San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

Spurs are 4 games behind Memphis in the loss column for the 8th seed with 30 games to go and 1 game behind Portland for 9th. And crawling up their ass and currently sitting only one game behind the Spurs are the Pelicans (now with Zion) and the Kings. The Suns are only two games behind the Spurs. For a little more perspective, the Spurs are only 11 games ahead of the full-on completely scrapping the season Warriors, for the worst record in the conference. They are 18 games behind the conference leading Lakers. Yes, markedly closer to last place than first place.

The Spurs look like they are going to take the collar for the RRT. The Kings game was probably their best chance for a win and they promptly shit the bed. Next games are at Denver and at OKC before a week long All-Star break. Then they get to go to Utah and OKC again. Maybe they get one of those? If they are lucky? All of those teams are jockeying for real playoff position.

In short, they are fucked for trying to make the playoffs. It's not happening. Period. Zero chance. Zilch. The sooner they realize this, the better. I assume they are going to take stock of things at the AS break and react accordingly. I'm seriously hoping that they go into full on tank  play the youngsters mode after the RRT. I can't imagine them running Aldridge and Derozan 35 minutes per game when all playoff hope is gone. 

Things are looking pretty bleak for the near future. They have no real exciting young talent to hang their hat on. Maybe Walker, but what is his ceiling? They took fliers on Samanic and Johnson, but they are both projects at best. And the worst part of this is that this year's draft looks like a fucking dud. Before, they at least had the decency to suck in the Robinson and Duncan lottery years. Who are they going to get this time? Lamelo Ball if they get lucky? Yikes. This is going to get worse before it gets better.

tl/dr

No hope in making the playoffs this year and Spurs are going to suck for the foreseeable future barring a miracle.

It's been a lot of fun watching the Spurs with Demar out. That is until Rudy Gay and Marco check in. But up to that point of suck, they play hard around LMA and zip all over the court without the ball being permantly attached to one players hands. Yeah they blew a huge lead, but watching them doesn't make me want to throw myself off a building. Kind of sucks that they didn't trade Demar for spare parts when they had a chance. Oh well. We get to watch him walk for nothing next summer (or worse, they give him a new contract which might just kill my fandom). 

Edit: Also, I know he's not the most popular player around here but I've really enjoyed watching Trey Lyles. He's hustling his ass off on both sides of the floor. Dude's undersized to play center, but he tries. And with Demar off the floor and the offense opened up, he's driving on people and making plays at the rim. Plus, he's a willing passer. I'd love to see a line-up of Lyles, Aldridge, Walker, Murray, and White. 

Edited by Kermit

On 2/12/2020 at 8:40 AM, Kermit said:

Edit: Also, I know he's not the most popular player around here but I've really enjoyed watching Trey Lyles. He's hustling his ass off on both sides of the floor. Dude's undersized to play center, but he tries. And with Demar off the floor and the offense opened up, he's driving on people and making plays at the rim. Plus, he's a willing passer. I'd love to see a line-up of Lyles, Aldridge, Walker, Murray, and White. 

I don't mind him too much. I've seen enough games where he looks completely competent towards his role, in spurts. Hits a spot-up 3. Can handle the ball around PnRs a bit, takes some mid-ranges confidently. I don't think he's above replacement level, and he probably won't be here for long, but on a different Spurs team he could've been a lot more valuable.

DMC is signing with the Rockets. What a fucking face palm. Why did the Spurs even sign him? He is the type of hard nosed player Pop typically loves. I don't understand why he rode the bench the entire season when the Spurs lacked a true 3. DeRozan is not the greatest of wings, Marco is God awful at the 3 and Lonnie is a prototypical 2.

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Cap probably drops next season too with the whole China thing.  The delay in trying to reload is not only impacting this season but future ones as well.

They have much bigger problems than eating this contract or whatever hit the cap takes from China. They still are going to have plenty of future space as long as they don't do anything stupid with DeRozan this off season. 

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They have much bigger problems than eating this contract or whatever hit the cap takes from China. They still are going to have plenty of future space as long as they don't do anything stupid with DeRozan this off season. 

Oh, they’re going to do something stupid alright. The excuses have already started. 

1. “This is a historically weak free agent crop.”

