San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

4 minutes ago, XYZ said:

It’s all Kawhi’s fault. Fuck that guy.

Only partially. It's the fault of the emotional response to Kawhi's bitchhood by the Spurs management. They got a shitty deal for a great player because they were more interested in trying to preserve some illusionary power dynamic that does not exist in the modern NBA.

5 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Lowe and Simmons discussed the Spurs very briefly on Zach's pod yesterday.  Very sad.  The gist was, they're no longer a intelligent front office and the shine is off.  

I think the front office has done fine given the circumstances.  There's no stupidly bad deals on the books and they've drafted about as well as you can expect given the draft position.    This is basically the same roster as last year that made the playoffs, but was expected to be better with Murray coming back. 

The sudden shittyness has to be coaching.  Pop is great and all, but he currently has no assistants that have been head coaches at any level.  I think we might have taken for granted how much a guy like Messina or carlisimo contributed to the coaching staff.  

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I think the front office has done fine given the circumstances.  There's no stupidly bad deals on the books and they've drafted about as well as you can expect given the draft position.    This is basically the same roster as last year that made the playoffs, but was expected to be better with Murray coming back. 

The sudden shittyness has to be coaching.  Pop is great and all, but he currently has no assistants that have been head coaches at any level.  I think we might have taken for granted how much a guy like Messina or carlisimo contributed to the coaching staff.  

giphy.gif

We have at least 3 contracts that are unbelievably difficult to move.  And we've had several in the last 3-4 years.  Patty's may not seem terrible now, but they it's been bad for a few years as an example.  And unless your stars are in their prime, it's hard to run back one where most of the key components are in their 30's.  I don't think Pop forgot to coach overnight, I think it's more the pieces don't fit very well and as decline has seeped in to some of our key players, it makes game planning against, too difficult to overcome.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

giphy.gif

We have at least 3 contracts that are unbelievably difficult to move.  And we've had several in the last 3-4 years.  Patty's may not seem terrible now, but they it's been bad for a few years as an example.  And unless your stars are in their prime, it's hard to run back one where most of the key components are in their 30's.  I don't think Pop forgot to coach overnight, I think it's more the pieces don't fit very well and as decline has seeped in to some of our key players, it makes game planning against, too difficult to overcome.

There is no doubt that they have some bad deals on their books and have had a few more (see Gasol, Pau) over the past few years, but they don't have any franchise-altering albatross contracts like John Wall, CP3, Russell Westbrook or CJ McCollum/Dame Lillard. They clear essentially everything but Dejonte Murray and rookie deals off of their cap after next season. Derozan (hopefully) will be off their books after this season. Going forward, they are in great shape to take on some bad deals for draft picks and/or young prospects. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There is no doubt that they have some bad deals on their books and have had a few more (see Gasol, Pau) over the past few years, but they don't have any franchise-altering albatross contracts like John Wall, CP3, Russell Westbrook or CJ McCollum/Dame Lillard. They clear essentially everything but Dejonte Murray and rookie deals off of their cap after next season. Derozan (hopefully) will be off their books after this season. Going forward, they are in great shape to take on some bad deals for draft picks and/or young prospects. 

Taking on 3 years of DeRozan is frankly a terrible deal.  Patty and Pau's deals are poor to awful signings.  Marco's was bad, not only because they were paying a bench role guy in his age 32nd year, but because of the makeup of the team as we were (and still are) already guard heavy.  This was one of those "culture" signings and although I like Marco, it didn't make sense at the time and now is a bad deal on the end of the bench.  It also hard capped us last year. 

I don't think anyone is calling PATFO the Wizards or the Knicks front offices, not at all.  But a lot of the hay they made regarding roster moves is attributable to having David Robinson or moreso, a top 10 all time player in Tim Duncan to anchor and be the foundation of the organization.  It's much tougher to pay a little more for culture signings when you don't have former #1 overall picks making you a playoff team every year, regardless.... that's all.  I don't want it portrayed PATFO hasn't done or don't do some very good things, but without that core superstar, the mistakes you make as a front office are amplified, which is really what Simmons and Lowe are saying.  

He's fucking with you.  There's no credible rumor we're looking to acquire Chris Paul.  It was one of those, "wouldn't this be fun" trade articles from B/R.  No reporting, no rumor.  Just wish fulfillment to garner clicks.

This is how the article starts:

League executives "don't see a robust market" for Chris Paul, even after his solid start, according to the Los Angeles Times' Dan Woike. This tracks with ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski suggesting over the summer that Oklahoma City might need to "incentivize" suitors to absorb the two years and $85.6 million left on his contract after this season.

That makes this proposed deal a borderline no-brainer for the Thunder. They would skate under the luxury tax this season by saving nearly $5 million in salary and wouldn't be taking on any long-term pacts as part of the process.

39 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Can’t wait for more of Marco and Rudy in the second half. Their defense is a sight to behold. I especially love it when Marco points at the player he’s supposed to be covering as they put the ball in the basket. That’s my favorite Marco play. 

A new Marco defensive move was born tonight. I believe it’s called the “fall down”. It’s where Marco inexplicably falls down and allows an open shot.

Edited by Kermit

Final play encapsulates what idiots the players on this team truly are. Defensive rebound. Bryn dribbles up the floor with precious seconds counting down. He...stands there. And waits. Dazzling basketball intellect, Bryn. Thanks for nothing.

Edited by Kermit