Paris zoo unveils the "blob", an organism with no brain but (almost) 720 sexes

clapclapclap

There's a fungus among us?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-zoo-blob/paris-zoo-unveils-the-blob-an-organism-with-no-brain-but-720-sexes-idUSKBN1WV2AD

Spoiler

PARIS (Reuters) - A Paris zoo showcased a mysterious new organism on Wednesday, dubbed the “blob”, a yellowish unicellular small living being which looks like a fungus but acts like an animal.

This newest exhibit of the Paris Zoological Park, which goes on display to the public on Saturday, has no mouth, no stomach, no eyes, yet it can detect food and digest it.

The blob also has almost 720 sexes, can move without legs or wings and heals itself in two minutes if cut in half.

“The blob is a living being which belongs to one of nature’s mysteries”, said Bruno David, director of the Paris Museum of Natural History, of which the Zoological Park is part.

“It surprises us because it has no brain but is able to learn (...) and if you merge two blobs, the one that has learned will transmit its knowledge to the other,” David added.

The blob was named after a 1958 science-fiction horror B-movie, starring a young Steve McQueen, in which an alien life form - The Blob - consumes everything in its path in a small Pennsylvania town.

“We know for sure it is not a plant but we don’t really if it’s an animal or a fungus,” said David.

“It behaves very surprisingly for something that looks like a mushroom (...) it has the behavior of an animal, it is able to learn.”

2337.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

EG_mrhwWkAAh465?format=jpg&name=360x360

EG_mrhqWsAAFmTS?format=jpg&name=360x360

Edited by clapclapclap

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

"The blob also has almost 720 sexes"

What does this even mean? Seriously, I guess i'm not "woke" on fungi gender identification.

The short answer is each cell has something like 3 different sets of genes with 16 variations apiece that all have to line up for one cell to mingle with another. 720 sexes is just an analogy.

Edit: Also it's not a fungus

Edited by Brian Fantana

47 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The short answer is each cell has something like 3 different sets of genes with 16 variations apiece that all have to line up for one cell to mingle with another. 720 sexes is just an analogy.

Edit: Also it's not a fungus

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

PARIS (Reuters) - A Paris zoo showcased a mysterious new organism on Wednesday, dubbed the “blob”, a yellowish unicellular small living being which looks like a fungus but acts like an animal.

3 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

The short answer is each cell has something like 3 different sets of genes with 16 variations apiece that all have to line up for one cell to mingle with another. 

Doesn't care, had sex

• Haha 2

On 10/17/2019 at 12:38 PM, Longhornfan1024 said:

Everything they just described also describes an alien being that will eventually take over the world and end humanity.  Along with this and AI robots, has not one scientist seen a fucking sci fi movie?  Kill it with fire.

Use the ai robots to fight the aliens.

dumb full house GIF

On 10/17/2019 at 12:32 PM, 'stache said:

"The blob also has almost 720 sexes"

What does this even mean? Seriously, I guess i'm not "woke" on fungi gender identification.

Lets see:

1) male, female, neither, both, other

2) cis, trans

3) queer, straight, bi, asexual, curious, neutered,

pick one of each, thats 5 x 2 x 6 = 60 permutations.

That's all I got. Somebody else needs to come up with the other 660 possibilities.

7 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Lets see:

1) male, female, neither, both, other

2) cis, trans

3) queer, straight, bi, asexual, curious, neutered,

pick one of each, thats 5 x 2 x 6 = 60 permutations.

That's all I got. Somebody else needs to come up with the other 660 possibilities.

Incel? 659 to go.

• Like 1