San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

I still can’t believe the choke job from Demar last night. 

Just kidding. I can believe it. Goddamnit, I fucking hate that he’s on the team I love most in this world. There’s no goddamn redeemable quality or trait (basketball related) that he possesses. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kermit said:

Sun shines on a dog’s ass.

I still want to share some thoughts but this right here basically encapsulates it^

First off: fuck the random, regular season Mexico City games. I don't know what arena they were playing in but it looked like shit. The coverage was bad. The NBATV announcers were bad. It takes away home games from teams. 

Second: Jesus H. Christ I am tired of watching DeRozan in our colors. I'm sure he's a great guy. I wish him the best. But fuck me does he inspire the opposite of confidence late in games. I'm sitting here questioning why we even throw him the ball late in games and let him "do his thing". Because he makes the most money?

Some other notes:

- Without Booker this is a game we should have won in regulation by 12. Rudy was 2 of 10, Forbes was 0 of 8, D White only had 2 points in 22 minutes, but at the end of the day the Suns sans Booker and Ayton just aren't that good. 

- We let Rubio drop 25 and 13 dimes on us with just 2 turns. I'm worried that our backcourt rotations are just too weird right now to establish good perimeter D. 

- Patty took 23 shots. To be fair he hit 10 of them - but is that really where we are at this point? D White had just 4 attempts.

- Despite his poor shooting Rudy had 10 boards 3 dimes and a couple of blocks and was a +12. He would have been a great 8th option on a few better past Spurs teams. 

- Poeltl in his 16 minutes was a beast - 11 boards (4 offensive) 2 dimes 1 block 5 points on 2 shots 0 turns 0 fouls and a +11. I know matchups dictate lineups but I wish we would play him more. I can't imagine it's a fitness thing. 

12 minutes ago, Kermit said:

The Lowe Post is their NBA Trade Special now that the date has passed for extensions to be dealt. The Spurs are the last team covered. 

Gonna guess this.... And it is depressing.  Some of us begged for the Spurs to start rebuilding (reloading) with the Kawhi trade, but they didn't and what did it get us?  A one and done playoff series and a really ugly immediate future.  Again, being a vet laden mediocre squad is maybe the worst position in the league.  There's no hope, no excitement, no real strategy or plan.  You're competing for the pleasure of getting beat in the first round which ensures you get an out of the lottery asset.  Just no fun.  Oh well, we had it so good for so long, we're all spoiled.

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Lowe and Simmons discussed the Spurs very briefly on Zach's pod yesterday.  Very sad.  The gist was, they're no longer a intelligent front office and the shine is off.  

From the outside looking in, PATFO have lost the fire and guile that made them legends. I'm guessing it would have happened long ago had they not fallen into TD and then struck gold overseas with TP and Manu. In short, they're pretty much suffering the same fate the Cowboys did once the rest of the NFL caught up to Gil Brandt's "computerized" scouting approach.

I hate to think the franchise's epic run will be overshadowed by today's lethargy...but we live in a "what have you done for me lately" world, and of late, these guys haven't done much. Sad. 

22 years of sustained excellence is unprecedented in the NBA. It’s was going to happen sooner or later. They should’ve started this rebuild the second Kawhi turned bitch, but here we are. No amount of coaching acumen is going to make a Demar and Lamarcus led team a contender. The most exciting parts of the game these days are when the young cats all get to run with each other. Maybe Pop will hang it up and we get a coach who doesn’t have weird, veteran player fetishes.