OC Wish List

GreenspointTexas

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

I want to know how much Joe Brady really is on the table. Is he just using Texas for leverage to get more money out of LSU? Does he really want to get Sam Ehlinger for 1 year? 

But if he really is interested, get him. 

To an extent I feel like Brady could be fools gold for teams. LSU hit the perfect storm getting him and already having someone like Burrow at QB and having the WRs in place. And coach O and Brady have both been pretty vocal that our actual OC is the one running the offense and Brady is making suggestions. And I believe it due to the end of the season last year when they started opening up the offense it looked very similar to how it did all this season. It just feels like they fully committed to it for this whole season and had Brady to help fine tune it.

That being said LSU will probably outbid any team coming for him anyway and promote him to OC/ Co OC. For LSU it's a must to keep Brady, for Texas I dont think theres enough proven results for Brady to be a homerun hire like a school like Texas is capable of bringing in.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

To an extent I feel like Brady could be fools gold for teams. LSU hit the perfect storm getting him and already having someone like Burrow at QB and having the WRs in place. And coach O and Brady have both been pretty vocal that our actual OC is the one running the offense and Brady is making suggestions. And I believe it due to the end of the season last year when they started opening up the offense it looked very similar to how it did all this season. It just feels like they fully committed to it for this whole season and had Brady to help fine tune it.

That being said LSU will probably outbid any team coming for him anyway and promote him to OC/ Co OC. For LSU it's a must to keep Brady, for Texas I dont think theres enough proven results for Brady to be a homerun hire like a school like Texas is capable of bringing in.

Brady is obviously good, but is almost definitely not as good as hype is suggesting. I could see him leaving LSU on the assumption that if he stays, their production in 2020 will temper his 2021 prospects, whereas if he turns another program around, he'll still be hot shit.

I prefer Harrell either way, but I don't think the Brady talk is unrealistic, even if it's less likely.

7 hours ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

Yeah yeah yeah, but I bet he's related to Tom Brady.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Chad Morris.    Toss in Harrell if Morris isn’t available.   But Morris is available, and will be hungry, and this is exactly the chance he needs to bounce back.    Plus, he’s got deep ties to Texas HS football.  

Meh.

I don't think Morris ever really accomplished as much as a lot of folks around these parts like to think.  Most are probably just familiar with the name so assuming he must be good.

I know when he was at Clemson, he was considered the hottest OC in the country and I think he was literally the highest paid coordinator in college football at one time.  And he had a decent little run there, but Clemson didn't really start winning big until after he left.

But I guess it was easy to see why SMU grabbed him (Texas ties, hot name, etc), but again, SMU actually got better after he left.

Then his run at Arkansas speaks for itself.  Honestly kind of a head-scratcher why Arkansas even hired him in the first place.  Pretty sure he was Jerry Jones' hand-picked guy and it was a convenient narrative for everyone involved.  But overall, kind of a downward trajectory since Clemson. 

And supposedly he and Herman have bad history from their Houston/SMU days.  Not to mention, Chad's son is a high school quarterback who was headed to Arkansas to play for his dad.  He decommitted so one could assume he'd still like to go where his dad is coaching (maybe/maybe not), and Texas hasn't even offered him.

For all these reasons, I don't see this happening and I don't want this happening.  Plus he's an aggy.  Pass.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, troph said:

Honestly sounds perfect. Air raid with an emphasis on the run should mesh well with Herman's style. 

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Meh.

I don't think Morris ever really accomplished as much as a lot of folks around these parts like to think.  Most are probably just familiar with the name so assuming he must be good.

I know when he was at Clemson, he was considered the hottest OC in the country and I think he was literally the highest paid coordinator in college football at one time.  And he had a decent little run there, but Clemson didn't really start winning big until after he left.

Pujols walk off gif. Chad helped out Clemson a lot. He will forever be a legend because of his ability to identify QBs, which got Clemson Watson, and for bringing the offense out of the dark ages. He also benefitted greatly from being one of the first through the door. I want to say Clemson was one of the first few teams outside of the Big 12 to embrace the hunh spread, so a lot of the success was just blitzing teams with shit they've never seen. 

Having said all that, most were ready for him to leave by the time he left. The biggest concerns were failures to adjust in game and mind bottling decisions that still haunt years later. I don't know how much he's changed, but I remember his first season at SMU, if you look at the box scores, you will see a pattern of playing tough until half time and then getting obliterated in the second half as the other team adjusts and The Chad keeps on keeping on. He single handedly gave huge wins to FSU and Georgia in big games and reinjured Watson off an injury, but I'm not bitter about those at all. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Herman should be nervous about to the QBs on the roster being able to adequately perform under a air raid style offense if he’s only got a year to bring Texas to the top of the mountain.

Should have canned never hired his ass.

Fixed.  Looking back, I still can't believe how we all ate up the hype for that clown as the University of Fucking Texas Head Fucking Football Coach.  The guy had one good year at Houston (which included a head scratcher loss).  ONE.  And that was enough for us to trip over our dicks to hire the guy for a shit ton of money.  Between Charlie sucking, LSU swirling and apparently not too many other options available, we were so fucking desperate.

