This offense sucks and there's no excuse

BigHorn'13

For all the bitching and moaning about the defense (and at this point, rightfully so) this offense is unimaginative and stubbornly consistent. We've got 7 coaches and God knows how many QCs GAs consultants and whatever else on that side of the ball and the product is shit. 

But go ahead. Let's hear about how us questioning mensa and his offensive firepower (lol) are just being bitchass pussies. We're just Joe fan and don't know shit anyways. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 3

The offensive line is not great and our receivers cannot catch balls part of the time. I would also not say that 600 yards of offense tonight is not a great achievement because Kansas sucks. However, they got it done tonight especially when they had to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Y'all right. Offense killed it. Delete thread ban user 

Plays are hardly even called in this RPO era anyway, I don't find your arguement convincing...I mean the offense has a ways to go to be among the very elite but I don't think playcalling is the problem.

1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Y'all right. Offense killed it. Delete thread ban user 

I didn’t realize this was posted two hours ago. I can’t say I wasn’t feeling the same for a reactionary minute or two.

Seriously though this defense is fucking infuriating, even if they’re missing 6 starters. Unreal.

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

For all the bitching and moaning about the defense (and at this point, rightfully so) this offense is unimaginative and stubbornly consistent. We've got 7 coaches and God knows how many QCs GAs consultants and whatever else on that side of the ball and the product is shit. 

But go ahead. Let's hear about how us questioning mensa and his offensive firepower (lol) are just being bitchass pussies. We're just Joe fan and don't know shit anyways. 

Image result for Bruh meme

Yeah, offense didn't score 8 points on every possession, that means it sucks.

2 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Good point.  We'd really have to see how much the Texas offense would score against the Texas defense to see how good or shitty they really are.

They would need to add digits to the scoreboard.

• Like 1

The offense lacks elite speed from the skill positions save for a couple of kids on the team. Your best RB never played the position until 7 games ago, that should tell you what you need to know. This offense needs a credible threat at TE, and doesn't have one. The center is awful, and can get beat easily on the same simple stunt 10+ times a game.

• Like 1

Box scores aside, I agree with the OP.  We still can't run the ball consistently, our O-line is allowing way too much pressure on Sam, and our lack of any sort of short yardage game is troubling.  I get it, 600 yards, 50 points, etc, but how many drives were kept alive by Sam running for his life?  The only reason we won this game is solely due to #11, nothing else. 

• Like 3

Problem is we’re not Oklahoma good on offense to make up for our horrendous defense and Herman is too stubborn to go hire a guy to make us better. Ed Orgeron did it and now they’re a playoff contender with a Heisman trophy candidate. In true Texas fashion we sit on our hands and only react when we absolutely have to

Edited by A’Dam Psycho
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Assman said:

Box scores aside, I agree with the OP.  We still can't run the ball consistently, our O-line is allowing way too much pressure on Sam, and our lack of any sort of short yardage game is troubling.  I get it, 600 yards, 50 points, etc, but how many drives were kept alive by Sam running for his life?  The only reason we won this game is solely due to #11, nothing else. 

Exact-O-Fucking-Mundo

WVU, ou and now through the first half plus-ish against fucking Kansas. Sam is the only thing keeping this offense going and he's having to run more than he did his freshman year. Even our badass announcers (sarcasm alert) pointed out that he had been either sacked or hurried (can't remember) more times this season than all of his freshman year. That's right, the same OL that was supposed to be our best unit going into this season is on par with the same OL that had Okafor and Nicholson at tackles. 

There's no excuses for our running game either. Don't give a single solitary fuck about depth and injuries. Tom went into this season knowing he was going to be relying on a true sophomore and a true freshman converted RB. He's been gifted Roschon yet stubbornly keeps Ingram ahead of him when it's obvious that Roschon is better at this point. But don't worry, our "extension" of the running game will help out eventually. Devin running those flairs is still a fresh concept other teams haven't picked up on and running Sam 15+ times (by design or not) doesn't come with any consequences. 

Our receivers are not physical. Like, at all. CJ has gotten better but he still doesn't play his size. Everyone seems to have caught a case of the drops. Malcolm Epps continues to play a position in this offense that requires him to be a possession receiver. He'll eventually be better but I honestly don't understand him still playing when literally any DB can lock him up and make him look like a baby giraffe trying to catch a ball. If mensa is really mensa, he should have the scout team (or the whole fucking defense for that matter) hold and PI on every play in practice. Get used to that shit and fight it off. Learn how to draw the flag when necessary. 

Continuing to run 11 personnel 99.9% of the time will be Herman's downfall. Especially within the narrow scope he or Beck are currently calling the plays in. There's no surprise in this offense. If you can't at least agree that this staff doesn't do a good job of breaking tendencies then I don't know why you're still reading this. 

The whole point of this thread is to point out the flaws in this basic offense and get people to realize it's not just the defense that's costing us games. It's incredibly disingenuous to say "2 losses by a combined 2 TDs." We sucked shit through a straw against ou all fucking game and, to be honest, I'm starting to think that LSU game looks a lot different had it been played later in the season. We shouldn't struggle to move the ball against Kansas. Like fucking ever. Making this thread after the first half of producing 21 points and seeing some of you come back after the game and say "durr, 50 points and 600 yards" is fucking laughable because you're still not seeing the problems. 

TLDR-- I'm still just being a bitchass pussy who's not happy with 600 yards and 50 points. It's what you'll gather from most of the replies anyways. 

• Like 4

Actually I’m with OP as well. What exactly do we hang our hat on? Sam running the ball? 

seriously if that’s taken away like ou game, we are fucked and it showed. We have no creativity and our adjustments seem to suck ass. We don’t seek to exploit a defense or attack them, we just say we will beat you on 9 routes. Yeah I over simplified that last bit, but too often we have far too long developing pass routes or plays. 

• Like 3

Anyone defending our offense by using our performance against Kansas is a shit for brains that was likely defending Orlando up until last week or so.  The offense is not awful, but it's not that great, particularly for this conference.  We consistently refuse to run the ball with our RBs, we panic and abandon the run completely when we get behind, and we have no imagination at all when it comes to screens and misdirection.  Our playcalling and clock management are also shitty.  

We should instead just copy OU's offense, just like OU did to us with the wishbone.  Worked out pretty well for them.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Like 4

50 points (and that’s with 2 turnovers and ridiculous 4th down calls) should be more than enough to beat fucking Kansas. Shit, if you’d told me before the game that we scored 50 points I’d have assumed Casey got some meaningful reps, not that we won on a walkoff field goal. Offense was not the problem. Heck our offense is the only thing that’s currently keeping this from devolving into 2015-2016 levels of shittiness

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

Two headscratching 4th down calls away from looking generally fine?

And an almost near cluster beep  at the end with eight seconds on the clock.

But yes if we had ran the right plays on those 4th downs and converted those drive into Texas scores instead of Kansas converting them into their scores, this thread would not be here.

Texas is ninth in the country in scoring average, ergo STFU

4 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

50 points (and that’s with 2 turnovers and ridiculous 4th down calls) should be more than enough to beat fucking Kansas. Shit, if you’d told me before the game that we scored 50 points I’d have assumed Casey got some meaningful reps, not that we won on a walkoff field goal. Offense was not the problem. Heck our offense is the only thing that’s currently keeping this from devolving into 2015-2016 levels of shittiness

And let's put this into perspective.   The second greatest program to walk the football fields in America  next to every SEC SEC SEC SEC school, Clemson and Ohio State scored 45 on KU.    Yea the same Offense led by the QB who already has his name engraved on Heismen and his tux fitted scored less on this same KU team than we did.   That's not to say we didn't have our offensive brain farts and they are well documented.   But the offense no where looked like the crap sandwich that the defense looked like.  In fact compared to the OU game, they did much better, especially on some of the play calls which in that OU game was very much like a very bad Greg Davis flashback.

1 minute ago, GTX Horn said:

Sam is. Don't get it twisted. But I'm glad last night's performance, as well as the previous 2 games, have you convinced all is well on offense. 

10 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We need a legit OC

and the “smash spread” goatfuck whatever offense is steaming horseshit compared to the spread/air raid

the offense that stomped the ever living shit out of Alabama with a 3rd string qb for a championship needs to be scrapped for the offense that never wins shit but the Big 12. 

I forgot the QB doesn’t count in offensive stats, better go back and back out all of VY running yards, that 2005 offense doesn’t like that great then

4 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

And let's put this into perspective.   The second greatest program to walk the football fields in America  next to every SEC SEC SEC SEC school, Clemson and Ohio State scored 45 on KU.    Yea the same Offense led by the QB who already has his name engraved on Heismen and his tux fitted scored less on this same KU team than we did.   That's not to say we didn't have our offensive brain farts and they are well documented.   But the offense no where looked like the crap sandwich that the defense looked like.  In fact compared to the OU game, they did much better, especially on some of the play calls which in that OU game was very much like a very bad Greg Davis flashback.

My simple brain needs some help understanding this one. When did Kansas play Clemson and Ohio state?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

My simple brain needs some help understanding this one. When did Kansas play Clemson and Ohio state?

OU played KU a few weeks ago and had their struggles against them (21-7 at half) .  And all we've heard since OU opened their season against Cougar High is they haven't skipped a beat from the Ewok and Baker leading them and Lincoln Riley because of this should be the next Jerry Jones tool in Arlington.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

OU played KU a few weeks ago and had their struggles against them.  And all we've heard since OU opened their season against Cougar High is they haven't skipped a beat from the Ewok and Baker leading them and Lincoln Riley because of this should be the next Jerry Jones tool in Arlington.  

Be fair, most of us would be damned-well pleased to see Riley follow Coach Bro's move to the big stage.

26 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Exact-O-Fucking-Mundo

WVU, ou and now through the first half plus-ish against fucking Kansas. Sam is the only thing keeping this offense going and he's having to run more than he did his freshman year. Even our badass announcers (sarcasm alert) pointed out that he had been either sacked or hurried (can't remember) more times this season than all of his freshman year. That's right, the same OL that was supposed to be our best unit going into this season is on par with the same OL that had Okafor and Nicholson at tackles. 

There's no excuses for our running game either. Don't give a single solitary fuck about depth and injuries. Tom went into this season knowing he was going to be relying on a true sophomore and a true freshman converted RB. He's been gifted Roschon yet stubbornly keeps Ingram ahead of him when it's obvious that Roschon is better at this point. But don't worry, our "extension" of the running game will help out eventually. Devin running those flairs is still a fresh concept other teams haven't picked up on and running Sam 15+ times (by design or not) doesn't come with any consequences. 

Our receivers are not physical. Like, at all. CJ has gotten better but he still doesn't play his size. Everyone seems to have caught a case of the drops. Malcolm Epps continues to play a position in this offense that requires him to be a possession receiver. He'll eventually be better but I honestly don't understand him still playing when literally any DB can lock him up and make him look like a baby giraffe trying to catch a ball. If mensa is really mensa, he should have the scout team (or the whole fucking defense for that matter) hold and PI on every play in practice. Get used to that shit and fight it off. Learn how to draw the flag when necessary. 

Continuing to run 11 personnel 99.9% of the time will be Herman's downfall. Especially within the narrow scope he or Beck are currently calling the plays in. There's no surprise in this offense. If you can't at least agree that this staff doesn't do a good job of breaking tendencies then I don't know why you're still reading this. 

The whole point of this thread is to point out the flaws in this basic offense and get people to realize it's not just the defense that's costing us games. It's incredibly disingenuous to say "2 losses by a combined 2 TDs." We sucked shit through a straw against ou all fucking game and, to be honest, I'm starting to think that LSU game looks a lot different had it been played later in the season. We shouldn't struggle to move the ball against Kansas. Like fucking ever. Making this thread after the first half of producing 21 points and seeing some of you come back after the game and say "durr, 50 points and 600 yards" is fucking laughable because you're still not seeing the problems. 

TLDR-- I'm still just being a bitchass pussy who's not happy with 600 yards and 50 points. It's what you'll gather from most of the replies anyways. 

spacer.png

Thank you. Yes, it's still possible to put up big numbers and look like shit (i.e last night). We make the game way harder than it needs to be. Herman's stubbornness and arrogance is what keeps this team stagnant when it should be taking that next step to becoming dominant on offense. No excuse to not let Roschon carry the load in the run game and to actually commit to running the football. There is absolutely no reason to play Epps as much as they are right now unless it's in the redzone and even then I'm not sure if he'll catch the ball. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

OU played KU a few weeks ago and had their struggles against them (21-7 at half) .  And all we've heard since OU opened their season against Cougar High is they haven't skipped a beat from the Ewok and Baker leading them and Lincoln Riley because of this should be the next Jerry Jones tool in Arlington.  

If there's Heisman hype around hurts, I haven't heard it. Plus they played on the road, a week before us. We played at home, a week after a wakeup call. Not an excuse. 

Offenses need a rhythm which is something we don’t have and only makes things defensively more difficult when the O  results in massive amounts of 3 and outs which makes defending even harder which puts us in a hole only making the offense more desperate leading to fast scoring or more 3 and out rinse and repeat.  “But Sock the High powered OU offenses scored less on KU than we did.” Because they didn’t fucking have too! OU could sustain drives and and finish those drives meaning OUs defense only needed to get 1 or 2 stops to put the game out of reach and how some of you don’t understand this concept baffles me.

Edited by Not a Sock

2 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Offenses need a rhythm which is something we don’t have and only makes things defensively more difficult when the O  results in massive amounts of 3 and outs which makes defending even harder which puts us in a hole only making the offense more desperate leading to with fast scoring or more 3 and out rinse and repeat.  “But Sock the High powered OU offenses scored less on KU than we did.” Because they didn’t fucking have too! OU could sustain drives and and finish those drives mean OUs defense only needed to get 1 or 2 stops to put the game out of reach and how some of you don’t understand this concept baffles me.

OU just had 4 olineman drafted in the first 4 rounds, never been done before, they replaced them with 4 more that will be drafted, their center will be All American, we had one olineman drafted in 10 years, took a grad transfer from Rice last year, one from a triple option offense this year, we need a dominating oline just like every top team needs, we ain't close.

• Like 2

Eventhough Jake Smith had a fumble yesterday, I still hope Mensa gets Jake on the field more -- Jake's one of Horns leaders in TD receptions.  Coaches should keep Epps on the sideline and consider giving more reps to Washington and Burt.

Also would be great to see more plays for Wiley to add better TE blocking for the run game.