This offense sucks and there's no excuse

BigHorn'13

12 hours ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Actually only 48 points, the same amount KU scored.

So? 48 points should be enough to win every game. And we weren’t gifted 2 turnovers inside the 30 and two short fields on failed conversions that led to 29 of those points for Kansas. 

The offense wasn’t the problem in this game. It was last week, but not this week. 

Additionally, we scored most of those points under pressure from the score. 

It's one thing to perform when it's okay to fail. Our offense knew we needed to keep scoring or we were gonna lose. The last drive was also the most clutch drive of our season.

Shades of 2017 USC (which we ultimately lost due to Sam Darnold wizardry) and the 2018 RRS.

The offense saved us in this game.

Kansas ST errors also gave us the margin we likely needed to pull it out.

Edited by Atticus

Anyone defending our offense by using our performance against Kansas is a shit for brains that was likely defending Orlando up until last week or so.  The offense is not awful, but it's not that great, particularly for this conference.  We consistently refuse to run the ball with our RBs, we panic and abandon the run completely when we get behind, and we have no imagination at all when it comes to screens and misdirection.  Our playcalling and clock management are also shitty.  
We should instead just copy OU's offense, just like OU did to us with the wishbone.  Worked out pretty well for them.  

This. Run the OU offense

12 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

399 pass yards averaging 8.9 yards per play, 239 rushing yards averaging 6 yards per rush..... yeah.... what’s the problem again? 

The numbers are great, but we had to run Sam way too much to get them.  Yes, we have a Sam that can bail us out for first downs over and over.

How many first-down GDGD -2 TFLs did we have?  4? 7? 10?  Over and over and over.  Stupid calls wasting first down.  Stupid calls on 4th down.

We don't have an OC.  Our playbook is large.

No excuses.  Dicker should have never been called on last night.

It's the O and the D.

Nuke 'em all.

• Like 1

Whatever offense OU ran all those years they were scoring 60+ points and fielding a shitty fucking defense is probably what we should run.  Was it 5 wide and just throw all day?  Running the ball seems to get us nowhere consistently so just try to go 60 because with our defense we sure as fuck need every last point.  

Just go back and watch the first offensive play from scrimmage against OU.  It's a crystalization of our offense.

Against a team like Kansas I would expect us to be in a place where if we want to throw the ball around and score quickly, we do that.  If we want to grind it out and burn the clock, we do that.  Neither seems be the case.  We look good on 10 yard passes, on QB runs, and about half our RB runs.  The rest of the time we seem to have no plan and poor execution.  The Oline looks like it did 3 years ago, not last year.  We're not roadgrading anyone.  Protection was really good against either Rice or WVU and LSU but has broken down the last few weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

the offense that stomped the ever living shit out of Alabama with a 3rd string qb for a championship needs to be scrapped for the offense that never wins shit but the Big 12. 

Our offense has serious issues and the play calling in unacceptable, but I never understood the obsession with the air raid gimmick. Am I missing something? When’s the last time an air raid won a single playoff game or even a significant bowl?

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

lol

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

what the actual fuck?

Everyone I've heard or read say he's a great team player, great runner, below average passer. If that narrative changed since our game last week then pardon my ignorance. Only time he's mentioned in the same sentence as Heisman is when announcers talk about ewok and the douchenozzle. 

Eventhough Jake Smith had a fumble yesterday, I still hope Mensa gets Jake on the field more -- Jake's one of Horns leaders in TD receptions.  Coaches should keep Epps on the sideline and consider giving more reps to Washington and Burt.
Also would be great to see more plays for Wiley to add better TE blocking for the run game.

Burt lost his job due to his inability to catch reliably. Do you think the staff doesn’t know this?

19 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Everyone I've heard or read say he's a great team player, great runner, below average passer. If that narrative changed since our game last week then pardon my ignorance. Only time he's mentioned in the same sentence as Heisman is when announcers talk about ewok and the douchenozzle. 

september 26th: https://thespun.com/big-12/oklahoma-sooners/espn-week-5-heisman-trophy-poll

october 1st: https://thespun.com/big-12/oklahoma-sooners/heisman-trophy-espn-poll-jalen-hurts-tua-tagovailoa-justin-fields

he's literally been talked about as a favorite the entire season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Welp, I was wrong and apparently the Heisman is a bigger joke than I realized. Yes, I figured he'd be in the running just like most undefeated teams' QB. But leading? No. I would've thought ESPN already gave it to burrow or tua. 

