Good thing Mrs.LL is white

Ghost of LL

So she goes to the nail salon this morning and I take the boy to his soccer game. While I’m watching the game, I get a call from ADT that my house alarm is going off. They ask if they should send a cop. Yeah, sure.

So MrsLL gets home. There’s a cop car out front. But she doesn’t see the cop. She goes inside and checks around. Nothing.

So she takes the dog out into the back to piss. As soon as she steps outside, she hears “Police—hands up.” About 30’ away, there’s a cop with his gun drawn and pointed at her.

Fortunately, she’s white. So she didn’t get shot. But fuck, man—every gun class I’ve ever had told me not to point my weapon at something no didn’t want to die. It’s a good rule. Why the fuck don’t cops follow it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like there should be red and blue lights flashing directly in front of the house for these checks.  Like, wouldn't that clear up a lot of confusion, especially at night?  That lady in Fort Worth would likely not square up in the window if the entire block is flashing with red and blue lights.  But, nah, lets park a few houses down and tiptoe through the residence with guns drawn and swing wildly to check corners.   There are handfuls of retired police chiefs that attribute a lot of this nonsense on the "us vs. them, occupying force style training."  

All that aside, glad Mrs. LL didn't have her torso riddled with bullets.  Imagine the emotional destruction of having to process that and then watching that Kansas game.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2019 at 7:26 AM, Ghost of LL said:

So she goes to the nail salon this morning and I take the boy to his soccer game. While I’m watching the game, I get a call from ADT that my house alarm is going off. They ask if they should send a cop. Yeah, sure.

So MrsLL gets home. There’s a cop car out front. But she doesn’t see the cop. She goes inside and checks around. Nothing.

So she takes the dog out into the back to piss. As soon as she steps outside, she hears “Police—hands up.” About 30’ away, there’s a cop with his gun drawn and pointed at her.

Fortunately, she’s white. So she didn’t get shot. But fuck, man—every gun class I’ve ever had told me not to point my weapon at something no didn’t want to die. It’s a good rule. Why the fuck don’t cops follow it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to read this but happy of course that nothing horrible happened. Seems like this scenario is definitely one to consider for your overall security thinking

About 3 years back I was in my upstairs home office - looked out the window - and say a policeman up against my tree with his gun pulled up and at his face level or so. I was like WTF. i put the dog into his crate - he was somehow not barking at this which is way odd - and  I gently opened the front door yelling "homeowner" and holy shit there were like 9 of them running around and they were AMPED THE FUCK UP. none of them could clearly tell me WTF was going on. Their adrenaline was raging. Eventually I found out that a car jacker ran around the hood and maybe through my back yard.

if i was back there, my wife, or my dog? well the dog would for sure be dead thats for sure

I quit my security contract at that point. Although not as directly related to the security system issue you just experienced - it still made me think. I'd rather have someone rob my house than have the police show up with me and my family there. So I got some nest cams. $10/month for video storage.

Maybe consider something like that for your next move my man. Good luck

Edited by staboner
  • Like 1

Your house is being broken into, the cops are on the way, and you don’t text your wife about it?   How was the weekend after she thought this situation through?

side note, imho monitored security does nothing for you except peace of mind.They sold you on peace of mind with zero evidence. If they truly saved people, wouldn’t you think those stories would be highlighted on the commercials? I assume there are a few lucky examples where someone’s life was saved but it’s possible there are zero.

alarm systems themselves are ok. They can wake you up or now it send you a message there is a problem. Then you can decide what to do. Paying ADT to do that is a scam. 

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Your house is being broken into, the cops are on the way, and you don’t text your wife about it?   How was the weekend after she thought this situation through?

side note, imho monitored security does nothing for you except peace of mind.They sold you on peace of mind with zero evidence. If they truly saved people, wouldn’t you think those stories would be highlighted on the commercials? I assume there are a few lucky examples where someone’s life was saved but it’s possible there are zero.

alarm systems themselves are ok. They can wake you up or now it send you a message there is a problem. Then you can decide what to do. Paying ADT to do that is a scam. 

I didn't text her.  I called her and talked to her while she was still at the salon.  So she knew the alarm was going off and that the cops had been called.

26 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I don’t understand the timing. She got home, cop was already on scene, she walked into the house and had time to take the dog outside. Where was the cop when she got home? Creeping around the side of your house? Sitting in their car?

When she got home, she saw the cop car down the street.  The alarm was still going off.  So she left our daughter in the car while she went in, turned off the alarm, and checked around the house to make sure everything was ok.

After she was satisfied that there wasn't an intruder in the house, she went back out and got the girl out of the car.  She then let the dog out of his crate to go piss.  So it'd been a few minutes--she either forgot about the cop car or assumed the cop had left.  And since he was hanging out in the backyard, he didn't see her come in.