San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

12 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

I went to a spurs game tonight for the first time since 2016. Yeah we beat the Bucks, so what. The god damn silver dancers were nowhere to be found. Instead they have a bunch of middle school kids dancing around like morons.

What the fuck is this? Is this what happens when you suck? You replace slutty women dancing with middle schoolers? Fuck it, I’m out

IIRC they were usually San Antonio 9s. Which is like Austin 6s. Not sure what you're all riled up about, seen hotter on campus.

Does this new style of 3-ball continue for LMA/DDR or is this just a hot streak that will be over in a week? And Patty is having a hell of a season. His performances for Australia in the off-season really had me wondering how we could run a guy like that out of SA. He still has a valuable part on the bench, as long as he's surrounded by the right guys (i.e. not Forbes).

Simmons has Nash on his Book of Basketball podcast to talk about the 2007 WCF and I gotta tell you fellas, I never knew tears could be such great lubricant. Knowing that the Spurs kept that Canadian fuck and that shit team from hoisting a Larry O’Brien brings me much joy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not putting too much stock into these last two games because they aren't going to keep shooting it that well -- 55% overall FG against Boston and 19/35  from 3 against Milwaukee -- but Aldridge being a credible three point threat really opens up the floor. And it does so especially for Derozan. He's getting a lot of room to operate in the paint without having to contend with help from another big. As big of a choke artist as he is, the guy is really good off the dribble, he's strong enough to bully guys in the paint and finish, he's always been really athletic, and he's a better playmaker than advertised setting up his teammates for good looks.

Since Aldridge started jacking a higher volume of 3s on 12/23 vs Memphis, Derozan is scoring 26.4 ppg at a 64% clip, while kicking out 5.6 apg. These are his numbers from the first part of the season and then during this stretch:

First Last G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS GmSc +/-
2019-10-23 2019-12-21 28 28 33.8 7.9 15.9 .499 0.2 0.7 .263 4.6 5.8 .807 0.6 4.9 5.4 4.7 0.9 0.4 2.6 3.0 20.7 14.8 -6.5
First Last G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS GmSc +/-
2019-12-23 2020-01-08 8 8 33.9 10.5 16.4 .641 0.3 0.6 .400 5.1 5.9 .872 0.5 3.8 4.3 5.6 1.1 0.0 2.3 2.0 26.4 22.3 8.3

The difference in his offense and efficiency is rather staggering. I don't put too much stock into +/- but is a 15 point swing going from getting outscored by your opponent by 6.5 to outscoring them by 8.3 good? 

Also, Lonnie fucking Walker. Forget how good he is at creating his own shot or getting out on the break, just having a competent perimeter defender out there in place of Belineli or Forbes is a gigantic difference maker. 

Both teams have set defense back decades tonight. DECADES! But seriously, they suck on defense. They are the deep throat queens of defense. Just awful.

props to the Memphis sound guys for playing the Pixies.

Edited by Kermit

The Spurs make zero sense this season. They walloped Boston and Milwaukee in consecutive games, got their asses kicked thoroughly by Memphis then turn around and beat the Raptors. I'll admit, as the trade deadline draws closer with less than a month ago I seriously hope the Spurs aren't planning on keeping this roster intact. I trade DeRozan the way he's playing right now it won't be difficult to unload him as a rental to someone with playoff aspirations. Forbes needs to go too, he's complete and total ass.

16 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I dropped by to say fuck Kawhi Leonard, but just remembered that mute fucking retard doesn’t play for Toronto anymore.

There is never a bad time to say "fuck kawhi leonard".  You can say it daily.  I still hope he blows out both ACLs and Achilles at the same time.  That is my daily prayer.

• Like 2

Just an observation here, and our tough ass schedule has probably already been discussed in the thread, but I saw a tweet from the Jazz about how nobody is talking about their winning streak, which is now up to 10. Their opponents? Nets, Wiz, Hornets, NY, NO, Magic, Bulls, Pistons, Clippers, Blazers. Tonight they play NO again. If you go back another 6, there's only 1 team with a winning record in that group too. 2 of their last 16 opponents had winning records.

Maybe this happens every year with this many teams, but how they get a run like that, 16 games w/ 14 losing teams, and we get 16 games with only 6 losing teams, but 2 coming against the Grizzlies, who are hot af right now but still under .500.

Anyways. GSG. Tough one tonight.