San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

4 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

Anyone need a good reason to puke?  Games 6 and 7 of the 2013 NBA Finals are on ESPN tonight.  🤮 😢 

Will avoid ESPN tonight. Worst sports moment of my life. I took Game 6 harder than the Horns’ 2008 loss to Tech and 2010 loss to Bama in football. Of course, it made the 2014 run even more satisfying.

Yeah, that game culminated several years of repeated kicks in the junk. The 2008 loss to tech, 2009 loss to Bama, Rangers 2010 loss in The World Series, followed by the greatest choke job in baseball history by the Rangers the next year in Game 6, and then finally the 2013 Finals loss including the epic Game 6 shot to the balls. Thank god 2014 happened or I would be really bitter.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:25 AM, Amos Moses said:

Anyone need a good reason to puke?  Games 6 and 7 of the 2013 NBA Finals are on ESPN tonight.  🤮 😢 

Take away 2014 and this is right up there with Colt getting hurt and fucking Wichita State. Oh yeah. 2019 Astros FML!!!

5 hours ago, Kermit said:

Would you guys trade for Gobert? If so, what would you give up?

Probably not.  He's going into the last year of his contract and he's going to want a max deal.  He's a good player especially defensively where he's elite but limited on offensively and he's sort of a throwback, where the NBA seems to be going to a bunch of guys who are 6'4" to 6'9" to switch everything.  Spurs like to zig when everyone is zagging and he's Euro so they're probably already interested.  A lot would depend on money and how much he wants -- he qualifies for the Supermax with Utah.  I mean, if you just want to get younger, you could easily just flip LMA or DD for him but Utah probably would want more because of the age discrepancy.  One of them and Jakob's ladder on a nice extension may work.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone watch Game 1 of the 2014 Championship Series on Fox Sports SW tonight? I got pretty caught up in the game and forgot it was a replay. Yelling at the TV and mocking Lebron James as he cramped up, good times.

Go Spurs Go!

• Like 1

PSA...Apprently it's Timmy day on NBA TV.  They just re-aired Game 1 of the 2014 Finals.  Game 5 is next.  There are also games from the WCF in 2006 (it's Game 5 I think when Timmy goes off), Game 5 from the 99 Finals, and Game 6 of the 2003 Finals  all scheduled for later today.

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1

RAPTOR_best_perimeter_defender.jpg
This is a big reason for the Spur's defensive woes the last two seasons. You don't replace Danny/Manu with schmucks like Forbes/Marco and expect to replicate that kind of defensive production at the 2.

I probably saw at least 30 of Alvin Robertson’s 85 season. It was unbelievable to see him pick as many pockets as he did. We had seats right in from if his then wife Jackie. She was as cool as anybody could be. It’s a shame that Alvin turned out to be the turd he’s turned out to be.

I’m watching this game tonight and two things really stand out: how much I hate Kawhi and how much I love Timmy. I miss that guy. I miss needing points and just dumping the ball into Timmy and just knowing he would come through. He’s my favorite athlete of all time and there are only a few people that are even close. Timmy is all by himself but these guys are in the house:

Nolan Ryan
David Robinson
Manu Ginobili
Vince Young
Roger Staubach
Mike Madano
Tony Parker

That may be about it. I’m sure I missed some but that’s a pretty solid list. I could easily add Tony Parker. In fact, I will.

15 hours ago, Hate said:

I’m watching this game tonight and two things really stand out: how much I hate Kawhi and how much I love Timmy. I miss that guy. I miss needing points and just dumping the ball into Timmy and just knowing he would come through. He’s my favorite athlete of all time and there are only a few people that are even close. Timmy is all by himself but these guys are in the house:

Nolan Ryan
David Robinson
Manu Ginobili
Vince Young
Roger Staubach
Mike Madano
Tony Parker

That may be about it. I’m sure I missed some but that’s a pretty solid list. I could easily add Tony Parker. In fact, I will.

You missed Earl obviously. And for me, I would add Ice and take off Madano. 

