San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

On 7/25/2020 at 5:30 PM, Kermit said:

I’ll be so happy when Demar and Rudy are no longer on this team. If you’re not going to bother to break a sweat, why the fuck did you go to Orlando?

I literally cringed when I became aware of the Spurs trading Kawhi for Demar. He got bullied in the East Conference by LeBron's Cav's for years and disappeared in the playoffs. I would've rather the Spurs traded Kawhi to the Lakers for the package the Pelicans received with a substitute for Lonzo Ball, perhaps Kuzma? Brandon Ingram developed into a star this season, Josh Hart would be an upgrade over Forbes and three 1st rounders to build for the future or use to move for a key piece. The roster as it's constructed simply can't compete and that was clear as day this season. The Spurs unloaded a generational player and one of the best defensive wings of the decade for a soft playoff choker, a one dimensional defensive player and a draft pick.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chad said:

I literally cringed when I became aware of the Spurs trading Kawhi for Demar. He got bullied in the East Conference by LeBron's Cav's for years and disappeared in the playoffs. I would've rather the Spurs traded Kawhi to the Lakers for the package the Pelicans received with a substitute for Lonzo Ball, perhaps Kuzma? Brandon Ingram developed into a star this season, Josh Hart would be an upgrade over Forbes and three 1st rounders to build for the future or use to move for a key piece. The roster as it's constructed simply can't compete and that was clear as day this season. The Spurs unloaded a generational player and one of the best defensive wings of the decade for a soft playoff choker, a one dimensional defensive player and a draft pick.

I agree with everything except that the Spurs were never going to get the package the Pelicans got. They were lowballing and the Spurs wanted the moon. At least that’s how I remember it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just wish they had sent KL to the Knicks for a bag of balls. The fact that KL gets to claim a title with Toronto will bug me forever. I hate that piece of shit and hope that any day now that the Clippers curse grabs him and his POS uncle.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I agree with everything except that the Spurs were never going to get the package the Pelicans got. They were lowballing and the Spurs wanted the moon. At least that’s how I remember it.

Nope.  Magic was under fire at that time.  They were offering 3 pieces and draft pick.  We just didn't want to deal him to LA.  Again, RC and Pop really fucked up the transaction not getting Siakam or at a minimum, not getting OG.  Poetl as the 2nd piece was terribly shitty.

And we also should have traded Demar by now..... Amazing how management doesn't look so shiny when they don't have Timmah as the foundational piece.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Amazing how management doesn't look so shiny when they don't have Timmah as the foundational piece.

This is really true. Tim covered up so many of their sins. Don't get me wrong, they drafted Tony and Manu from nowhere, and trading up to get Kawhi was a coup. They also managed to pull role player after role player off of the scrap heap -- Bruce Bowen, Danny Green, Boris Diaw, Fabricio Oberto, Gary Neal, Patty Mills, etc.  -- and they deserve a ton of credit for their development program. But as many things as they got right, they also had some terrible missteps. The Jackie Butler/Luis Scola deal likely cost them at least one ring. Richard Jefferson hamstrung their cap for years as did Pau Gasol. And of course, unloading Kawhi was a disaster but you can't blame them completely for that one. 

It's difficult to complain after the run they had, but barring a miracle in the draft, it's going to be a rough few years on the horizon.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Nope.  Magic was under fire at that time.  They were offering 3 pieces and draft pick.  We just didn't want to deal him to LA.  Again, RC and Pop really fucked up the transaction not getting Siakam or at a minimum, not getting OG.  Poetl as the 2nd piece was terribly shitty.

And we also should have traded Demar by now..... Amazing how management doesn't look so shiny when they don't have Timmah as the foundational piece.

That was the largest issue. Pop refused to deal with the Lakers so the Spurs shipped Kawhi to Toronto where he ultimately had the last laugh because he won an NBA title and signed with an LA team which was his preferred destination. The Lakers ended up with Anthony Davis to pair with LeBron and were primed for a #1 seed before the shutdown began setting up a Kawhi vs LeBron showdown in the WCF.