2. “He’s a great teammate and has gotten over himself.”

Feel free to insert your own.

18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

DeRozan could look around and opt in.  There is speculation he may do so with cap space scarce and cap number staying flat or dropping.  I’m going to guess he wants one last big free agency chase as a barely 30ish guy and will risk it but there is a possibility he decides to get that last 30 millionish year.

I have to think if there was any kind of market for him outside of SA, he would have been traded.  I fully expect him to be back next year and I fully expect that I won't watch any games.  I'm boycotting them until neither LMA or DD play for them thus signaling the rebuild is finally here.  I'll watch a bunch of young kids try to get better, but I won't watch this crap. 

54 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

DeRozan could look around and opt in.  There is speculation he may do so with cap space scarce and cap number staying flat or dropping.  I’m going to guess he wants one last big free agency chase as a barely 30ish guy and will risk it but there is a possibility he decides to get that last 30 millionish year.

Yep. Him opting in for one more season and then hitting the open market in 2021 is probably the best case scenario, sadly. They would get both he and Aldridge off the books at the same time and have some cap to take on some contracts for picks for teams trying to get under the tax. I'm more afraid they are going to Gasol him up and extend him for more years at less money. That would be such a set back for the rebuild. 

19 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Bravo, guys.

I've seen numbers thrown around, but did the spurs straight up buy him out, or did he give some money back(besides the partial guarantee)  to become a  free agent?   

I'd like to know what it means to not jell with pop.  Sure you can not like the guy, or whatever, but normally pop doesn't give a shit if you like him as long as you are doing your job.  It also seems like "jelling" with a coach or not would be figured out in a meeting before extending a contract offer.  

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I've seen numbers thrown around, but did the spurs straight up buy him out, or did he give some money back(besides the partial guarantee)  to become a  free agent?   

I'd like to know what it means to not jell with pop.  Sure you can not like the guy, or whatever, but normally pop doesn't give a shit if you like him as long as you are doing your job.  It also seems like "jelling" with a coach or not would be figured out in a meeting before extending a contract offer.  

It’s not going to be much.... this was a bad signing and has Pops fingerprints all over it.  Carroll was already a regressing player but the issue is if he was playing then we weren’t going to be giving minutes or reps to our young wings.... wonder if one of the rookies gets called up now.  

I'd love to kindly ask Pop to step down, but honestly, he's the only thing going for us right now that might entice a FA worth a shit.  Without Pop, this franchise is no different than Indiana or Sacramento to players not already here.  I know this FA class sucks, but once Pop is gone, full rebuild mode is engaged and our hopes are squarely on catching lightning bottle again with drafting our way out of this hell hole. 

I guess they could still stretch his salary but they are going to have cap after next season regardless, unless they do something stupid with DeRozan or Aldridge. Which they almost surely will. 

The whole thing was a debacle - signing Carroll which prevented them from offering more money to Morris, which led to them trading Bertans for nothing and offering Carroll an extra year (albeit partially guaranteed) to clear space, then Morris and the Knicks screwing them over. Their benching Carroll and now his buyout along with the Knicks getting a first rounder from the Clippers for Morris is the cherry on top of it all. But hell, they got Trey Lyles out of the deal so I guess it's all good. 

So to recap, they got the honor of paying Demarre Carroll $14 million over the next three years to play for someone else (currently a division rival) and keeping him on their cap, plus giving up one of the best five or so three point shooters in the league and essentially a first round pick for Trey Lyles. I mean, it doesn't get much worse than that. 

This has got to Pop's last year.  I can't see him coming back for this after the Olympics this summer.  It's been an unbelievable privilege to watch this unprecedented run, but it is time for it to end and look to a new start.  We are all about ti find out what it feels like to be a Sacramento or Hornets fan. 

31 minutes ago, Hate said:

This has got to Pop's last year.  I can't see him coming back for this after the Olympics this summer.  It's been an unbelievable privilege to watch this unprecedented run, but it is time for it to end and look to a new start.  We are all about ti find out what it feels like to be a Sacramento or Hornets fan. 

I lived through Bob Weiss and the first year of Larry Brown. I already know what it's like to be a Sacramento or Hornets fan.