San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

Lol!  We want to move guys who are worthless we missed on and are holding out overpricing Rudy, who isn’t worth much.  Also, supposedly we’re “obsessed” with making the 8th seed and therefore won’t trade DD and LMA.... smh.  Front office is focused on the absolute wrong things.  Jakob’s ladder may be moved too.  We’re going to net almost nothing from the Kawhi trade.... what a fucking mess.

DDR doing DDR things. Empty calories and disappears when it counts. Patty hit 2 big 3s in the 4th (missed one for the win, but fuck how much should we have to rely on our 6'2" 6th man point guard to win the game for us?), LaMarcus hit some big shots in the middle of the 4th..... DDR? Elbowed Paul George in the face and had like 7 points in the 2nd half. That's supposed to be our all-star.

The shitty part of the game was watching Kawhi sleepwalk and still look like the best player in the NBA. There were a few possessions where he came alive on defense and you’re reminded of just how otherworldly he can be. I fucking hate that asshole, but he’s the Anti-Demar.

7 hours ago, Hate said:

I just skimmed the Zach Lowe trade rumors story on ESPN and it’s just depressing. No mention of the Spurs at all. No DD rumors. No LMA rumors. Just silence. Depressing.

We're not expected to move them..... we want that 8 seed.  Rumors are that are prices are too high to move Rudy or Jakob.  But we were cool with giving Kawhi away.

But in conversations with league executives, the belief is the Spurs are aiming to make the eighth seed, which would give the team 23 consecutive postseason appearances and set a new NBA record. The only other teams with that many consecutive appearances are the Syracuse Nationals and Philadelphia 76ers. The Portland Trail Blazers are next on the list with 21-straight seasons making the playoffs, and the Utah Jazz, with 20, are third.

“They are 100% obsessed with getting that eighth seed,” the executive said.

If the Spurs are serious about the playoffs, trading big man LaMarcus Aldridge or wing DeMar DeRozan does not appear to be the goal,

Well, they’re not getting the eighth seed. Or the ninth. Probably not the tenth. The fact that this incarnation of the Spurs is Pop’s last gasp of relevancy before he coaches team USA to a gold medal is depressing. Dude should’ve left when Tim retired. I don’t want this season to be the last image of his legacy. 

I tried to watch a few minutes earlier, but it’s really hard to watch the Spurs with DD and Forbes out there. Hell, it’s hard to watch the with Gay and LMA out there. I sure hope Pop retired after this year and we go full tank mode making everyone available for a whatever we can get. This sucks. At least when David broke his foot in 96, there was some hope we would get a high draft pick to team with him. There is no hope for this team at all.

5 hours ago, Hate said:

I tried to watch a few minutes earlier, but it’s really hard to watch the Spurs with DD and Forbes out there. Hell, it’s hard to watch the with Gay and LMA out there. I sure hope Pop retired after this year and we go full tank mode making everyone available for a whatever we can get. This sucks. At least when David broke his foot in 96, there was some hope we would get a high draft pick to team with him. There is no hope for this team at all.

I threw in the towel after the Atlanta loss. I'll be extremely disappointed if they don't move players around before the trade deadline. You're correct, there is no hope for the roster as it's currently constructed and it'll take a miracle to finish .500. Forbes is a liability, he's borderline worthless even when he's hitting 3s. Losing out on Morris for Lyles hurts, there is no successful Spurs big man reclamation project to write about there, complete dud.

12 hours ago, Llogg said:

This team would have been dramatically better with Morris, no doubt.

Welp..... he's probably going to be traded before tomorrow's deadline, so maybe we can trade for him!  J/K.

10 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I guess the big disappointment for me is that it's basically the same team as last season, and was supposed to be better with Murray coming back and the young guys getting better.  The blame is fully on the coaching staff in my opinion. 

Guys get older.  LMA and DD are a little bit worse.  Rudy is a lot worse.  Marco is unplayable and Murray has been up and down.  And frankly, the roster doesn't fit very well and it's hard for our young guys to develop with sporadic minutes and roles.  I agree, this is partly on the coaching staff, but this is mostly on the front office.

