Pinto Beans

hopkinsnhorns

So this is one of the biggest weaknesses of our cook team.  Being a yankee, my only experience is with the sweet baked beans, not the pinto beans you get a Texas bbq places.

Anyone have a good recipe?  Ideally I'd chop up some burnt ends to throw in the pot, but since the bean turn-in time is about 2 hours before brisket, they wouldn't have enough time to get to know eachother before I had to submit them.

I'm firing up the pit next week for a small employee appreciation thing to cook some ribs and chicken wings and was wondering if there was another cut of meat I could smoke ahead of time in that same 4-6 hour time frame and reserve/freeze to use in my beans when the BBQ competition arrives.  I was thinking like a chuck roast or some other fatty beef cut.

pound of beans washed and picked through. let soak overnight with water ( or google quick soak method)

1 onion rough chop

2 jalapenos left whole 

3 or 4  cloves garlic chopped

quarter pound or so of salt pork diced

1 smoked ham hock

water

salt to taste at the very end

in a pot on medium heat render the salt pork and ham hock for maybe 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapenos and onion. cook for 8 to 10 minutes. add the beans and water to cover the beans by 1 to 2 inches above the beans. bring to a boil and turn down to a slow simmer. at this point I like to partially cover and let cook for at least 2 hours or really more. stir occasionally. add more water as necessary. you want to cook long enough to see the "gravy" form. beans cooked right should be a little thick and not watery. once you see the gravy form add the salt to taste. good beans should take 3 to 4 hours. 

• Like 3

you have enough time to use serious eats' cassoulet method.  do that.  just use bbq seasonings and meats instead of french. i made red beans using camelia brand beans and cajun meats (smoked andouille, fresh andouille, tasso) and creole seasonings (cayenne, sage, trinity).  absolutely finominole. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

edit: i should just come cook the beans for you

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 3

don't over think this hop :

pinto beans (of course) also use half chicken broth / half water 

large tub of HEB HOT pico de gallo (one tube per 1lb of beans)

two meaty chunks of pork salt or some good smoked sausage

generous amount of Bolner's Pinto Bean Seasoning

extra garlic powder

little extra chili powder

salt << be careful here because salty beans are horrible, but so are beans with no salt

two packets of GOYA Sazon seasonings 

optional : can of rotel

optional : small can of mild jalepenos or a little bit of chopped carrots and celery 

give them plenty of time to cook, you want them nice and soft 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

extra garlic powder

salt << be careful here because salty beans are horrible, but so are beans with no salt

optional : small can of mild jalepenos or a little bit of chopped carrots and celery 

Yes to the Sazon. 

• Like 1

1 lbs soaked pinto beans
Fiesta pinto bean seasoning
2 packs Sazon
Large yellow onion
4 jalapeños
Smoked ham hock
Beef stock

Simple and delicious.

To turn it up to 11:
Smoke a pack pork country “ribs”. Finish by braising in bbq sauce and onions on the smoker until tender. Remove and put the beans on the smoker. About half way, put the ribs and braising liquid in the beans and finish cooking. Best pork and beans ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

For those who are like me and forget to plan ahead, 1 hour in the Instant Pot turns out some good pinto beans as well.

I can't remember the exact cooking time but I remember thinking if I did it again, I'd cut off 10 minutes of the recipe and check them at that point. 

18 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

I got this recipe from his book, and they cook up quite tasty. He calls for 1.5 T of kosher salt, but I've found that a bit salty for my taste.  I start with 2t and add as needed while cooking.  Don't skimp on the brisket.  A bit of pork shoulder and/or sausage takes it up another notch.

Edited by Dutch

I've got to fire up the smoker next week for a few hours and was looking for a brisket substitute for the beans I could smoke during that time.  Even if it's not done, I can wrap and finish whatever in the oven to achieve the desired tenderness.  I was thinking maybe a chuck roast, which I could shred and freeze to add to the beans during the competition.  Any ideas on what cut would be good?  The alternative is to go with salt pork and smoked hocks, but I think beef would be a better option to set me apart.

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

extra garlic powder

I just hit up the produce section

beans

cebolla

garlic

tomato

jalapenos

oregano

leftover fatty pork or beef

salt

Fin.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Am I the only one that adds a can of beer? You guys are heathens.

The previous guy used to soak the beans overnight in Bud Light (sorry @Steel Shank).  Then they would rinse and boil in chicken broth then add a large tub of HEB pico and a couple cans of beer.  I thought they tasted like shit, and I think the Bud Light bath was to blame.  That and hot wilted bits of cilantro leaves left them with a off-putting, bitter taste.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:20 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Simmer with Clamato. Adds both msg and some high fructose corn syrup. There is a big thread at Texags on using Clamato in making pintos.  https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1394477/1#discussion

be careful eating beans from Aggies, I heard they add a lil sheep jizz for seasoning

28 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

The previous guy used to soak the beans overnight in Bud Light (sorry @Steel Shank).  Then they would rinse and boil in chicken broth then add a large tub of HEB pico and a couple cans of beer.  I thought they tasted like shit, and I think the Bud Light bath was to blame.  That and hot wilted bits of cilantro leaves left them with a off-putting, bitter taste.

I soak over night in water, but I add a can of beer to chicken stock to cook. #nocilantro

cilantro blows.  recipe calls for, say, 1/4 bunch.  you chop it up, somehow half of it ends up on the floor, in the living room, on the dog, etc.  then it starts to rot immediately, and if you don't finish whatever it is you put it in that day, it's got floating bits of slimy dark green cilantro leaf in it.  the rest of the bunch you stuck back in the bag in the fridge, and will find at the bottom of the drawer 3 weeks later, as a pool of brown sludge.  fuck that shit.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

My recipe calls for a case of Bud Light, but it goes in me, not the beans.

I have a couple of members of my family (females) who prefer Bush’s candied beans to pinto beans. I started adding Ranch Style beans into the Bush’s. I’m up to a 50:50 ratio with no complaints, but at this rate, I may not live long enough to complete the mission. I may try Aaron Franklin’s recipe for myself and let them have their Bush’s.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Our beloved maid growing up made the best pinto beans. Just salt and pepper and salt pork. They cooked two to three hours and were tender but not mushy. Adding the perfect amount of salt was key. She never measured anything but kept tasting them until it was just right.

Soak the beans in bourbon overnight, preferably something barrel aged. Drain off the liquid and set aside the beans, then get some extra virgin olive oil searing hot in the pot and add the beans back in to get a nice sear on them (this will seal in the bean juices). Once the beans have seared add your shallot, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, tomato paste, and a handful of saffron. Cook that down for a couple of hours and then pour in a few liters of a nice, hoppy IPA. Let that come to a rolling boil for 6 or so hours and then let cool completely before serving.