Mexican

Jack Straw

of course we all love tex-mex but I have been pretty impressed with the mexican food scene in austin.  wondering if there are some spots that are not on my radar, and what other folks thoughts are and favorite items at the places i did know.

el naranjo - this is a place i would have eaten at far more often but for the location on rainey.   now that they are closing the rainey location down and have just opened up the new spot on south lamar, it will be in my regular rotation.  went for dinner last week and was just an infinitely more pleasant experience.  we had the fundido with huitlacoche with corn tortillas and i had the pastel azteca with chorizo as the entree.  both were amazing.  duck breast with black mole is another one of my favorites, but definitely need to try more of the menu items

ATX cocina - i avoided this place for a while because the name is kind of stupid, but once i gave in and tried it, i was pretty impressed and have been several times.   “modern mexican.”  the roast chicken with white mole is one of my favorites, and is a good dish to split between two people as the entree (especially if you're like us - one likes dark meat and one likes white ).  the whole fish entree is really good too.  “salsa sampler” usually seems like kind of a rip off item, but i think its worth it here for the tortillas

comedor - been for dinner three times.  masa spaetzl is our favorite dish here.  bone marrow tacos are good, but seem overpriced for what you get.  the fish is the only entree we have tried, and have just rotated among several of the small dishes to share and have really enjoyed doing it that way.  the monster pork chop with mole looks legit though.

nixta tacqueria - tried this on opening day.  line way out the door and i’m pretty sure i was the youngest person in there by 10+ years.  /shrug.  there are maybe 7 all tables inside.  i wonder if they are going to expand into the space next door that looks to be used for storage and prep.  we had the beet tostada, the “enchilada” potosino with duck fat refried black beans which were both great, and the duck confit taco.  i would go back but would either get there right when it opens, or in an off-hour, until the “new place” hype dies down.

fonda san miguel - i dont think i've been there in 15+ years.  still worth going?

el elma - been once, enjoyed it, but i can’t take a place seriously if they can’t make their own tortillas.

polvo’s - been to the new downtown location twice - seems like an upgrade from the south 1st location.  enchiladas are good.  enchiladas de la casa remind me of las manitas so i go just for that.

el meson - judgeroy turned me on to this place when it was just the original shack out by the airport.  i will still stop at that one sometimes when i am over that way, but the new one on south lamar is more convenient, and nicer, if not lacking some of the authenticity of the original.  tinga, pibil, and pastor are my go-tos. 

suerte - goat barbacoa is worth the trip.  seriously.

what else?

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

what else?

El Dorado -- I always order the Rene's Enchiladas and a side of Calabasas.  The restaurant is too small though; its always crowded with a wait to be seated.  

As for Fonda, its still worth an occasional trip just for the atmosphere.  But I much prefer the food at Suerte and El Naranjo.  

Eldorado kicks all kinds of ass. I wish they could assume the lease next door, tear down the demising wall, and open up the space.  But I also have the eating and sleeping habits of an 80 year-old man, so I get there on the earlier side and avoid the long wait.

I recommend the Platos Fuertes, particularly the Carne Adovado.  You're welcome.

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Eldorado kicks all kinds of ass. I wish they could assume the lease next door, tear down the demising wall, and open up the space.  But I also have the eating and sleeping habits of an 80 year-old man, so I get there on the earlier side and avoid the long wait.

I recommend the Platos Fuertes, particularly the Carne Adovado.  You're welcome.

Yeah El Dorado is great.  It's in my old neighborhood, my parents still live there and I meet them there pretty regularly for dinner-- at 4:30. :) No waiting for us.

Some other good ones already mentioned, so I'll suggest two up here in my current 'hood in the CP.

Santa Catarina - On Cypress Creek, they also have a location in Lakeway I think but I've not been there.  They have a nice mix of interior Mexican and Tex-Mex.  Dishes like queso fundido, totopos, campechana, sopes, assorted meats and fishes grilled Mexican-style, and some rellenos and enchiladas that straddle Tex-Mex and Mex-Mex.  Really great happy hour prices on appetizers and decent drink specials.

Cielito Lindo- Also on Cypress Creek.  It's a tiny place with maybe 6 or 8 tables, also no liquor/beer license so BYOB.  Traditional interior  proteins like cochinita pibil, pastor, carne guisada, barbacoa.  The mole is really good, and the tamales are better than most.  Good pozole and sopes.  

Went to Sazon for the first time in years recently. The cochinita pibil was very good, as was the rice that accompanied it. The beans were quite bland though. The duck enmoladas at El Alma is one of my favorite dishes in town, and the chilango margarita is fantastic if you like spicy booze. My favorite Mexican place right now is Lichas Cantina. Amazing food, good drinks, and great prices. 

18 hours ago, utee94 said:

Santa Catarina - On Cypress Creek, they also have a location in Lakeway I think but I've not been there.  They have a nice mix of interior Mexican and Tex-Mex.  Dishes like queso fundido, totopos, campechana, sopes, assorted meats and fishes grilled Mexican-style, and some rellenos and enchiladas that straddle Tex-Mex and Mex-Mex.  Really great happy hour prices on appetizers and decent drink specials.

