San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

On 3/2/2020 at 7:30 PM, Chad said:

I knew the success would come to an end some day, but how Pop is handling things this season has made it a tough pill to swallow.

I'm hoping that he's been handling this season as a precursor to a season or two down the road. Because if he's been doing everything he can to win games that's kind of concerning. 

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

Spurs lose again.

The Cavs are a tough team trending up. In all seriousness the Spurs have no fight left in them. Rudy has come around a bit recently, but his contract is going to turn out to be yet another back breaker to the Spurs. Rudy either declined and fell off a cliff or said fuck it and stopped trying early in the season when things were looking down. Keldon is showing some promise, he needs to see more minutes there is nothing left to lose at this point.

So I was having this discussion over lunch today and the notion of Pop going to Brooklyn came up. Apparently, that jackass Stephen A. Smith was talking about it today and I heard some other rumblings about it on NBA radio the other day.

I immediately dismissed the possibility out of hand, but the thing that gives me pause is the Spurs ownership becoming increasingly frustrated with Pop's political commentary. I know they have received blowback from some season ticket holders who have used that as an excuse/reason to not renew. I've been told that they asked him to tone it down and he flatly refuses.

I mean, the whole thing kind of makes sense. The Spurs aren't winning shit now or in the next few years. Pop may want to take another shot at a ring with Durant and Kyrie, and Sean Marks is one of his guys. Pop may want to hand over the reins to Becky Hammond or Tim Duncan. The more we talked about it, the more I got talked into it. I always had it in the back of my mind that he was going to retire after the Olympics, but who knows if there is even going to be an Olympics now.

Pop can head on to Brooklyn now and I'll be more than fine with it. He's made his mark in SA and is an obvious HOF coach. It isn't some cataclysmic event like TD baling out for Orlando would have been.

I'm very much of the view that it isn't for a coach to be a political commentator. Yeah, free speech, I get it. But if you're entering the twilight of your career, causing hard feelings with some fans and ownership (for reasons unrelated to the NBA) and are nowhere close to winning another title with the Spurs, now's as good a time as any to move along. Still, I'll be somewhat surprised if it actually happens. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-de-mar-de-rozan-intends-to-decline-277-m-option-if-he-cant-agree-to-extension-with-spurs-004545646.html

If swingman DeMar DeRozan and the San Antonio Spurs can’t agree to an extension by the late June deadline, the four-time All-Star intends to decline his $27.7 million player option for next season to become an unrestricted free agent, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

This is the best news I've heard pertaining to the Spurs in an eternity.

That's outstanding news.  Of course, RC and Pop are probably putting the finishing touches on a max contract extension for him even as we speak.  You know, DD has acquired quite a bit of corporate knowledge and has gotten over himself since he has been in SA and that is too important to let go.

8 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

So I was having this discussion over lunch today and the notion of Pop going to Brooklyn came up. Apparently, that jackass Stephen A. Smith was talking about it today and I heard some other rumblings about it on NBA radio the other day.

I immediately dismissed the possibility out of hand, but the thing that gives me pause is the Spurs ownership becoming increasingly frustrated with Pop's political commentary. I know they have received blowback from some season ticket holders who have used that as an excuse/reason to not renew. I've been told that they asked him to tone it down and he flatly refuses.

I mean, the whole thing kind of makes sense. The Spurs aren't winning shit now or in the next few years. Pop may want to take another shot at a ring with Durant and Kyrie, and Sean Marks is one of his guys. Pop may want to hand over the reins to Becky Hammond or Tim Duncan. The more we talked about it, the more I got talked into it. I always had it in the back of my mind that he was going to retire after the Olympics, but who knows if there is even going to be an Olympics now.

Good for him, he shouldn't tone it down.... he should probably retire because he doesn't have a rebuild in him and that's what the franchise desperately needs.  But he shouldn't leave because a few olds get upset at what a basketball coach has to say (no cloak room).

I don't care about his comments, but it's probably because he's aligned with my thoughts. He's smart as shit and gets asked questions because he replies thoughtfully and interestingly. I guess we'll only see whether his outspokenness costs the brand money when the losing stops. I'm sure if he had another big 3 to carry to the playoffs those lost season tickets would be gobbled up in a heartbeat (if in fact they weren't). In fact, I'd be willing to call their bluff on whether they would've cancelled their tickets in the first place if we still had a Big 3 or Kawhi. In other words, if we had expectations.

I enjoyed watching DW and Keldon last night. Both played spirited, and are fun to watch to Defense. They hustle around screens and always keep them legs moving. It's embarrassing that they have to play on the same defense as Bryn Forbes (and others).

I wonder if they'll resume the season in April when the hysteria dies down? I just find it ironic that Rudy Gobert was the first NBA player to contract the virus, I hope he stockpiled up on shit paper.

Edited by Chad

On 3/12/2020 at 1:28 AM, Chad said:

I wonder if they'll resume the season in April when the hysteria dies down? I just find it ironic that Rudy Gobert was the first NBA player to contract the virus, I hope he stockpiled up on shit paper.

Why is it ironic?

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that struck me was actually seeing a game from that era in HD.  It was certainly not that vivid on its original broadcast.  The other thing I realized for the millionth time is how much I loved watching those beautiful game teams in 2012-2014.  That was Spurs basketball at its finest.

Yeah, I think that 2014 season was probably my favorite of that entire run. That season was just so much fun. There were some many “holy shit” moments. That second unit led by Manu was phenomenal. Our thread on Shaggy was a blast all season too.