San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

I believe I said this earlier, but if LMA and DD are going to play then I don't need to watch.  If Pop does actually decide to play the young guys, I may need to get the league pass again.  I'd love to watch DJM, White, and LW become the next Big 3. 

Are they going to take away the bucket that came after the  backcourt violation that wasn’t called on Westbrook?
This is what makes this whole thing so stupid. There is at least one blown call per side, per game that takes points off the board. Some obvious, some not so obvious. But play the game as it happens, don't rewind the clock and make the players come back and do it over again.
  • Like 1

And apparently they could have challenged but didn’t in their allotted time of 30 seconds. According to the ref, the 30 seconds passed (seemingly from them bitching, which of course they did because that’s the most Rockets thing ever). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They won't replay the game.  Just a lot of bellyaching.  Rockets should have challenged if it meant that much to them.  It was obviously a bad call, but it's a game in December, no one cares that much.

I was going to say. I keep hearing they were wanting the NBA to just award them the win. Lol how the fuck does that make any sense. Even replaying the last few minutes. How the fuck would something like that play out? It was a bad call. Isn’t the first time, and won’t be the last time the NBA made a terrible call. 

My memory is fuzzy, but back in the day the Spurs and Lakers replayed the last few seconds of a game that was decided on a screwed up FT lane violation. 

Ah... here it is from 1982. Moral of the story: fuck the Lakers. And the Rockets too for that matter.

Larry O'Brien, the commissioner of the National Basketball Association, today upheld a protest by San Antonio and ordered the last three seconds of the Spurs' Nov. 30 game against Los Angeles to be replayed. It was only the second time in O'Brien's seven years as commissioner that he has upheld a protest.

The game will resume with the Spurs leading, 116-114, and Norm Nixon of Los Angeles on the foul line shooting one shot. The replay will be held before the regularly scheduled game between the teams in San Antonio on April 13.

''Upholding a protest is an extreme measure,'' said O'Brien. In 1978, he upheld the Nets' protest of a loss to Philadelphia. The Nets lost the replay.

The Spurs lodged the protest following their 137-132 loss in double overtime, contending that a jump-ball call involving Nixon's second free-throw attempt at the end of regulation was improper. The Lakers won the jump ball and Nixon hit a game-tying shot that sent the game into overtime.

Faking a Free Throw

The point of dispute came when Nixon made a motion as if to shoot a free throw. But he did not release the ball and players from both teams moved into the free-throw lane. Jack Madden, the referee, called a double-lane violation and ruled a jump ball. The Lakers won the jump, and Nixon's subsequent basket sent the game into overtime.

The Spurs argued that since Nixon never released the ball, no double-lane violation should have been called and, instead, the players should have been repositioned for a free-throw attempt. Los Angeles contended the jump-ball call was a proper ruling.

''By calling for a jump ball, the referee failed to properly administer the rules,'' said O'Brien.

A Claim With 'Merits'

Before issuing his decision, O'Brien viewed videotapes of the game and read briefs that both clubs submitted. In addition, he directed members of the league's office to interview the game officials.

''However, in this case, it is clear to me that a misapplication of a rule by the referees adversely affected San Antonio's opportunity to win the game,'' said O'Brien. ''The protesting club has established conclusively the merits of its claim, and it is my responsibility as commissioner to attempt, as nearly as possible, to correct the error that was made on Nov. 30.''

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

My memory is fuzzy, but back in the day the Spurs and Lakers replayed the last few seconds of a game that was decided on a screwed up FT lane violation. 

Ah... here it is from 1982. Moral of the story: fuck the Lakers. And the Rockets too for that matter.

the norm nixon fake free throw. beat the lakers twice in one night.

On 12/4/2019 at 6:43 AM, Kermit said:

Are they going to take away the bucket that came after the  backcourt violation that wasn’t called on Westbrook?

Holy shit. I didn't know about that. I'm not a Spurs fan, but it would be complete bullshit for them to grant the Rockets some kind of do-over....calls get missed all the time. It's part of sports.

Zero chance los eSpurs win that game if LWIV rides the pine as usual. Felt like Pop played him merely because he wanted to rest the regs amid a double-digit blowout, but then the Rockets started to choke and Lonnie took over.

He's the infusion of youth and athleticism this team has needed for several years. Inside game? Check. Outside game? Check. Perimeter D? Another check.

I'm sure Pop has his reasons for Lonnie's lack of minutes, and no doubt he played over his head, but after that performance, Pop has to find at least 25 minutes for him (and more if he continues to have an impact).

Should be easy to do. Just whittle down Patty, Bryn, and Marco's minutes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

I'm grateful that the Rockets have D'Antoni as a coach, they will never win anything running that style

They'll never play for a championship with D'Antoni and the funny thing is the false sense of hope Rocket fans had after the WCF several years ago when Golden State was on cruise control. He is what he is : a good enough coach to win a bunch of regular season games with a talented roster that can occasionally reach the conference finals, that's the ceiling.

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Zero chance los eSpurs win that game if LWIV rides the pine as usual. Felt like Pop played him merely because he wanted to rest the regs amid a double-digit blowout, but then the Rockets started to choke and Lonnie took over.

He's the infusion of youth and athleticism this team has needed for several years. Inside game? Check. Outside game? Check. Perimeter D? Another check.

I'm sure Pop has his reasons for Lonnie's lack of minutes, and no doubt he played over his head, but after that performance, Pop has to find at least 25 minutes for him (and more if he continues to have an impact).

Should be easy to do. Just whittle down Patty, Bryn, and Marco's minutes.

Marco should be riding the pine the remainder of the season, he's worthless. He can't play defense and his 3 point shooting ability has diminished.