San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

I lived through Bob Weiss and the first year of Larry Brown. I already know what it's like to be a Sacramento or Hornets fan. 

And so did I, but I have forgotten what it was like. I played basketball with Bob Weiss a few times at the Concord Athletic Club back in the mid to late 80’s. He told me passing the ball to me was like an automatic assist. I also used to play there with Mike Mitchell, Johnny Moore, Alvin Robertson, and RC Buford before he went to Kansas with Larry Brown. He was a dick. /csb

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

RC Buford. He was arrogant as fuck.

Was he drunk? He seems like the kind of guy who would drink and drive, and then end up in someone’s front yard but then get to keep his job and have everyone not talk about it ever. Not that something like that has ever happened to any one of us assholes.

This fucking team.... good enough to beat anybody in the league on any given night. Shitty enough to lose to anybody in the league on any given night. 

They are going to go on a run somewhere towards the end of the season, still not make the playoffs and play themselves into a worse draft pick / lottery odds.

8th seed baby!

edit: It has been amazing to watch Dejounte over these last games. Pop is finally playing him and Derrick at the end of games and they’re doing a hell of a job defensively. Those two cover up a lot of Demar’s screw-ups. Trey’s been playing his ass off too. 

Edited by Kermit

The draft class is weak this year, but I'd prefer that #12 pick opposed to making the playoffs as #8 seed and being swept or slaughtered 4-1. The thing that surprises me the most is how far ahead of the Spurs teams who were in the midst of full rebuilds such as OKC and Memphis are. Hell, Kyle Anderson is one of the most Senior players on the Memphis roster, that team is littered with players who have been in the NBA 3 years or less. We're gonna see what this new GM is made of with the Spurs, my biggest hope is that DeRozan is not inked to a new deal and is unloaded if he opts into his final year.

11 hours ago, Chad said:

The thing that surprises me the most is how far ahead of the Spurs teams who were in the midst of full rebuilds such as OKC and Memphis are. Hell, Kyle Anderson is one of the most Senior players on the Memphis roster, that team is littered with players who have been in the NBA 3 years or less. 

It's truly depressing. Look at the Western Conference and find me one team that you would not swap rosters with? Maybe Minnesota? Towns and Russell are still better than anything the Spurs have as building blocks. I hate Portland's cap and future contracts, but Lillard alone puts them light years ahead of the Spurs. Everybody else either has established stars or promising young talent.

As painful as it is to admit, every single team in this conference is better positioned to compete for a championship either now or in the future than the Spurs are. This franchise has a major dearth of talent that barring a miracle in the draft, isn't going away anytime soon. Prepare yourself for multiple 20ish win seasons... they are coming.

Looking back, other than the time between when Ice got traded to the Bulls and when David Robinson finished his service requirement (1985-1989) and the post Kawhi years (2018-present), this team has always had a franchise player. And during that first walk through the desert, they at least had the promise of David coming in to save the franchise for two years. There was at least hope. Now? The Spurs have no cornerstone. They have no franchise player. Until they get one, they are going to be horrible to watch. Winter is coming. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's truly depressing. Look at the Western Conference and find me one team that you would not swap rosters with? Maybe Minnesota? Towns and Russell are still better than anything the Spurs have as building blocks. I hate Portland's cap and future contracts, but Lillard alone puts them light years ahead of the Spurs. Everybody else either has established stars or promising young talent.

As painful as it is to admit, every single team in this conference is better positioned to compete for a championship either now or in the future than the Spurs are. This franchise has a major dearth of talent that barring a miracle in the draft, isn't going away anytime soon. Prepare yourself for multiple 20ish win seasons... they are coming.

Looking back, other than the time between when Ice got traded to the Bulls and when David Robinson finished his service requirement (1985-1989) and the post Kawhi years (2018-present), this team has always had a franchise player. And during that first walk through the desert, they at least had the promise of David coming in to save the franchise for two years. There was at least hope. Now? The Spurs have no cornerstone. They have no franchise player. Until they get one, they are going to be horrible to watch. Winter is coming. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

It’s the bill many of us assumed was due, for all the years of success. Kawhi was our miracle. Was. I just wish that the rebuild had started as soon as he went bitch-mode. There would be light at the end of that tunnel, but it’s darker than a black steer’s tookus on a moonless prairie night.

2 minutes ago, Kermit said:

How the fuck are you not going to get that call in your arena? I get that Luka gets every goddamn foul call under the sun, but how many cholas do we have to send to those referees hotel rooms before we get a fucking call?

giphy.gif

What's truly depressing is when you look around the division the majority of the teams have two young cornerstone players to build around. The Mavs have Kristaps and Luka, the Pelicans have Zion and Ingram, Memphis has Morant along with Jaren Jackson Jr. White and Murray are good young players, but neither of those guys are going to be someone you build a franchise around more so complementary players than anything. It's hard to tell what the Spurs have with Lonnie, he plays less than Marco and just typing that gives me the urge to throw up in my mouth a little.