African Safari

Ghost of LL

8 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

There aren't many people who will fail to be impressed by the exotic mount you have in your game room and your stories about Africa. Even if it's a canned hunt, it's still one of the premier status symbols. 

I'd disagree. There are many people (more and more actually) who are not impressed by a trophy mount. I'm one of them, and I hunted much of my life. 

I ate what I killed, and didn't kill gratuitously, and that's what a trophy hunt pretty much is. Killing a lion, giraffe, rhino, elephant ?  No, not gonna do it, and not impressed by the sight of one hanging in the trophy room. 

I have no Disney delusions about the cruelty of nature, and how animals die in the wild, but taking out an animal in a canned hunt is  lame beyond belief.  What's the great white hunter story for something like that ? 

More money will be made thru tourism than killing top tier animals.  The industry that's grown up around the canned hunt industry is animal cruelty in the way they're bred, kept in horrible conditions, in confined spaces, under fed, abused, etc.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Question about the safaris. We have a family member that needs to keep medication cool during the trip (insulin). Is that possible, or will the temperature in the accommodations get warm/hot?

The place I stayed was middle of the road, and it had decent WiFi and a minibar in each room.  You should be fine.  Even if your individual unit lacks refrigeration, 99.9% of the camps will have the ability to keep it cold for you.

11 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Question about the safaris. We have a family member that needs to keep medication cool during the trip (insulin). Is that possible, or will the temperature in the accommodations get warm/hot?

Our vehicle had a powered fridge/cooler, and all the lodges obviously has fridge, even the tenting glamping accomodation.  They make extra money from selling beers.

12 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

There aren't many people who will fail to be impressed by the exotic mount you have in your game room and your stories about Africa. Even if it's a canned hunt, it's still one of the premier status symbols. 

says who? I'm a lifelong hunter, I think this shit is crap and reeks of tiny dick syndrome. Showing off like that says alot about someone and how they see themselves. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 3:04 PM, 52-80 said:

Just go to safaribookings.com and have a look around

This is a great site, and through them I found a number of operators in Kenya and Tanzania that are a good bit cheaper than some of the places with headquarters in the US/UK.  One of the operators I'm pricing out is Giltedge Africa, which has its United States office on Bee Cave Road about a half-mile from my house, which is pretty damned convenient.