San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

I mean, we didn't have anything to trade for Paul George at that time so while it sucks, it's like wondering why we didn't trade for Anthony Davis last year or Kyrie Irving.  We had too much money wrapped up in our older guys like Manu, TP or Pau.  Just bad timing.

Moving on..... I really don't understand this.  We're getting run with the first unit because we can't defend anyone, not because we can't score.  Now, we're doubling down on our two worst perimeter players (besides Marco) as starters???  

Bryn and Patty are the same fucking guy pretty much!  We only need to be playing one of them, not two...

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

Not to twist the dagger but fuckkkkk

Paul George Says He Wanted 2017 Trade to Spurs to Team Up with Kawhi Leonard

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2863537-paul-george-says-he-wanted-2017-trade-to-spurs-to-team-up-with-kawhi-leonard

I don't feel bad at all about that.  In the second paragraph it sums it up

":but San Antonio lacked the assets to pair George with Leonard."

plus the spurs were fresh off a WCF appearance with no reason to turnover the roster.  Unless we find out Indiana would have taken lamarcus and pop declined, then this is a non story 

Couldn’t keep away. Turn on the game, players scoring on Patty at will and he turns the ball over. They go up 10. Yup. These are the Spurs now. Can we fucking tank yet? I had more fun watching the four young guys play together for four minutes than I did watching this shit for the majority of the short season. 

19 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Play this game with me. What teams would you not trade the spurs current roster for? Knicks, Pistons, cavs, wizards (mainly because of their cap) and Bulls. I'm pretty sure I'd do a full roster swap with every other team in the league. 

I would do the Wizards trade.

13 hours ago, Kermit said:

I would do the Wizards trade.

I love Bradley Beal but John Wall is 29, probably won't return this season, has a history of multiple serious knee/leg injuries in both legs for a guy who's game is predicated on quickness, almost surely won't ever be close to the same player he was after his most recent Achilles injury even if by some miracle he were to stay healthy in the future, and is owed the following salary:

2019-20 $37,800,000

2020-21 $40,824,000

2021-22 $43,848,000    

2022-23 $46,872,000

I would rather watch an endless loop of Demar Derozan fourth quarter and playoff game lowlights than sign up for that. 

No gracias.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I love Bradley Beal but John Wall is 29, probably won't return this season, has a history of multiple serious knee/leg injuries in both legs for a guy who's game is predicated on quickness, almost surely won't ever be close to the same player he was after his most recent Achilles injury even if by some miracle he were to stay healthy in the future, and is owed the following salary:

2019-20 $37,800,000

2020-21 $40,824,000

2021-22 $43,848,000    

2022-23 $46,872,000

I would rather watch an endless loop of Demar Derozan fourth quarter and playoff game lowlights than sign up for that. 

No gracias.

I’d rather pay that salary to a broken John Wall than watch another minute of Patty Mills in a Spurs uniform. That’s how done I truly am with this version of the Spurs. And I’ll quibble with your second to last paragraph, sir. You’re not going to watch Demar the playoffs. 

35 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

At the point trade dd and la and how for a top 5 pick

Huh?

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

I’d rather pay that salary to a broken John Wall than watch another minute of Patty Mills in a Spurs uniform. That’s how done I truly am with this version of the Spurs. And I’ll quibble with your second to last paragraph, sir. You’re not going to watch Demar the playoffs. 

We only owe him 13m+ more next season!  Doubt anyone takes his contract until next year.  We also have Rudy Gay on the books next season at 14.5 million.  Yea!  Those guys would be hard to move.  DD and LMA can still make a difference for certain clubs although I think some teams would want to know what DD wants to do with his PO next summer.

It's early in the season, but I'm growing closer to embracing the tank for a high lottery pick. The roster as it's constructed will clearly struggle reaching .500 when it's all said and done. Do LMA right and ship him off to a contender, DeRozan's game is a piss poor fit for Pop's system, especially at the 3. He can't defend or space the floor, the Spurs are already overloaded on offense with players that work the paint or shoot mid range jumpers and that's exactly why the offense is struggling to generate points consistently. Forbes is legitimately the only 3 point threat in the starting lineup.

4 minutes ago, Chad said:

It's early in the season, but I'm growing closer to embracing the tank for a high lottery pick. The roster as it's constructed will clearly struggle reaching .500 when it's all said and done. Do LMA right and ship him off to a contender, DeRozan's game is a piss poor fit for Pop's system, especially at the 3. He can't defend or space the floor, the Spurs are already overloaded on offense with players that work the paint or shoot mid range jumpers and that's exactly why the offense is struggling to generate points consistently. Forbes is legitimately the only 3 point threat in the starting lineup.

Yup. Keep Murray and build. I trust Buford and staff to draft a top 10 stud. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chad said:

Forbes is also the worst defender on the team.  Patty and he are too redundant frankly.  Same strengths, same weaknesses except Forbes is cheaper, younger, and probably better at this stage.  I'm all for shipping DD off but we also need to make a decision about Patty/Forbes.  It seems easy but considering there will be little market for Patty, maybe you move Brynn while he's cheap and get an asset.  We still need a true 3 and D guy.

The hole the Spurs find themselves in will surely become even deeper this evening visiting Philly. 5-11 inc! Hopefully DeRozan continues to put up some points so it'll be easier to ship him off. If Buford inks DeRozan to an extension I'm going to jump off a cliff, the two sides appear to be far, far apart on the dollars and cents....hopefully it'll remain that way.

1 hour ago, NoRagrets said:

It’s weird to see a Pop team that doesn’t even have a clue on defense.

Including the coaching staff.  Very odd, they also have no idea what they're doing with their rotations.  Pop's stubbornness may end up getting this rebuild going sooner than later.  Tim can only do so much from the bench.

We don't know who to surround our "best players" with to help them.  We seem to have 2 terrible perimeter defenders on the floor at all times although Marco's minutes have gone down some lately.  LMA is still a capable defender and DD's defensive numbers are poor but within his career norms.  It's Patty, Brynn and Marco who are killing this team on the defensive end.

Some stats by quarter, which shows in the 1st and 3rd when the starters begin the quarter and generally log bigger minutes, the Spurs are god awful on defense.  In the 4th, looks like we're playing the wrong guys.  Again DD is a poor defender, we knew this when we traded for him so he needs help next to him.  As long as he's here, we may need to move him back to the 2 and play him with Carroll or, gasp, with Derrick and DJM, on the perimeter if you're going to make him play the 3. 

Again, Brynn and Patty are top 5 in minutes played along with LMA, DD, and Rudy.  This an awful top 5 in terms of defense.  I mean terrible.  Brynn and Patty should either be sharing Patty's minutes or you move one of them, you don't double down on small guys who can't defend and get pushed off their spots unless they're Steph Curry.

Offensive efficiency is not the issue here.

Regardless, it's time to turn the page and I'm watching Orlando, Boston, Indiana, and Miami as potential trade partners.  We'll see what happens as a big injury could always change things.  I don't really care if they make a trade in a week or a month, as long as they understand who they are (a shitty team) and have a plan for the future (other than moving around chairs on the Titantic).  Time for RC and Pop to earn that money.  They did poorly with the Kawhi trade (some of it understandable, other parts not), so better not fuck up trading LMA and DD.