Anyway, back on topic.  I think everyone needs to prepare to be stunned and pissed once these swing for the fences coordinators don't pan out and we're settling for prospects who may or may not be lateral moves from what we had.  This feels to me like the Sterlin Gilbert situation 2.0.  Wanted a bunch of big swinging dick names, back up the brinks trucks to get them, yada yada yada...aaaaaaand settle for the confident young prospect from Tulsa (and barely pull even that off).  Rinse and repeat.

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Fixed.  Looking back, I still can't believe how we all ate up the hype for that clown as the University of Fucking Texas Head Fucking Football Coach.  The guy had one good year at Houston (which included a head scratcher loss).  ONE.  And that was enough for us to trip over our dicks to hire the guy for a shit ton of money.  Between Charlie sucking, LSU swirling and apparently not too many other options available, we were so fucking desperate.

Anyway, back on topic.  I think everyone needs to prepare to be stunned and pissed once these swing for the fences coordinators don't pan out and we're settling for prospects who may or may not be lateral moves from what we had.  This feels to me like the Sterlin Gilbert situation 2.0.  Wanted a bunch of big swinging dick names, back up the brinks trucks to get them, yada yada yada...aaaaaaand settle for the confident young prospect from Tulsa (and barely pull even that off).  Rinse and repeat.

To be fair, though: our offense was pretty freaking legit under Gilbert. I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Imagine how many yards Bijan would have in that offense. 

22 minutes ago, Xian said:

Yeah. Switching to an air raid (even one that focuses on the run) has me nervous. 

Herrell is a smart enough guy to know that he needs to tailor his offense to the players he has.  He just turned a true freshman 3-star QB into a 72% passer with a 28-9 TD-int season. 

Assuming he is interested in the Texas than at least part of that interest has to be in working with what is here right now in Ehlinger. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

To be fair, though: our offense was pretty freaking legit under Gilbert. I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Imagine how many yards Bijan would have in that offense. 

Yeah, he's so highly coveted, he got to move up to South Florida from Texas and then up to McNeese State from there.  Maybe Herman can get him back?

Seriously, look at that dude's resume.  Which of these things is not like the other?

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2003 Springtown HS (TX) (RB)
2004 Springtown HS (TX) (QB)
2005 Houston (GA)
2006–2007 Cooper HS (TX) (OC/QB)
2008–2010 Lake View HS (TX)
2011 Temple HS (TX) (OC/QB)
2012–2013 Eastern Illinois (OC/QB)
2014 Bowling Green (OC/QB)
2015 Tulsa (Co-OC/QB)
2016 Texas (OC/QB)
2017–2018 South Florida (OC/QB)
2019–present McNeese State

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, he's so highly coveted, he got to move up to South Florida from Texas and then up to McNeese State from there.  Maybe Herman can get him back?

Seriously, look at that dude's resume.  Which of these things is not like the other?

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2003 Springtown HS (TX) (RB)
2004 Springtown HS (TX) (QB)
2005 Houston (GA)
2006–2007 Cooper HS (TX) (OC/QB)
2008–2010 Lake View HS (TX)
2011 Temple HS (TX) (OC/QB)
2012–2013 Eastern Illinois (OC/QB)
2014 Bowling Green (OC/QB)
2015 Tulsa (Co-OC/QB)
2016 Texas (OC/QB)
2017–2018 South Florida (OC/QB)
2019–present McNeese State

Well, to be fair, he is the Head Coach at McNeese State, so you could argue that's a step up

10 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Brady is obviously good, but is almost definitely not as good as hype is suggesting. I could see him leaving LSU on the assumption that if he stays, their production in 2020 will temper his 2021 prospects, whereas if he turns another program around, he'll still be hot shit.

I prefer Harrell either way, but I don't think the Brady talk is unrealistic, even if it's less likely.

What on his resume makes you think Brady is “obviously good”? He was a GA at Penn State, 1-2 years with Saints and 1 season at LSU? Now he is ready to be our OC?

Haven’t we tried this shit show before?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gaffords said:

When/if the day comes Leach gets canned/retires, we need to be camped outside the AD's office waiting with a lifetime contract that has Leach hanging around our QBs sprinkling his Pirate Dust all over them... 

HC/OC University.

Fuck no.

2 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Herman should be nervous about to the QBs on the roster being able to adequately perform under a air raid style offense if he’s only got a year to bring Texas to the top of the mountain.

Should have canned his ass.

You keep harping on this. There’s no reason why Sam can’t have a huge year in the air raid. Simplifying his reads and giving him easier passes will lead to a lot of improvement. Just look at how much easier SMU’s offense was to run compared to UT’s. Sam has made big strides as a passer the last two years and he’s cleaned up his mechanics a ton. He would thrive in Harrell’s offense, and look significantly better than he did this year.

34 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Herrell is a smart enough guy to know that he needs to tailor his offense to the players he has.  He just turned a true freshman 3-star QB into a 72% passer with a 28-9 TD-int season. 

Assuming he is interested in the Texas than at least part of that interest has to be in working with what is here right now in Ehlinger. 

Yep. There’s no reason why Harrell couldn’t kill it with a Senior Sam Ehlinger next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You keep harping on this. There’s no reason why Sam can’t have a huge year in the air raid. Simplifying his reads and giving him easier passes will lead to a lot of improvement. Just look at how much easier SMU’s offense was to run compared to UT’s. