OC Wish List

GreenspointTexas

Our offense is good and looks poised to continue to improve as we develop OL and recruit better skill position players.  But if I had any wish, it would be finding someone who is obsessed with offensive spacing to marry to Herman's smashmouth spread style.  I would love to see someone emphasize spacing/defenders in conflict to Herman and couple that with Herman's route tree and offensive philosophy. 

Think of Veer and Shoot-style spacing (how many times did we have D'Onta break a single tackle and run 50+ yards for the TD in 2016), coupled with the Mills route combination, effective use of Bubble screen, middle screen, the power/slant RPO, etc.  I'm basically imagining an offense that looked like the Kendall Briles/Lane Kiffin FAU offense from 2017.  I think it would be unstoppable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The offense is fine, but you have a former DI P5 coach currently working as an analyst (two in fact), if I were gonna pick one I would take Fedora over Beaty. He's already in Belmont, and wouldn't even have to box shit up to move offices. Seth Lutrell and Frank Wilson both came from his coaching tree.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

13 hours ago, hornhorn said:

Rhett Lashlee from SMU. He seems to be doing alright with Shane.

didn't realize he was at SMU

he is very much in the Malzahn coaching tree - played for him in HS, coached under him at Ark, Auburn, Ark State, Auburn again. general book was that he was an OC in name only as I think Gus was calling almost all the plays/being extremely involved with the offense.

2 minutes ago, 2inDaPink1inDaStink said:

How is that a troll comment when the OP asked for suggestions for OC. Get bent dude.

Yeah, Briles’ son in law is someone Texas would hire. Mmmm hmmm.

I’d neg you twice if I could. Troll. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Fuck you morons....you know nothing about football obviously.

Our offense is currently ranked #16 in the country.

Get a fucking clue.

Is that because of Beck or in spite of?  And when we are still 16 or worse years from now what will your argument be?  Are you saying that you support our current OC?  If not then wtf are you saying?  

What i'm saying is Beck is not our standard and i have little confidence he will be the guy to put our offense in a position to win a NC.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Is that because of Beck or in spite of?  And when we are still 16 or worse years from now what will your argument be?  Are you saying that you support our current OC?  If not then wtf are you saying?  

What i'm saying is Beck is not our standard and i have little confidence he will be the guy to put our offense in a position to win a NC.  

This. If Beck isn't calling plays, promote one of Fedora, or Beaty to a play calling OC, just to see if there is an improvement.. The worst assistant moves to analyst. Beck stays as QB coach, and some other title that he may have earned to justify his salary.

CHIEF

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Get back to me "years from now".

This. If Beck isn't calling plays, promote one of Fedora, or Beaty to a play calling OC, just to see if there is an improvement.. The worst assistant moves to analyst. Beck stays as QB coach, and some other title that he may have earned to justify his salary.
CHIEF

Agreed. Keep Beck as QB Coach and make him Recruiting Coordinator after Washington is (hopefully) gone after the season, make room for Beaty and Fedora on the actual staff and make one of them the offensive playcaller
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jinx said:

Is it too much to ask that we find an OC who can convince Herman that sometimes it is ok to go 5 wide with 5 actual WRs instead of insisting that a TE and RB be on the field for every single play?

Using a RB as a WR is usually a plus because you can get them matched up on LBs, especially when we’ll have guys on the roster like Whittington, Bijan, and RoJo. TE is a different story this year with Brewer, but if Liebrock is ready to go next year he might be a better option than our 5th WR anyways. I’d prefer if Herman followed Shanahan’s style though and used a bunch of different formations. For instance, next year, he can start a drive in 21 personnel with Wiley and Liebrock to force a defense to run heavy personnel out there and then motion those guys and/or the RB out to 4 or 5 wide and have mismatches all over the field. Right now, our base 11 with Brewer sometimes out wide is definitely a total waste.

Herman has consistently shown he won’t change his scheme to fit his personnel, which is why Garret Gray started against Maryland in 2017. I’m not a fan of it by any means, but the silver lining is that starting next year, Herman will have the right personnel to fit his scheme for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

I’m not so worried about offense, but I do believe fatterson knocks us back a step or two . As will K-state.

Defensively, we rank #71 vs the run, and that’s our best defensive ranking. #126 allowing pass yds, #119 in total defense, #93 in scoring defense, etc. When we solve the D,  I will start worrying how to make the offense more effective.

2 hours ago, Mossyhorn said:

I’m not so worried about offense, but I do believe fatterson knocks us back a step or two . As will K-state.

Defensively, we rank #71 vs the run, and that’s our best defensive ranking. #126 allowing pass yds, #119 in total defense, #93 in scoring defense, etc. When we solve the D,  I will start worrying how to make the offense more effective.

Maybe if we had scored more points than LSU and Oklahoma we could take the time to fix the defense.  Fire Todd Orlando thread that way -->