Yeah, my list could have been about 20 players in reality. I loved Earl of course, but Vince brought home the trophy. I could have added Aikman, Emmitt, and Michael and not Staubach, but it was Roger that really helped out that star atop the NFL. And Modano is responsible for the Stanley Cup coming to Texas. That was pretty fucking epic, imo. The Iceman?? I loved him and he could finger roll, but I’d put Manu and Tony above him on any list for my favorite basketball players because they won...a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this was covered but FSSW is running "San Antonio Spurs Classics". Not sure if it's weekly or what, but I set it to DVR and I now have a bunch of games. Right now I have a bunch of games from the 2003 Finals, a couple from the 99 Finals, a random Pelicans game from 2014 that I don't remember, and the series clincher against OKC in 2014.

Watching the 99 closer right now with an old fashioned. I'll save 2014 OKC as an emergency cheer me up card - that game was fuckin' awesome. In hindsight, it was probably the best, most important game of the playoffs given the previous struggles getting over the OKC hump and the way they walked over the Heat in the finals.

Good lookin' out FSSW. Hopefully there's more coming. Would love to see 2005 Finals Game 7, and anything from the 2007 and 2014 Finals. The 2003 Dallas series would be fun too, I remember the Kerr/Captain Jack 3 point party but I haven't seen it in 17 years.

Edited by BradInATX

On 4/8/2020 at 4:00 PM, Hate said:

Yeah, that game culminated several years of repeated kicks in the junk. The 2008 loss to tech, 2009 loss to Bama, Rangers 2010 loss in The World Series, followed by the greatest choke job in baseball history by the Rangers the next year in Game 6, and then finally the 2013 Finals loss including the epic Game 6 shot to the balls. Thank god 2014 happened or I would be really bitter.

I’m still bitter. My now wife was my fiancé then and I think she had some serious questions about marrying me after watching my reaction to the game 6 loss in 2013.

31 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I’m still bitter. My now wife was my fiancé then and I think she had some serious questions about marrying me after watching my reaction to the game 6 loss in 2013.

I sat there and stared at the wall for three hours while slowly killing my liver. 

Captain Jack and George Floyd were extremely close.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/stephen-jackson-emotional-over-friend-george-floyds-death-police-custody?fbclid=IwAR1RfmrYEa5WuIsvJ0mpklyWUqu_WfO6LJL36Xu8a3WwV7b8ia0AVtDdFtQ

George Floyd’s death while in police custody Monday caused outrage across Minnesota and the nation, and hit close to home for former Warriors forward Stephen Jackson.

Jackson and Floyd were close friends, and even had a nickname for each other: "Twin."

"This is what I gotta wake up to, huh?" a visibly emotional Jackson said in a video he posted on Instagram on Tuesday. "This is what I gotta wake up to. Floyd was my brother, man. We called each other "Twin," bruh. Everybody know me and Floyd called each other "Twin." My brother was only out there in Minnesota, he was changing his life, he went to Minnesota, he was driving trucks. I just sent him two, three boxes of clothes. My boy was doing what he was supposed to do, man, and y'all go kill my brother, man. I'm on my way to Minnesota, man. Whatever I can do, can't let this ride, dog. Y'all not going to be mad until it hits your front door. Bull---t."

Four Minneapolis police officers were fired Tuesday for their involvement in the death of Floyd, who was 46.

Including the video, Jackson posted 10 times about Floyd on Tuesday.

Jackson and Floyd grew up together in the Houston, Texas area.

As you can see by the emotion on Jackson's face and in his voice, he lost a brother Monday.

Jackson lost his twin.

52 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Sucks for Jack. Extremely impressed that he managed to get through that without disparaging Tony Parker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

I was there. Most incredible basketball game I've ever attended. And I was at Game 7 in 2005.

Buddy and I who were watching (at home) kept marveling at two things: how Elliott raised his heels so as not to step out of bounds, and how he somehow got enough loft on his shot to avoid being blocked. 'Sheed was all over that and rightfully should've stuffed it.

But destiny ... said otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Just cancel the remainder of the season. That's terrible news, the Spurs were already extremely thin in the front court. So.....we'd be looking at Jakob starting at C with some combination of Metu/Eubanks backing him up and Lyles manning PF with Rudy backing him up and Metu or Eubanks taking some occasional minutes there as well.