• Hook 'Em 1

That Scola fuck up likely cost them more than one ring. Hell, they won one ring with Fabricio Oberto. Scola could really play. He was a good scorer, good passer, and decent enough defender. Those 2008-2012 teams could really have used him.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep, we blew the trade with fuckface and his fuckfaceass bitchass uncle. I honestly would've rather just let him sit for a damn year and get nothing in return. He tanked his trade value to where everyone but Toronto would deal with us because they saw that he was their only shot at a title. I don't remember the details of what the Knicks offered, or their interest level but I do remember they told Philadelphia they wouldn't re-sign so they took themselves out of consideration pretty early. But we 'tried to do right by kawhi' for some dipshit reason and ended up with the raptors rejects and the 29th draft pick last year. And now after the fact, Derozan has attempted 75 threes and made 15 of them in 2 full seasons.

Pop's insistence on not dealing with the Lakers and telling other teams to do the same worked fine for about 20 years but ended up screwing us.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Are we 100% positive on this? I seem to remember (and I’ve blocked this whole shit outta my memory) that we were lowballed Ingram and a first or some shit. Nephew tanked his worth so much that no one was convinced he would re-sign. Or the other two players were not what New Orleans ended up getting. Shit, we should’ve taken the Clippers offer. Hindsight, but I think the one thing we can all agree on is fuck Kawhi Leonard. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

How's his knee by the way?  Does he still have a degenerative condition that kept him out a whole season?  Or did it miraculously cure itself?  

He only played 60 regular-season games with the Toronto championship team. He was under "load management" the entire year, so I would think that's the new normal for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

Why?  I detest nephew but the ‘ship last year was legit.  The Warriors’ injuries certainly made it easier for nephew, but that’s ”part of the game.”

The Warriors lost their best and third best players. I get injuries are part of the game, but that title will always be tarnished a bit to me because of that...and because fuck kawhi.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2020 at 9:28 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

On 7/27/2020 at 9:49 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is really true. Tim covered up so many of their sins. Don't get me wrong, they drafted Tony and Manu from nowhere, and trading up to get Kawhi was a coup. They also managed to pull role player after role player off of the scrap heap -- Bruce Bowen, Danny Green, Boris Diaw, Fabricio Oberto, Gary Neal, Patty Mills, etc.  -- and they deserve a ton of credit for their development program. But as many things as they got right, they also had some terrible missteps. The Jackie Butler/Luis Scola deal likely cost them at least one ring. Richard Jefferson hamstrung their cap for years as did Pau Gasol. And of course, unloading Kawhi was a disaster but you can't blame them completely for that one. 

It's difficult to complain after the run they had, but barring a miracle in the draft, it's going to be a rough few years on the horizon.

Fuck's sake. We've been bad for two thirds of one season since i graduated high school.

Man it was good to see the spurs out on the court again. That said, they should have been playing the young guys the entire season. This game was just a cruel reminder of what this season should have been.

And don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily care if they win or lose, although it was nice to see them finish out the game against the kings. They just need to get the young guys some burn so they can develop or bust. It took a global pandemic, a four month layoff and an injury to Bryn Forbes for them to figure out that they needed to play Murray, White and Walker together. We've been clamoring for this all season. Too bad we're only going to get a few games of it. It's like the calendar turned to summer and they went into autopilot summer league mode. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Dejounte still struggles to handle the ball in traffic..

Dejounte has been struggling on defense too. If he would just focus on staying with his man, he’d be great. He has this weird tick where he overcommits on angles and allows his man to blow past him. That and everything has to be a steal. Dude needs to watch Keldon and imitate.

8 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

Ha - didn’t even miss Forbes or wonder why he didn’t play.  Find a stretch big man who can defend from the shallow wings to the paint for next year and they’re cooking with grease.

I also noticed Patty didn't play. At least we gave ourselves a chance on defense even with Fox torching our ass