Buying a car over the internet / phone

I'm in the market for a 2020 Toyota 4Runner. I want it to be 2020 and not 2019 because they finally added some key safety features (adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, etc) for this year. Therefore I'm only looking at new cars.

Most of the dealerships in my area (Fort Worth / Dallas) have very similar pricing. I'm not sure if it's set by Toyota or if they actually have some flexibility over that. I'm fairly specific about what I want so one of the local dealerships was able to find a car that meets these specs but it was located in San Antonio. The price they quoted was $42,349 which seemed fair.

I went home and searched cars.com for the San Antonio area so I could see pictures of it. It seems like I found the car and the asking price at the San Antonio dealership is $39,360, basically $3k cheaper. I was a little surprised by this price so I called the San Antonio dealership to verify that the listing description and price are accurate, which they are.

The San Antonio dealership is willing to sell it to me over the phone and ship it to Fort Worth, but the only downside with that is that I can't physically see it or drive it until after I own it. It's a new car so it seems like the potential for any negative surprises are pretty low, but you never know for sure.

I've also reached out to the local dealership to see if they can still try to transfer it but honor the lower price. They are checking on it today but it didn't sound too promising.

Any thoughts? Any reason I shouldn't just buy it over the phone to save $3k?

Edited by wild_turkey

23 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I'm in the market for a 2020 Toyota 4Runner. I want it to be 2020 and not 2019 because they finally added some key safety features (adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, etc) for this year. Therefore I'm only looking at new cars.

Most of the dealerships in my area (Fort Worth / Dallas) have very similar pricing. I'm not sure if it's set by Toyota or if they actually have some flexibility over that. I'm fairly specific about what I want so one of the local dealerships was able to find a car that meets these specs but it was located in San Antonio. The price they quoted was $42,349 which seemed fair.

I went home and searched cars.com for the San Antonio area so I could see pictures of it. It seems like I found the car and the asking price at the San Antonio dealership is $39,360, basically $3k cheaper. I was a little surprised by this price so I called the San Antonio dealership to verify that the listing description and price are accurate, which they are.

The San Antonio dealership is willing to sell it to me over the phone and ship it to Fort Worth, but the only downside with that is that I can't physically see it or drive it until after I own it. It's a new car so it seems like the potential for any negative surprises are pretty low, but you never know for sure.

I've also reached out to the local dealership to see if they can still try to transfer it but honor the lower price. They are checking on it today but it didn't sound too promising.

If you've driven a 2020 that's comparably equipped and like it, go for it.  You know what you are getting.  

I don’t know that Id be worried about a new vehicle purchase like that. My boss bought a Toyota from a guy in West Virginia over the internet and took a colossal fucking. Frame was broken in multiple places, fenders cut up inside torn to hell. Over paid for it and then had to have it shipped to him.

6 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Recommend you shop the 39K price to other dealers in the DFW area.    If you can wait,  they can order one for your specs if not available.   Personal opinion,   but I prefer to buy from a local dealer or one within 50 mile radius for warranty, service work, etc.   Service seems more personal, maybe,  maybe not.  Most dealers will match prices.   

Don't have time at the moment to search,  but on Surly or tos there was a thread about sending emails  to various dealers and getting them to match prices.    Also,  check Edmunds or KBB for pricing.   Others may be familiar with other sites.

https://www.edmunds.com/tmv.html

https://www.kbb.com/ 

New car so 0 miles.

I searched cars.com within a 500 mile radius and this is the only one that matches my preferred specs and color. I suppose other dealerships can try to have it transferred in or order a new one from the factory, but it doesn’t seem like anyone can beat the price.

I’m gonna buy it directly from San Antonio and have it shipped.

Nothing to worry about from a factory dealership with a car that has never been titled.

I run my vehicle through my company as does my partner.  We always order exactly what we want from a dealer and have them delivered b/c we have some specific options that we both need and finding that on a lot in the right color with the correct other option combos would be impossible.

Never see or drive them until they show up with the paperwork to sign.  Same deal, just coming from the factory vs. a dealership that happens to have it already.

• Like 1

I'd go to one of the DFW dealerships first and find the one through reviews (knowing they can't be always the best reference) and test drive and then tell them I want to buy from you, but if you can't beat this deal in SA, I'm jumping on Southwest flight in a few hours and going to go pick it up.

I am surprised you can't find what you are looking for up in the DFW area.  I know someone who went up to Grand Prairie from this area to get a  TRD Pro a couple of years ago which was surprising because the San Antonio Toyota dealerships are fairly competitive  with  most of their vehicle offerings.

If you are a Costco member you might try their program. I just bought a new 2019 4runner that way in Austin. I test drove one on Thurs and went to buy the one I wanted on sat and was in and out of there in 45 mins. I barely even looked at the one I bought, it only had 10 miles on it

Although that $3000 off sounds like a good deal so I'd just buy it over the phone or go down there and buy it and have a road trip back

• Like 1

shopping cars via phones to different dealerships is one of the best ways to buy cars. you don't have to visit them and go through the bullshit with their hidden "finance manager" during price negotiations.

with that said, if the SA car has what you want, i would as to get a picture of the car, the mileage, and then sticker showing all the options. that way you know exactly what you are getting and if it deviates, then you have some evidence should you need to dispute the vehicle vs what you thought you were purchasing.

6 hours ago, Updawg said:

If you are a Costco member you might try their program. I just bought a new 2019 4runner that way in Austin. I test drove one on Thurs and went to buy the one I wanted on sat and was in and out of there in 45 mins. I barely even looked at the one I bought, it only had 10 miles on it

Although that $3000 off sounds like a good deal so I'd just buy it over the phone or go down there and buy it and have a road trip back

@updawg -   I am also considering a 4Runner.    If you have time,  please PM me with your experiences.   Or here,  just don't want to derail the thread. 

Edited by torre

I had one shipped from Dallas to Waco sign unseen on my last purchase. They dropped it and the keys off at my work and I drove it home. Prices were 2-3K cheaper in the Metroplex, but I knew I liked the make/model. If you are financing be sure and take the dealer finance options if it comes with a 1K or so discount then refi with your credit union of choice after the promotional period is up. I'm sure there's one in DFW that can get you 1.99% right now.

Yeah, take a Vonlane down for $100 and drive it home.  Easy peasy.  

$3000 delta is certainly worth making some adjustments for.  

Just remember though---you need to buy your vehicles through a local, professionally trained auto consultant.  It's not just about the undercoating and improved wheel packages, it's about the fantastic financing they can offer you which just so happens to be one cubicle over.  csb/ I am literally banned from Texas Auto Dealers Association events because I shouted something like that once at a conference in San Antonio.  Apparently, their monopoly has been more than fair with unbanked Hispanic customers for the last 100 years all over Texas.  

Costco has to have a separate wall between them and their own liquor store in Texas.

Eye Doctors had to have a wall between their office and their dispensary for decades in Texas.

Auto parts store has to have a wall between their retail shop and their service shop in Texas.

But, "Oh, you like that new Toyota?  I can give you $1000 off that sticker price if you use XYZ Financing Corp.  Best part is they are located...right down the hall."

A legal cartel and scam.  

Anyway, your new car sounds cool.  I've noticed the paint jobs on new 4Runners look like YETI coolers.  

When I called the San Antonio Toyota dealership a few days ago, they transferred me to whichever new car salesman was available and he’s the one I’ve spoken to since. He seems interested in making the sale and he’s been willing to do what it takes to get it done. No pressure to upgrade trim, extended warranty, etc.

He and one other person are going to personally deliver it to me in FW on Tuesday for no extra charge. They aren’t asking me to sign anything until I see it so this really seems like a no-brainer.

I could’ve flown down there one way but I really didn’t want to and I am pretty busy for the next few weeks. This makes life easier.

Just remember though---you need to buy your vehicles through a local, professionally trained auto consultant.  It's not just about the undercoating and improved wheel packages, it's about the fantastic financing they can offer you which just so happens to be one cubicle over.  csb/ I am literally banned from Texas Auto Dealers Association events because I shouted something like that once at a conference in San Antonio.  Apparently, their monopoly has been more than fair with unbanked Hispanic customers for the last 100 years all over Texas.  
Costco has to have a separate wall between them and their own liquor store in Texas.
Eye Doctors had to have a wall between their office and their dispensary for decades in Texas.
Auto parts store has to have a wall between their retail shop and their service shop in Texas.
But, "Oh, you like that new Toyota?  I can give you $1000 off that sticker price if you use XYZ Financing Corp.  Best part is they are located...right down the hall."
A legal cartel and scam.  

Anyway, your new car sounds cool.  I've noticed the paint jobs on new 4Runners look like YETI coolers.  

b3978303ba958f599793a15cd5b1f9c3.jpg

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

A legal cartel and scam.  

Sounds like the Texas Wall Builders Cartel is sittin fat n happy.

• Like 1

Had the car delivered to my house today. Everything was as expected.

If anyone is in the San Antonio area and in the market for a Toyota, I can’t recommend North Park Toyota enough. The salesman was Jose Gutierrez who was very up front, professional, no bullshit. Price was the best I found in Texas.

• Like 2

Dude, take a damn Greyhound bus to SA, buy your rig, and drive it up to DFW.  It's not that hard really.

Five years ago I flew to Miami and bought a car and drove it back to Atlanta. It was really fun getting to know the new car that way. It was also somewhat intimidated because the interior had about 100 buttons in reach of the driver and I didn’t know what half of them did.

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Five years ago I flew to Miami and bought a car and drove it back to Atlanta. It was really fun getting to know the new car that way. It was also somewhat intimidated because the interior had about 100 buttons in reach of the driver and I didn’t know what half of them did.

Don't touch the wed button.

19 hours ago, Bernard said:

How can it be the best price in Texas if it’s the only one available in Texas? What are you comparing it to?

Bernard

I compared to similar cars that were slightly different. Most dealerships are selling 2020 4Runners for MSRP or very close to it. This particular car was ~$3k below MSRP and this dealership in San Antonio had multiple other 4Runners that were priced similarly. They seem to be an outlier in a good way.

I kept thinking there would be a catch but there wasn't. Brand new car delivered to my house 4.5 hours away, no surprises, no funny business.

We (see me) were in the market for a new truck. Went on Saturday to a dealership and played the game for a 3.5 hours. Drove 5 different f150’s, did some negotiating on prices for various trim models, etc. Once we got an offer we were good with told them we wanted to sleep on it.

Shopped around that price today. Found a dealership that beat that price. Showed up after work to visually inspect it, test drive again, etc.

Spent a little time negotiating, discussed cash only price, etc. Ended up 32% off.

We tried to lower the price even more if we would finance through them, but they won’t give a good interest rate, so cash payment it is.

Why not finance it for a week and then pay it off

I was more frustrated by the rate, but either way they weren’t knocking anymore off the price whether we financed through them or not. Which I found was odd, but overall happy with the price we got.