^This is a really good place.  Fun atmosphere.  I still enjoy going to Fonda San Miguel, but it may just be the nostalgia kicking in to gear. 

I'm with you on El Meson.  The atmosphere is a little bland, but the food is fantastic, and the ability to go to a nice dinner w/o dealing with parking issues is a bonus.

I remain a fan of Fonda San Miguel.  The menu never really changes, but I love the vibe and the food is always delicious.  Hardly groundbreaking, but to me it's like a favorite mom 'n pop steakhouse.  You know you're gonna enjoy your meal.

• Like 1

appreciate the suggestions.  cieleto lindo sounds like a place i would like.  i have been to sazon many years ago and honestly don't remember anything about it so that is probably worth a re-visit.  i think fonda san miguel would make a nice weekend visit also.  i do think we have tried licha's once as well.  there is another mexican place on east 6th or east 7th in an old house like that (which I have not been to) and i get them confused so i didn't mention that one.  

i know el dorado gets a lot of love here and we want to like it bc it is in my gf's hood and could be a great go-to, we appreciate a local success story, but we have been twice and both thought everything we tried was very average.  /shrug

another place on our list is hecho in mexico - have not been but the menu looks great - three different kinds of mole?  yes please - and it was recommended by someone who grew up in mexico city.  anyone familiar?

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If Hecho in Mexico is the place on Brodie (? somewhere south), then yes, it's very very good.  I had a week-long training session in the area and was disappointed I only discovered it a few days in.  It was terrific.

thats the one.  we drove down to go a couple weeks ago but took a last minute detour to Via 313

15 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

thats the one.  we drove down to go a couple weeks ago but took a last minute detour to Via 313

This was probably 10 years ago, so things may have changed, but I really liked it.  The owner was a good guy, too.   I should go back.  It's a long way down there, though.

• Like 1

Hecho is a couple miles from my house.  We went right when they opened 11 or something years ago and haven't been back.  We have neighbors that rave about it so maybe it's time for another chance.  Anything (almost) that stays open that long in Austin has to be good.

• Like 1

el naranjo - this is a place i would have eaten at far more often but for the location on rainey.   now that they are closing the rainey location down and have just opened up the new spot on south lamar, it will be in my regular rotation.  went for dinner last week and was just an infinitely more pleasant experience.  we had the fundido with huitlacoche with corn tortillas and i had the pastel azteca with chorizo as the entree.  both were amazing.  duck breast with black mole is another one of my favorites, but definitely need to try more of the menu items

Good to know about the Lamar location. I have wanted to try that place for awhile but did not want to deal with Rainey street. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
4 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Azul Tequila next to Target on Ben White. A great Tex-Mex and Interior place with a great Tequila selection, I love the Enchiladas Pipian which has a pumpkin mole sauce. The owners also own Papalote Tacos which is a great authentic Taco place.

Their quesadillas are sensational - very different from any quesadilla I've ever had.

4 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Azul Tequila next to Target on Ben White. A great Tex-Mex and Interior place with a great Tequila selection, I love the Enchiladas Pipian which has a pumpkin mole sauce. The owners also own Papalote Tacos which is a great authentic Taco place.

I'll have to try it. Mom lives just across mopac from there.

5 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Azul Tequila is a good one, haven't been there in a long time.  never tried the pipian enchiladas, and that sounds amazing and worth making another trip to try.    damn, i may go for lunch today.  i was excited when they opened up the second location off 2222 as that is a lot closer to me, but it didn't seem as good as the one on S. Lamar and I kind of forgot about it.  Papalote is legit too.  

I second/third/fourth that remark.  I only eat there on the back patio.  Haven't been to the one on Ben White for a long time, but I always liked their food. We discovered Mariachi Relampago there who we hired to play our wedding reception cocktail hour.  Always holds a special place in my heart.  

I've been having to go to our Lakeway office again recently and maybe it's because I've been missing good Mexican food lately, but the Flores store out there and Santa Catarina are both really, really good.  I've never been to Salsa's or Don Mario's but drive by both almost daily.  

Also, our distaste for national Mexican chains is well-known...but during Covid-19...it's all about having a good patio with plenty of seating to be far away from other people.  Whilst still offering above average quesadillas and cold drinks.  For that, I'd have to recommend Abuelo's off Loop 360.  A corny and overpriced chain, but their patio is massive and you some days you can have it all to yourself.  Most quesadillas there are good to very good.   And the Franchisee/GM folks are glad to have you and usually pick up a round of drinks during each visit.  

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Serrano's serves something worth eating?  That's news to me.  That place sucks giant dick.

Their fajitas and queso aren't bad.

Although I don't understand bitching about non-wood-fire grilled fajitas. Give me a hot even grill 10 times out of 10. This ain't BBQ.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Serrano's serves something worth eating?  That's news to me.  That place sucks giant dick.

Their traditional Tex-Mex ain't that great. But their carnitas and grilled items are pretty damn good. Mojo de ajo chicken thighs are delicious as is there fire roasted verde salsa.