San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

At 6-11 the Spurs have beaten the 4-12 Knicks twice, 5-12 Blazers, 5-8 Nationals, 5-10 Thunder &, 3-13 Warriors. The Spurs haven't beaten anyone with a pulse, just a bunch of bottom dwellers and have lost to the Nationals, Grizzlies and Magic. That's pitiful any way you slice it.

7 hours ago, ZanTheFan said:

Is DJM being load managed all season? If it has been written about already somewhere, then I missed it.

The idea was for him to get off back to backs and only play about 20-25 minutes per game until about the 10th game of the year.  Also since Pop refuses to play DJM and DW together, it's basically 48 minutes chopped up b/w the 2.  Supposedly, they would build towards playing them together as the season goes on.  No idea why, but Murray should be able to log 30 minutes by the new year, but until they decide to play these guys together, neither of them look like they'll play more than 30 minutes unless the other one is out.

33 minutes ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

SSi0v3m.jpg

I didn't watch the game, but I did see this on reddit and thought I should share. Apparently Derozan passed up this open 3. I'm very happy I did not watch this game.

Is it really tanking if we just suck ass? Are any of the top 10 this year worth tanking for?

You are correct sir. At this point, and with this roster, they’re going to have a high lottery pick anyway. Wiseman and Ball are at the top of many lists. Can’t see the Spurs touching the Balls due to their inherent irritation. 

Well guys, the good news is Pop apparently has come around to starting White as he feels the starter's have a better rhythm when he's in.  Bad news is he's benching DJM and having him play with the 2nd unit now.  Forbes continues to start next to DD despite them being maybe the worst starting defensive perimeter duo in the league.  Also, Marco got his first DNP last night so that may be good.  Bad news is we're playing Carroll in his spot and not Lonnie.  So..... advantage Spurs?

Edited by Patrick Bateman

On 11/26/2019 at 12:28 PM, purplepride95 said:

Read on Reddit that DJM unfollowed the Spurs and some players. Also DD whipped his Twitter like he did before getting traded from Toronto. 

He unfollowed LMA.  Never followed the Spurs in first place so that's a non story.  DD wipes (not whipped) his IG a ton so probably is nothing.  Rumor is staff went to LMA and maybe Patty to get their insights, they told the coaches the starters run better with DW in the lineup, the coaching staff and Pop, in their infinite wisdom, benched DJM instead of Forbes and now you have some beef.  Now DJM has been pretty poor the last 10 games, but whatever, be better young man and grow up.  These seems like one of those "challenge" moments from Pop.  The real issue is the team sucks and the organization needs to shift directions and trade off two high paid players (at least, probably 5).  That takes time so the next 6-10 weeks could be painful unless they figure out their rotations.  Again, DJM and DW haven't played but a minute or two together all year.  The DD-Forbes duo are awful defensively, like worst in the NBA bad, and continue to get major run.  Our bench at the swing or forward positions suck with only Rudy as a reasonable option.  Time to probably blow it up.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Rumor is staff went to LMA and maybe Patty to get their insights, they told the coaches the starters run better with DW in the lineup, the coaching staff and Pop, in their infinite wisdom, benched DJM instead of Forbes and now you have some beef.

I'm not defending starting Forbes, or even playing him at all for that matter, but a starting lineup of white, djm, dd, LMA, and poetl (or whoever else up front) would be the worst floor stretching unit in modern nba history. They gotta find some shooters who can d it up. They roster is fairly horribly constructed at this point. 

On 11/26/2019 at 4:59 PM, F250 said:

The Spurs have been my refuge after a decade of disappointing Longhorn football seasons but as the football season winds down I see a very dark cloud sitting over the Spurs. Fuck me.

I'm in the same boat. Too bad the Astros didn't do much to help.

That guy--you know who he is. Fuck him.

Didn't watch the game.  Question for those who did: how was DJM's body language coming off the bench? Did he seem motivated?

Hope that scuttlebutt during the middle of the week was just gossip. Team's gonna need him even though I still argue he doesn't belong at the point.

Wish I had've caught the game tonight. Might dig for a replay. Looks like Poeltl (4 blocks in 16 minutes - good shit Jake), Mills and D White were our best players. Hope nothing weird is going on behind the scenes with Dejounte - he has real potential to be our best player - and minus the mins restriction probably would be. 

You know... we've talked a lot in this thread about tanking or shipping DeMar/Lamarcus or blowing it up and going full rebuild and rightfully so, but we haven't talked much about what the West looks like right now. Our division is kind of murder with Houston and Dallas both being pretty damn good (especially Dallas - I'm not 100% sold on the Rockets yet), but there are really only 6 teams that I would say are a lock for the playoffs (unless Ayton and Booker  turn into Wade/Shaq 2.0  for the Suns when he comes back) - #7 and #8 are wide open right now and despite our shitty start we are just 2 GB of 8th. 

The league is thin this season and with this being a meh draft I'd still like to see us contend for a playoff spot - maybe make a midseason trade - and try and give one of the top seeds hell in April. With the history of our front office the difference between picking 10th and picking 15th should be minimal. I'm glad Pop is shaking things up already: starting D White, playing Marco less, etc. - because I do believe that we have some potential on our roster, even if DD and LMA unfortunately set a pretty low ceiling for us as our 2 "best" players. We can be at least as good as we were last year with our current roster and the '19 Spurs took a good Nuggets team to 7 without HCA. If PATFO can find something out there trade-wise to give this team some juice there's a chance we can turn into an interesting playoff team. 

Not trying to overreact to one win - just wanted to contextualize our shitty season a little bit. We started 11-14 last year, there's plenty of time to flip the script and sprinkle more fairy dust on Pop's legendary career. 

@Pistons on Sunday and Houston at home Tuesday. Go Spurs and fuck Tech. 

Went to the game last night and was really glad I did. That was the best they have looked all year and the crowd still hates Kawhi. They still booed him every time he touched the ball and lost their minds every time Poeltel blocked his shot. Kawhi was visibly frustrated most of the game. The good guys seemed to have a lot of energy and really got up for this game. DeMar even shot and made a three!

• Like 1