Pinto Beans

hopkinsnhorns

20 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Soak the beans in bourbon overnight, preferably something barrel aged. Drain off the liquid and set aside the beans, then get some extra virgin olive oil searing hot in the pot and add the beans back in to get a nice sear on them (this will seal in the bean juices). Once the beans have seared add your shallot, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, tomato paste, and a handful of saffron. Cook that down for a couple of hours and then pour in a few liters of a nice, hoppy IPA. Let that come to a rolling boil for 6 or so hours and then let cool completely before serving. 

I mean, I get it, but this actually sounds pretty damn good.  All he missed was the prosciutto and Iberico ham hocks.

Don't use Shiner cheer. I remembered that beer being a more spice-forward boch. I didn't know it was liquid cherries. I poured it in a pot of chili before tasting and smelling and it took 5 hours to cook away the smell and taste. Chili was salvaged. But barely. 

My go-to beer for beans or chili is a negro modelo. 

Edited by irishtexan

For my comp beans I would fry bacon or at least put a spoon of bacon grease in the pot, then I used better then bullion chicken base, then a bullion cube of onion, garlic, tomato and cilantro, I'd add a pack of goya sazon, uncle chris's steak seasoning and a shiner bock

Edited by TXLNGHRN10

All this talk of pinto beans made me hungry. Franklin’s recipe and 1.5 (~ 3/4c each) cups of chopped leftover brisket and pork shoulder. The pork adds another layer of flavor.

Started simmering @ 9am after an overnight soak in 8c water, 1/2c seasoning, and 1c finely diced onion.

329dfa7c83e12e48119d5c29788744ce.jpg

Coming along nicely after 5 hrs.

59a1a4de2197ad4232e707d6fe4efff6.jpg

Plan on letting the liquid reduce a bit further, to a rich almost gravy-like consistency.

Skillet cornbread is in my future as well.

• Like 5

On 10/18/2019 at 8:47 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

All of those are fine but the best pinto beans are as follows........

Salt

Pepper

3 or 4 whole pieces of bacon

That's it.

That's the list.

There’s no beans in your recipe. Or water. 

It’s just salt and pepper bacon. 

• Like 1

I use the HEB Pinto Bean seasoning but not too much, a small slab of salt pork,   add some onion (1015)  and 1/2 a  can  Rotel diced tomatoes/ green chilies .  Maybe 30 mins before they are done, I add the cilantro.  I'll throw in a little salt and pepper during the cook time periodically. 

I prefer the crock pot method, but most of the time it's the stove top due to time constraints.    Anyone tried the Instant Pot?   I just got one a few weeks ago, but haven't given a try with Pintos.  How long is the cook time? 

Pinto beans need beer. They require beer. Shiner Bock is the best for these purposes.

1lb pintos

3 cups pico (don't be a pussy, make your own. Roma tomato, white onion, jalapeno pepper, cilantro)

3 cloves garlic, minced

3 tbsp comino

2 tbsp coarse kosher

1 tbsp coarse ground black pepper

unsalted beef stock (the unsalted part is important, sodium is not your friend here)

water

2 bottles shiner bock

3 cups chopped brisket

rinse beans then soak IN WATER overnight. Stock adds sodium content and makes for thick, soggy beans. Contrary to popular opinion here, good pintos (borrachos) should have a thin liquid.

At cook time, drain and rinse beans again. Put beans in stock pot with unsalted beef stock (kitchen basics brand is inexpensive and pretty good) and water, 1:1 on the liquid. Liquid should cover beans by 3-4" (depends on dimensions of your pot). Bring beans to quick boil, then reduce to low heat and a slow boil.  Cook beans until nearly tender then reduce heat to simmer. Add beer, garlic, and seasoning, continue cooking until beans are tender. Then add prepared pico and brisket and remove from heat. Rest the beans for 15 minutes before plating for judging. Pico should still be moderately al dente and the liquid clear.

If you've had my beans before, that's the recipe (except I stopped putting brisket in them about a year ago).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

We eat a lot of pinto beans. I make my own pork broth whether using dry pintos or cans of Bush’s. Don’t like salt pork as it’s basically a salt block. I want a lot of meat in my pintos. I’ll fry up chopped bacon, ham, and maybe sausage , all heavily smoked. Add a chopped large onion and garlic til soft. Add water and bring to boil then drop to simmer. Season at this point with black pepper, red pepper flakes.

Add your soaked sorted dry beans at this point. If you like epazote add here as well. Or a couple of whole dry chipotles. Bring to boil, then reduce to low. Cook til tender. If you like em plain you can eat here. Or here is where you season. I’ll add a chopped fresh seeded jalapeño or two, or a canned chipotle. A can of crushed tomatoes. Ancho Chile powder and cumin. Salt to taste. Return to simmer for an hour or so. I like them creamy not soupy. I like mine with chopped fresh cilantro and onion as served.

Instant pot. 2 cups dry beans, unsoaked. 4 cups water. A big dollop of bacon grease. Half a chopped onion. A few leaves of epazote if you like. Pressure cook 1 hour. Natural release. Salt and season at this point.