San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

1 hour ago, Chad said:

Trade Forbes? To who and for what? He's borderline worthless, he brings some 3-pt shooting that goes in spurts, when it falls consistently he can break even on the +/- end, when his shooting is spotty he's heavily on the - end because his defense ranks close to the worst in the entire NBA. LMA deserves a feel good ending, if Portland wasn't in cap hell the reunion he seeks there would be a fitting ending to his career. Things didn't work out the way he envisioned in SA with the nephew going full bitch ass. Who would want DeRozan? Possibly the Knicks or Magic? The Knicks have jack shit to offer in a trade. Can't envision any other suitors.

His salary.  Can always use salary to match up with trades, but forgot he's a UFA, so just let him go..... I respect he's made himself into a NBA player considering where he started but he doesn't help us with our roster and other players.  I wish him well.

A lot of activity goes on in the offseason and plenty of teams will sort of remake themselves, including the Spurs.  DeRozan has a place, but I"m starting to wonder if he opts in.  I don't think he's a max player and with the COVID situation unclear and the salary cap probably suppressed, I think he may just take the 28m and then try and re-enter FA in 2021.

17 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Sign and trade DeRozan.

Trade Forbes.

See what LMA wants to do but maybe trade him too.

Problem is our young guys are all guards running around.  Need some length and athleticism up front but we've been saying that since David's back got fucked up.

Get rid of LMA and Derozan. Go total rebuild around the young core of White, Poeltl, DJM, Lonnie and Keldon Johnson. If you take that core and add the right complimentary pieces (a couple of pure shooters and a stretch big or two), that's a team that can win a couple of playoff series in the not-distant future.

35 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Get rid of LMA and Derozan. Go total rebuild around the young core of White, Poeltl, DJM, Lonnie and Keldon Johnson. If you take that core and add the right complimentary pieces (a couple of pure shooters and a stretch big or two), that's a team that can win a couple of playoff series in the not-distant future.

Agreed.  I'd do right by LMA as he was a good soldier other than his first offseason where he pouted but need to start rebuilding.  I'm really proud of the bubble efforts of this Spurs team but, ultimately, probably benefits them more to get in the lottery and hope to get lucky.  Eventually we'll need to move one of White, Lonnie or DJM but doesn't have to be until next offseason.  I wouldn't include Poeltl in that equation unless he wants to sign a value deal.  We need a star is the problem and I'm not sure we have one on the roster.  Maybe we'll get lucky in the draft this year or always have cap space coming available for a disgruntled star on an expiring.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Agreed.  I'd do right by LMA as he was a good soldier other than his first offseason where he pouted but need to start rebuilding.  I'm really proud of the bubble efforts of this Spurs team but, ultimately, probably benefits them more to get in the lottery and hope to get lucky.  Eventually we'll need to move one of White, Lonnie or DJM but doesn't have to be until next offseason.  I wouldn't include Poeltl in that equation unless he wants to sign a value deal.  We need a star is the problem and I'm not sure we have one on the roster.  Maybe we'll get lucky in the draft this year or always have cap space coming available for a disgruntled star on an expiring.

Agreed on all counts; doing right by LMA, getting the lotto pick, and moving one of the three guards. It won't be White, so let's hope Lonnie shows out enough to make DJM, who I like but I think is a known quantity by now, expendable.

Need a star indeed. We have tons of pieces, but a go-to guy in the 4th is most important. White is the only young guy that has the makeup, but I'm not sure that he's that guy. He can create for himself, but not as easily as DD. He creates for others better than DeRozan does, and obvs is better off the ball, but we need a guy that can go get that last shot. 

I'm also not sold on Jakob. He's ok at the 5, but will either need another big to help him out down low (a 4), or will need to be a matchup/bench player. He works hard, but in the bubble he's appeared pretty weak in the paint at both rebounding and obviously also finishing at the rim. He refuses to be aggressive in his finishing and it literally partially cost us a game last week. We have 4 young guys that have shown no reluctance to take the ball to the rim, and we'll be missing a lot of points if we don't get them a guy that can finish in traffic when they collapse defenses. We've already seen it. 

The last thing I want to see is the Spurs overpay for Jakob. His offensive game hasn't showed any kind of development after joining the Spurs, let someone else overpay for him in similar fashion to Boban, Dedmon, Baynes, etc. The NBA continues to evolve and shift towards a small ball philosophy. I'm impressed with Keldon Johnson, I loved the pick and that he fell all the way to the Spurs. Keldon has displayed a competitive drive and a desire to win playing much bigger than his size. Murray has been a mystery this season, I expected better from him.

• Like 1

Look.... we've all been begging for them to tear it down to the studs as soon as Kawhi pulled his bullshit. It isn't going to happen.

Derozan is not going anywhere with the current COVID cap situation for at least another year. Also, he's been a bit of a revelation to me as a small ball four in the bubble surrounded by some other guys who can shoot and get up and down the court. As much as I would like them to give the keys to White, Walker and Murray, Demar is still (as long as LMA is out, at least) the best player on the team. This team isn't winning shit with him, but they sure as hell aren't winning shit without him.

I love how hard they have been playing and I really like what the young guys have been showing, but the reality is that they have arguably the worst roster in the conference. Here's a challenge, find me one team in the conference that doesn't have a player you would take over any current Spur to be your current or future franchise player. You win in this league with superstars. The Spurs have none. Who is their best shot? Keldon Johnson? Lonnie Walker? Samanic who can't find minutes on the current team that has a total of one healthy front court player? No offense to Drew Eubanks. 

So, the bottom line to me is that it doesn't really matter what happens with Derozan or Aldridge, they are in purgatory either way.  With as stacked as the conference is now, their ceiling is probably the 8th seed for the foreseeable future.  They need a mid to late first round miracle (e.g., Kawhi, Giannis) or they need to get lucky in the lottery with a no brainer franchise player.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Look.... we've all been begging for them to tear it down to the studs as soon as Kawhi pulled his bullshit. It isn't going to happen.

Derozan is not going anywhere with the current COVID cap situation for at least another year. Also, he's been a bit of a revelation to me as a small ball four in the bubble surrounded by some other guys who can shoot and get up and down the court. As much as I would like them to give the keys to White, Walker and Murray, Demar is still (as long as LMA is out, at least) the best player on the team. This team isn't winning shit with him, but they sure as hell aren't winning shit without him.

I love how hard they have been playing and I really like what the young guys have been showing, but the reality is that they have arguably the worst roster in the conference. Here's a challenge, find me one team in the conference that doesn't have a player you would take over any current Spur to be your current or future franchise player. You win in this league with superstars. The Spurs have none. Who is their best shot? Keldon Johnson? Lonnie Walker? Samanic who can't find minutes on the current team that has a total of one healthy front court player? No offense to Drew Eubanks. 

So, the bottom line to me is that it doesn't really matter what happens with Derozan or Aldridge, they are in purgatory either way.  With as stacked as the conference is now, their ceiling is probably the 8th seed for the foreseeable future.  They need a mid to late first round miracle (e.g., Kawhi, Giannis) or they need to get lucky in the lottery with a no brainer franchise player.

That's very debatable, especially with another year on him as a player in decline while the other should improve.  Also, if this team isn't winning shit with him, why not try to cash in on him and get some assets which could help the Spurs get to a position where they could be a legit contender in a few years.  While, your opinion may prove true because RC and Pop tend to get entrenched, it doesn't mean it's the best way to proceed.  In fact, I would argue, it's not and after all the data points we have over the last two seasons, why continue beating our heads against a wall and continue towards its current trajectory.  If DD opts in (which I conceded above is becoming more and more the reality) and it takes until the deadline next season to move him, then that's fine, but getting nothing for him except for cap space is another poor move, IMO, especially if the plan is to challenge for a 8 seed while wasting yet another year of guys on their rookie contracts.  It may be the road we travel, but it's the wrong one.

And yes, we need a foundational superstar, where has this franchise typically found those?  From David to Timmah to Kawhi, all of those guys have been drafted in the top half of the draft.

Our best shot is probably Lonnie or DWhite but even those guys are probably secondary or tertiary players on a real contender.

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree, we've witnessed the ceiling with DDR, it's a #8 seed. If the Spurs could swing a sign and trade for DeRozan that would be huge. Only thing is there will be a lack of suitors, the Knicks have cap space, but nothing besides draft capital to unload and I doubt they'd part way with valuable picks for a 31 year old  playoff choker in hopes of ending their playoff futility. Lonnie and Derrick White are nice complimentary pieces, but none of those guys are going to put this team over the top. I'm enjoying the younger players getting minutes, but the wins the Spurs have accumulated are fucking them out of draft position, they need a superstar. Who wants to watch the Spurs get destroyed by the Lakers in 4 or 5 games for the sake of a meaningless streak? Not this guy, that chapter reached an end with the retirement of Tim/Manu ,TP moving on and the bitch ass nephew demanding a trade.

Edited by Chad

1 minute ago, Chad said:

I agree, we've witnessed the ceiling with DDR, it's a #8 seed. If the Spurs could swing a sign and trade for DeRozan that would be huge. Only thing is there will be a lack of suitors, the Knicks have cap space, but nothing besides draft capital to unload and I doubt they'd part way with valuable picks for a 31 year old  playoff choker in hopes of ending their playoff futility. Lonnie and Derrick White are nice complimentary pieces, but none of those guys are going to put this team over the top. I'm enjoying the younger players getting minutes, but the wins the Spurs have accumulated are fucking them out of draft position, they need a superstar. Who wants to watch the Spurs get destroyed by the Lakers in 4 or 5 games for the sake of a meaningless streak? Not this guy, that chapter reached an end with the retirement of Tim/Manu ,TP moving on and the bitch ass nephew demanding a trade.

I think they only lose their position if they claim the eight seed. Everyone’s position pre-stoppage is still in stone unless you claim the spot. Then it moves. But I could be wrong. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is it selfish that I want to watch these guys in the playoffs?

I know this is an uninspired Rockets team but I swear we are getting better as the season progresses. 

No. I’m with you, but I’m conflicted as I also want in the lottery. 

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is it selfish that I want to watch these guys in the playoffs?

I know this is an uninspired Rockets team but I swear we are getting better as the season progresses. 

not selfish. I want the playoffs right now too. Sure, it hurts our draft positioning, but watching these guys right now is a lot of fun.

On 8/10/2020 at 8:47 AM, ztejas said:

We need to win both remaining games and have Portland lose one to make the play in. 

GSG?

*Or have Memphis lose both I beleive.

Think I read the Spurs need six of 8 things to fall for us to get in the play-in series. We need to win both games (one down after today), Memphis lose twice and Phoenix and Portland lose at least one of their final two games. Is that correct?

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Think I read the Spurs need six of 8 things to fall for us to get in the play-in series. We need to win both games (one down after today), Memphis lose twice and Phoenix and Portland lose at least one of their final two games. Is that correct?

Yes except we only need 2 of the 3 scenarios with the teams you outline - as one will make the play in with us. 

So we need Memphis to lose both AND Portland to lose one, or Memphis to lose both AND Phoenix to lose one, or Phoenix AND Portland to lose one.

(Assuming we beat UTA)

• Hook 'Em 1

Keldon fucking big body Johnson. 24 points on 8-12 shooting, 3-3 on 3 pointers, 5-5 from the free throw line, 11 rebounds and 3 assists in 25 minutes. I want a good pick, but beating some teams is always worth it, and the rockets are one of those teams. I didn't get to watch the game today but I watched him against New Orleans and JJ Redick was just toying with him. It's good to see him bounce back with a big game.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If you're wondering what to root for tomorrow:

So Dallas has nothing to play for and will likely roll over for Phoenix. 