20 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Seriously though this defense is fucking infuriating, even if they’re missing 6 starters. Unreal.

So 5 starters on defense remained and we should expect no dropoff? Look, I am no Orlando apologist, but getting Sterns, Mcculloch, and Green back and having a healthy Brown, Foster, Jones, and Thompson will surely help a little. Having so many backups playing and guys playing out of position has caused players to question their responsibility as they feel like they have to cover for others' mistakes. And our corners, with Green out, frankly aren't that great, although Jamison is quickly stepping up.

No doubt we would have problems on D without the injuries. We get no pass rush with our standard 3 man rush and even when we bring an extra guy, we still are not getting consistent pressure. Meanwhile, our defensive backs are getting exposed. But, we would be seeing a lot more improvement if we had our starters back. Give those guys some time to play together and you will see a much better D later in the season.

• Like 2

Offense isn't bad it's just not great.

QB is a plus player but not elite level.

At WR Duvernay is a got damn revelation and performing elite. CJ is dinged and looks like it. Eagles has under performed. Smith is a true freshman who has shown flashes but needs to keep improving. 

RB is a QB and literally nobody else. 

Offensive line is solid but inconsistent. Needs to be better if the offense wants to be elite. 

Tight end is sort of there but mostly kind of invisible. 

Offensive line and receiver need to be better and it wouldn't hurt to have a real running back. A legit sTE would add a dimension that could take this team to a elite as well

• Like 1

20 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Problem is we’re not Oklahoma good on offense to make up for our horrendous defense and Herman is too stubborn to go hire a guy to make us better. Ed Orgeron did it and now they’re a playoff contender with a Heisman trophy candidate. In true Texas fashion we sit on our hands and only react when we absolutely have to

Could not have said it any better. The offense has been problematic all year long. Sure they can be good but they aren't great and they aren't getting better.

LSU is a great comparison. They got great. Sooners got better having Riley. We have what exactly? It can be great but it most definitely isn't

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Welp, I was wrong and apparently the Heisman is a bigger joke than I realized. Yes, I figured he'd be in the running just like most undefeated teams' QB. But leading? No. I would've thought ESPN already gave it to burrow or tua. 

Tua had his ankle operated on today.  

This thread would make sense if we won last night 23-21 but we had almost 700 yards of offense? I mean are you only happy if we score 90 and had 1,000 yards? 

cue up the “oh yea we scored 50 vs Kansas big deal we are so unstoppable”. Sarcasm response. 

all of these we suck threads should be brought into one thread because they all feed off each other. This team has cracks and inconsistent and yes injuries play a role and maybe we just aren’t that great?

also Texas plays up and down to their opponent and that’s on Herman, we hung with LSU, played around with okie lite and didn’t look great vs West Virginia and then hung around with huge defensive plays vs ou so what we did vs Kansas doesn’t mean that’s what will happen next game or other games. You can’t view the entire season in a vacuum of one bad game but panic it’s the surly way!

• Like 1

This thread would make sense if we won last night 23-21 but we had almost 700 yards of offense? I mean are you only happy if we score 90 and had 1,000 yards? 

cue up the “oh yea we scored 50 vs Kansas big deal we are so unstoppable”. Sarcasm response. 

all of these we suck threads should be brought into one thread because they all feed off each other. This team has cracks and inconsistent and yes injuries play a role and maybe we just aren’t that great?
also Texas plays up and down to their opponent and that’s on Herman, we hung with LSU, played around with okie lite and didn’t look great vs West Virginia and then hung around with huge defensive plays vs ou so what we did vs Kansas doesn’t mean that’s what will happen next game or other games. You can’t view the entire season in a vacuum of one bad game but panic it’s the surly way!

1ec1bf6b6fdba14894c4b1e2c7bd0c5a.jpg

TAKE THAT SHIT TO TEXAGS YOU FUCKING aggy!!

WE ARE HAVING A GODDAMN WALLEYED BATSHIT CRAZY MY EXWIFE PSYCHOTIC BREAK MELTDOWN TANTRUM AND THAT'S THE WAY WE LIKE IT SO FUCKING FUCK OFF YOU TOFFE-NOSED MALODORUS PERVERT!!!

strongly worded letter to follow!!

bced7e23e7fe82a6006453e5ba4bf2bc.jpg

ddc0d20ac8929ad9907a2e7c82ffd2c1.jpg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Problem is, when you need the offense(like against OU) it won’t be there. Hanging your hat on the Kansas game is how you end up in 2nd place.