There are rumors that teams are inquiring about DMC and Jakob. I'm still baffled how a veteran such as DMC who plays defense and is a decent scorer hasn't managed to earn any kind of minutes being the only true Wing on the roster. He's the kind of player Pop typically loves. I firmly believe Rudy said fuck it and checked out, he was actually playing well early in the season and was arguably the team's best bench player. If Rudy had any trade value what so ever he's tanked it the last month. What I do know is that Forbes, Marco and Lyles have no business being on the roster next season. They're all terrible.

17 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Welp..... he's probably going to be traded before tomorrow's deadline, so maybe we can trade for him!  J/K.

Guys get older.  LMA and DD are a little bit worse.  Rudy is a lot worse.  Marco is unplayable and Murray has been up and down.  And frankly, the roster doesn't fit very well and it's hard for our young guys to develop with sporadic minutes and roles.  I agree, this is partly on the coaching staff, but this is mostly on the front office.

Granted, Marcus Morris fucked us almost half as hard as Kawhi did. LMA is a bit worse this year than I thought he'd be. The strong games where he goes for 25/12 are really rare now. DeMar doesn't seem to have lost too much to me, he just is who he is.

Completely sucks that they did nothing this trade deadline. 1. I know we're not big on trades, but this team is going nowhere fast, and still has 6 RRT games to slog through. 2. Then again, who the fuck in their right mind would want Marco, or Rudy, or Forbes? The only thing to look forward to this season is Lonnie playing more regularly, and mayyyyyybe we get a glance of one of the other young guys. Luka is tearing it up right now.

3 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Granted, Marcus Morris fucked us almost half as hard as Kawhi did. LMA is a bit worse this year than I thought he'd be. The strong games where he goes for 25/12 are really rare now. DeMar doesn't seem to have lost too much to me, he just is who he is.

Completely sucks that they did nothing this trade deadline. 1. I know we're not big on trades, but this team is going nowhere fast, and still has 6 RRT games to slog through. 2. Then again, who the fuck in their right mind would want Marco, or Rudy, or Forbes? The only thing to look forward to this season is Lonnie playing more regularly, and mayyyyyybe we get a glance of one of the other young guys. Luka is tearing it up right now.

DeMar actually had a worse season last year but has shot the ball well this year.  He's a little worse than his peak years in Toronto and he hasn't gotten the "Spurs efficiency bounce" that most players get when they play in a strong system.  By contrast, LMA has arguably had his best two years of his career as a Spur.  I really don't get what this organization or team is doing.  We're spinning our wheels hoping we can eek out a 8 season for the right to be clobbered by a team from LA.  Rather tear it down, but we did nothing at the deadline.  I could see us working out a buy out for Carroll, who never made sense as a FA signing.  Let him go to a contender to sit on the bench rather than a team going nowhere and we can use that spot on cycling some young talent from Austin.

DeRozan can opt out this summer and become a UFA if he wanted to or he could opt in and play 1 last year with the Spurs.  I'm going to guess he opts out we end up doing a S&T with a team who wants to sign him to a L-T contract.  Meh.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

DeRozan would be stupid not to opt out next season in a hilariously bad Free Agent market. It's going to be his last lucrative deal, he's good as gone. When some of the top free agents are Mike Conley and Gordon Hayward you know it's a lackluster class of Free Agents.

13 hours ago, Chad said:

DeRozan would be stupid not to opt out next season in a hilariously bad Free Agent market. It's going to be his last lucrative deal, he's good as gone. When some of the top free agents are Mike Conley and Gordon Hayward you know it's a lackluster class of Free Agents.

The only thing worse than the free agent market is the number of teams with cap space. After the trade deadline deals, Memphis and Atlanta are out of the market. If I understand it correctly, the only team with cap is Cleveland. And I can't see them loading up on a vet like Derozan. The 2021 class is loaded and there will be more teams with cap space. If teams miss out on their big targets (Giannis, Kawhi, Lebron, Paul George -- the last 3 on that list, I can't imagine moving) that money will be burning a hole in their pocket. I think Derozan ultimately decides to opt in. Or the Spurs sign and trade him. Or most likely, the Spurs look around and realize they have next to zero talent on the roster and give him a terrible Pau Gasol-esque extension.