Brooklyn has nothing to play for and will likely roll over for Portland. 

In both those scenarios, whatever the Spurs do is irrelevant, right? They are out either way.

Bud will probably do Pop a solid and try to beat Memphis, but it won't matter if Phoenix and Portland win.

As much as I would have liked them to make the playoffs, this is probably the best scenario for them. Play well, get some development with the young guys, build some positive momentum and maintain ping pong balls.

Also, you have to give Phoenix and Portland their due. They have been playing balls out. They both deserve a chance to get their shit pushed in by the Lakers.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

So Dallas has nothing to play for and will likely roll over for Phoenix. 

Brooklyn has nothing to play for and will likely roll over for Portland. 

In both those scenarios, whatever the Spurs do is irrelevant, right? They are out either way.

Bud will probably do Pop a solid and try to beat Memphis, but it won't matter if Phoenix and Portland win.

As much as I would have liked them to make the playoffs, this is probably the best scenario for them. Play well, get some development with the young guys, build some positive momentum and maintain ping pong balls.

Also, you have to give Phoenix and Portland their due. They have been playing balls out. They both deserve a chance to get their shit pushed in by the Lakers.

Pretty much.  All of the teams we need to help have nothing to play for.... Now in the bubble, we've seen some funky games where backups win some games, but still not great.

Had to expect this:

Bucks play Memphis.  I also wouldn't be shocked if Dallas rests Doncic.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Agreed. Bottom 8 teams locked in the lottery so best case scenario is pick 9. 

20 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Pretty much.  All of the teams we need to help have nothing to play for.... Now in the bubble, we've seen some funky games where backups win some games, but still not great.

Had to expect this:

Bucks play Memphis.  I also wouldn't be shocked if Dallas rests Doncic.

E tu, George?

Oh well, fuck it. I admit I haven't followed the draft very closely for years, so who would we want in the 9-14 pick range? I'm not terribly impressed with the guys at the top, Obi Toppin or Avidja would be interesting but they'll both be top 5 picks. Wiseman will be gone. I'd guess we go for a guy that can play the 3 and 4 or a 5.

I would guess Saddiq Bey out of Villanova and Patrick Williams from Florida State could fit the 3-4 spot, maybe Jalen Smith out of Maryland.

Precious Achiuwa out of Memphis seems to go pretty high in most mocks, about 6-9 and could play the 4-5 I think, but I think I read that only 10% or so of his shots came from outside 5 feet so could be limited offensively but did average 15-10 as freshman. We need a defensive presence in the paint.

Vernon Carey from Duke.

Paul Reed from Depaul

The most likely pick: Aleksej Pokuševski, PF out of Serbia. 7 footer that can hit 3's

I looked at 3 or 4 mock drafts for several minutes and came up with the expert opinion that these guys are some prospects we're looking at.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

Oh well, fuck it. I admit I haven't followed the draft very closely for years, so who would we want in the 9-14 pick range? I'm not terribly impressed with the guys at the top, Obi Toppin or Avidja would be interesting but they'll both be top 5 picks. Wiseman will be gone. I'd guess we go for a guy that can play the 3 and 4 or a 5.

I would guess Saddiq Bey out of Villanova and Patrick Williams from Florida State could fit the 3-4 spot, maybe Jalen Smith out of Maryland.

Precious Achiuwa out of Memphis seems to go pretty high in most mocks, about 6-9 and could play the 4-5 I think, but I think I read that only 10% or so of his shots came from outside 5 feet so could be limited offensively but did average 15-10 as freshman. We need a defensive presence in the paint.

Vernon Carey from Duke.

Paul Reed from Depaul

The most likely pick: Aleksej Pokuševski, PF out of Serbia. 7 footer that can hit 3's

I looked at 3 or 4 mock drafts for several minutes and came up with the expert opinion that these guys are some prospects we're looking at.

CalculatingAdorableKoala-size_restricted