True.   But if we had stayed off the Greg Davis flashback stuff and ran the ball right at them and exploited the middle of the field on pass routes, our offense would have looked better even against OU.  I mean the few times we did just that against OU we got some yards.   Trouble is with Mensa is we do stuff that works and then shoot our wad on stuff that doesn’t.   There was no excuse on the those 4th down conversions we missed we shouldn’t have lined up under center and pushed Sam forward or handed it off the Rojo.   In other words, it’s not so much a personnel problem (like we have on D) as it is a coaching issue.

9 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Lol have you been under a rock?

9 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

First, Riley would be stupid as fuck to jump to the NFL. Second, nobody would be complaining about this offense if the defense had a pulse.

I would.  This offense is good not elite.  We have shown sparks of being great but we are inconsistent.  Even against mediocre defenses.  Do we want a national championship or not?  During the 2000's we were able to score at will regardless of the defense we faced.  This offense and OC is not our standard.  I get he recruits, so make him rb coach, but we need a new OC.  As much as we like to rag on Greg Davis he was/is better than Beck.  We need the next Tom Herman or Riley as our OC.  

10 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Our offense has serious issues and the play calling in unacceptable, but I never understood the obsession with the air raid gimmick. Am I missing something? When’s the last time an air raid won a single playoff game or even a significant bowl?

We don’t run the Air Raid. 

hth

On 10/19/2019 at 10:11 PM, BigHorn'13 said:

Y'all right. Offense killed it. Delete thread ban user 

On 10/19/2019 at 10:04 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

50 points?  

We're 8th in scoring average, 2nd in the number of third downs converted, 2nd in third down conversion percentage, 16th in total offense, 14th in completion percentage etc...

Our offense has been very good in every game except the Oklahoma game.

I avoided this part of the board until the taste of that game was out of my mouth.

And I come here to find...

Bitching about the offense?

What the actual fuck?  We're good at one of the three phases of the game.  And we're really good at it.

There's a thread bitching about the offense after a 50-48 win?

Like, oh yeah, the defense did its job and the only reason we didn't cover is because our shitty offense didn't score 70?

This thread can't be real.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I would.  This offense is good not elite.  We have shown sparks of being great but we are inconsistent.  Even against mediocre defenses.  Do we want a national championship or not?  During the 2000's we were able to score at will regardless of the defense we faced.  This offense and OC is not our standard.  I get he recruits, so make him rb coach, but we need a new OC.  As much as we like to rag on Greg Davis he was/is better than Beck.  We need the next Tom Herman or Riley as our OC.  

Funny that you think it’s Beck’s offense.

8 hours ago, RollLeft said:

it helps to read before replying

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Offense is ranked #7 at Adjusted Stats.

Defense is ranked #47...

SP+ has Texas at #6 on offense, and was #5 heading into the weekend 

The offense is very good. Is Texas leaving some meat on the bone, and could it be a little better? Maybe, but the offense is carrying the team, and isn't the issue. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

SP+ has Texas at #6 on offense, and was #5 heading into the weekend 

The offense is very good. Is Texas leaving some meat on the bone, and could it be a little better? Maybe, but the offense is carrying the team, and isn't the issue. 

Ignore the facts. RollLeft has a plan to fix the offense. 

On 10/19/2019 at 11:20 PM, Assman said:

Box scores aside, I agree with the OP.  We still can't run the ball consistently, our O-line is allowing way too much pressure on Sam, and our lack of any sort of short yardage game is troubling.  I get it, 600 yards, 50 points, etc, but how many drives were kept alive by Sam running for his life?  The only reason we won this game is solely due to #11, nothing else. 

Yes, we need OUs offense so the QB never has to be relied on to pick up the first down... Wait, Hurts leads the team in rushing with 700+ yards. Wait, he actually has more rushing yards than their leading receiver has receiving yards. It seems OU is winning based on their QB too. I’m so confused...

• Like 1

You guys do remember when GDGD/MB offenses regularly put up 40-60 points on KU and similar teams and then wilted against more sentient competition?

That's kind of what we've got going on here.

And it may have similar origins in that it's some sort of satanic compromise between the HC and the OC.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2019 at 10:17 PM, El Hornarino said:

Yeah, offense didn't score 8 points on every possession, that means it sucks.

going into this game, after cutting out garbage time and using FEI's Touchdown rate stat (Touchdown rate (OTD) is the percentage of offensive drives that result in a touchdown) Texas was #7 in the country on this.