San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

5 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

And then DeMar hits the FT to put us up lol

Yes. Somewhat reedeemed himself. 

Not a great shooting game for us but the defense was very good for the most part. I like our current rotations, although Patty does not need to be bringing the ball up the floor. It's basically jack a terrible 3 or make a shitty pass for him. 

59 minutes ago, Chad said:

Spurs are fucking themselves out of decent draft position. At least Patty was back to replace Marco shooting off-balance threes to make things interesting.

It would just be too typical for this team to actually work their way out of the lottery only to get blasted by the Lakers in 4.

I don't know how they are supposed to matchup with Embiid, Horford and Simmons tonight. Sixers with a decisive size advantage. Poetl needs to stay out of foul trouble. They have no bigs beside him. It was a problem every time he had to leave the game against Memphis. Shit, he was plus 26 in a game that they won by 2 points.

1 minute ago, Kermit said:

Fucking Dejounte. How the fuck are you not going to guard the inbounder?

He was in no man’s land and worthless on defense. You double Embid on the inbound then go back to player if pass doesn’t go into Embid. Someone else needs to rotate over to double team Embid iafter that if needed.

Tough loss last night. Bad mistake by Murray to leave a shooter alone at the line only up by 2. That Derrick White missed FT turned out to be a killer. 

As much as I've bagged on Derozen all season, he's been really good in the bubble so far. I think part of it is his playing a small ball 4 in a faster pace, but it seems to be working to have Murray, White and Walker carry the load for the first three quarters and then let Demar try to finish off the game. His reputation as a choker is well earned, but maybe if he doesn't have to shoulder so much of the burden during the meat of the game, then he has a little more juice in closing time and will be more effective. I thought he was tremendous last night and notwithstanding his missed free throws against Memphis, he was great down the stretch against them as well. He's really the only guy they have who can create his shot completely on his own with any sort of regularity.

Also, I'm turning into a big Keldon Johnson fan. He's one of those guys who gets a bunch of shit done on the floor that doesn't show up in the box score. A hedge here, a hustle play there, a tipped rebound or deflected pass. He's definitely got a nose for the ball. PJ Tucker starter kit.

In my head, I know it's better if they don't make the playoffs. But when I watch the games, I can't help rooting for them even if it means a worse draft pick and a four game first round buttfucking at the hand of the Lakers.

Spurs have no answer for size, but they’ve balled out. Maybe one of you more analytics guys can explain Jakob to me, because he fucking looks like he blows donkey nuts on the offensive end. And he’s a walking foul call. I don’t get it. He refuses to dunk, gets his shit blocked, can’t shoot, and probably some other shit I’m missing. Does anyone see the Spurs matching an offer sheet?

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

Spurs have no answer for size, but they’ve balled out. Maybe one of you more analytics guys can explain Jakob to me, because he fucking looks like he blows donkey nuts on the offensive end. And he’s a walking foul call. I don’t get it. He refuses to dunk, gets his shit blocked, can’t shoot, and probably some other shit I’m missing. Does anyone see the Spurs matching an offer sheet?

Jakob's ladder sort of is what he is.  He's a backup level center with solid efficiency but probably not a great fit for where the game's going.  If he wants to take his game to the next level, he'll have to really improve his pick n pop game but his lumbersome change of direction probably won't allow him to ever be great or anything.  I have no idea what he'll be offered but you know how the Spurs are about keeping guys who have been in the system a couple of years.  He's only 24 so maybe he's developing a little better block game and extending his range, but I still have a hard time seeing more than a 20 minute a night guy.  Those are still valuable put pushed into 25 minutes a night is going to expose his flaws a lot.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I can jump on the Keldon Johnson bandwagon yet. Do any of us really want to watch a guy go hard all the time, drive and create contact to get free throws, shoot well from 3 and take good shots, bust his ass playing smart defense without gambling for steals all the time, and diving for loose balls? No thank you, I'll take Marco looking like just woke up from a drunken nap and Bryn Forbes.

wtf Dejounte Murray, 2-8 for 4 points, no free throws attempted, and 1 rebound. Got his ass whipped the entire game.

2 games against the Jazz left, one against the pelicans and 1 against the rockets. I don't see it happening. Rudy Gay has actually played well these past 2 games and I don't think he has many more of these in him.

• Hook 'Em 2

That game sucked because the Spurs were damned if they do, damned if they don’t on defense. Denver had immense firepower on the arc, and anytime they faceguarded a player, Jokic backdoored their ass. Holy shit, he can fucking pass. The playoffs are going to be awesome in the West. Maybe the Spurs don’t make it, but watching the young guys develop and play their asses off has been entertaining. 

• Hook 'Em 1