South Park

RPM

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Didn’t they do a whole thing bitching about streaming services? Now you can’t even watch on cable? That’s annoying.

43 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

This is a ”special”, not part of a regular season. 

When they finally get to a “season”, it will be on CC as usual.

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yes it’s part of the deal they made with Paramount 

Yeah, there's still some weird contract/rights shit going on, and Paramount gets these "specials" and there is a lawsuit between HBOMax and Paramount.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/south-park-lawsuit-hbo-max-sues-paramount-1235534780/

The lawsuit alleges that when HBO Max bid on the “South Park” streaming rights, it did so with the assurance that there would be three new seasons of 10 episodes each. The suit alleges, however, that only two episodes were delivered for the first of those seasons and only six for the second. HBO Max understands that the third season will also consist of of six episodes — for a total of 14 across the three seasons.

The suit alleges that new episodes are far more valuable than old ones, and that therefore HBO Max dramatically overpaid for the library. 

Meanwhile, in 2021, MTV — a Paramount subsidiary — announced a $900 million deal with Parker and Stone for exclusive “South Park” content that would run on Paramount+. In the press release, an MTV executive was quoted as saying that the deal would “help fuel Paramount+.”

The suit also quotes Stone as saying, “We have fuck you money now” in reference to the deal.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

HBO Max argues that the deal required diverting content that should have fallen under its 2019 contract to Paramount+ instead. The suit alleges that Paramount engaged in “verbal trickery” and “grammatical sleight-of-hand,” characterizing the new content as “movies,” “films” or “events” — but not “episodes” — to avoid its obligations under the 2019 agreement.

Under the MTV deal, Paramount+ would get 14 “made for streaming” movies. Four of those “movies” have already run on Paramount+: “South Park: Post Covid,” “South Park: Post Covid: The Return of Covid,” “South Park The Streaming Wars Part 1,” and “South Park The Streaming Wars Part 2.”

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Is this on Comedy Central or Paramount Plus? I can't figure out anymore which South Park and can see and which I can't. I'm not even sure I want to watch the "Panderverse" special. From the ads it sounds like the preachy South Park that's not as funny. Yeah we get it, movie studios are including more women and gay versions of characters. It feels like the Streaming Wars special that was way too preachy and not very funny. Pi Pi is a terribly unfunny character, who decided we needed two full movies with him as a lead?

Also, my six year old son knows about Prime drink because they advertise on some of the Youtube videos he likes. It's just Gatorade, right?

Edited by 'stache

7 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

If it’s a one-off kinda thing, it’s been paramount. 

actual season is hbo/max.

Yep. Actual season that airs on TV + past seasons show up on Max. The curated specials are all Paramount+. That was the agreement made. 

So turns out my wife re-started the PP subscription last month, lol. Watched Panderverse and Cred. As I suspected, Panderverse was annoying and preachy. We fucking get it already. A few funny parts but just Bill Maher style grumpfest in my opinion. Cred was pretty good, Randy with his dick out made me laugh way too hard. Overall pretty good.

I've been watching some old clips and I kind of wish they'd do more random comedy with the characters. Not everything has to be topical. I'm not sure the current stuff will have the staying power of the old stuff because it's just way too specific to points in time. Even on trans issues and whatnot Mr(s). Garrison was pretty funny. Him as trump wasn't nearly as funny.

Edited by 'stache