San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

40 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I guess if that trade is made, Nikola Vučević is coming. 

The contracts match up, but Vucevic is on the hook for three more years after this one at $24 million per. Even though he's a bit more athletic than your average 5, I'm not sure how on board I am with paying that much for a center in an increasingly center-less league. Also, the floor spacing is pretty horrible as is. He and LMA on the court together isn't going to help that. Of course, getting rid of Mr. No-3-Point-Shooting-NBA Wing-in-2019 would probably more than make up for it. Still, I'd be more inclined to take a flyer on Aaron Gordon but they would have to give up something else to make the dollars work. I don't think they are giving up Jonathon Isaac or Mo Bamba. I'd also be more than happy to take Aminu off their hands. Gordon + Aminu for Derozen? I think the dollars work. I would probably cum in my pants for that. 

Regardless, they have a logjam in the front court. Spurs have a logjam in the backcourt. It makes too much sense. Neither Aminu or Vucevik can be traded until December and January, respectively. So, even if something like this goes down, odds are it isn't happening for awhile.

Dick Jefferson, Pau Gasol and DeRozan amounted to monumental fuck ups for the Spurs. I still can't get over the contract Pau landed, Buford must've hit up the sauce before offering a washed up big $16 million yearly over a 3 year span. The good news is DeRozan is likely gone one way or another in 2020-2021. I just hope the Spurs can acquire something useful in return for a notorious playoff choker who doesn't fit into the modern NBA.

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Derozen has actually been pretty good tonight. I can't wait to watch him shit himself in the fourth. 

Also, giving up 106 in three quarters probably isn't a recipe for success. Bruce Bowen is probably rolling over in his grave. 

-10 because he doesn't play defense..... only one worse tonight is....

10 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Goddamn this team fucking sucks.
Except for Rudy.

Andrew Wiggins found his balls.

Rudy -16.  Some of it is probably coincidental and a little bad luck, as Rudy hasn't been poor season long, but DeRozan is our worse BPM regular besides Marco.

A fairly miserable start to the season.  We can't stop anyone and we can't score efficiently or effectively.  They're basically trying to be the most inefficient team in basketball by living in the mid-range.  We bucked trends last year, but how long can one expect to try and beat..... math?  Especially when your foundations offensively are all over 30 and 2 of them are over 33 or older.  We suck defensively especially in keeping folks out of the paint, so why would we try to play our best defensive perimeter players together for a few minutes?  We had a top 20 pick last year, but he only helps if we actually give him minutes to develop him, why would we do that?  It's only 11 games, but if we're say 12-13 or 11-14, then PATFO are going to have to start answering some tough questions and maybe putting their pride on the back burner.  5 out of the next 6 should be competitive games in which we should have a decent shot at victory.  2-4 or 1-5 and.... that'll be fun!

Our rotations are confounding.  Pop says he cares about defense yet we play Forbes, statistically our worst defender, the 3rd most minutes.  Marco is still getting minutes.  Lyles is still starting (I have a feeling because we don't have anyone else).  Patty and Forbes have played together more minutes than DJM and White.  Just strange.  I'm sure the coaching staff will figure it out.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

5 out of the next 6 should be competitive games in which we should have a decent shot at victory.  2-4 or 1-5 and.... that'll be fun!

You're right. If they don't make some hay over the next few games, it could get ugly. This team was terrible on the road last year and so far they only road W they have was against the ghost of the Warriors.

The next 10 games could be rough. They are @ Orlando tomorrow. The Magic have struggled and especially so on offense, but there's nothing like a home game against the Spurs to get your offense going. Hopefully Derozan goes off and the Magic think he's the missing piece to lead them to the promised land of a first round playoff exit. But we will be generous and call that one a W.

Then they fly home for the second night of a b2b against Portland who will have had two days rest, revenge, and the start of a 6 game roadie for them. That is almost a guaranteed loss. The next game @ Dallas, is likely a loss. Then they have a seemingly winnable road game against @ Washington who they barely beat them at home this year. After they lost to the Griz at home, I don't have any confidence in them, anywhere. @ Sixers is a loss. @ Knicks will be the second night of a back to back and for some reason, the Knicks bring out the absolute worst in them. That one is a coin flip at best. Then they come home for at least two losses from the Lakers, Twolves, and Clippers. So what's that? 4-5 if things break right including games against 3 of the worst teams in the league. Yikes.

I don't think anyone knows what to make of this team.  It's very early although by next Friday, we'll have completed 20% of the season.  This isn't the type of team which can rip off one of those long Spursian winning streaks, IMO.  Something like 17-4 or 19-5.  I don't see that from this team, but I guess you never know.  It's so flawed and we knew the wheels would come off some of these guys eventually.  Our perimeter D is terrible yet we continue to play Forbes, Patty, and Marco good minutes.  We don't protect the lane very well, yet we continue to play Lyles and Rudy at 4.  We need to decide what this team is going to hand their hats on. 

Our starting lineup is awful....

One thing which gives hope is last year's squad was pretty mediocre out of the gates (10-12) last year and then had a really good December and January (21-10) which propelled them into the playoffs so perhaps history repeats itself.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

DeMar is such a piece of shit fucking loser

Seriously dude, how much time can you possibly waste on two straight possessions? Did you have a bag on the Magic tonight? Just shoot a 3 you fucking pussy

If you were a team in the NBA, would you trade for this pussy? Just us, apparently. 

Just now, Kermit said:

If you were a team in the NBA, would you trade for this pussy? Just us, apparently. 

I mean we were forced into it to be fair. Kawhi is an even bigger piece of shit. 

And no I wouldn't trade for him right now even if I was a fringe playoff team. I'd take a 2nd rounder for this bum straight up. 

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We wanted to extend him!  Randle, Ingram, and Hart sound better than DD and Jakob's ladder?  Was last season's sub 50 win team and one and done playoff series worth it?  

Still amazed at how much credit the NBA world gives to Masai for having the “courage” to pull off that trade.

is it really courageous when all you’re giving up is a modern version of Willie Anderson?  He would have been committing front office malpractice to *not* pursue that deal.

Just now, Hate said:

That's from a few days ago and what most of us were referencing earlier when talking about trading DD for something.  They desperately need a playmaker on the perimeter and actually may be a good addition for them.  They're overstocked in the front court too.  His 0-4 as well as his -11 thus far tonight ain't helping his value though.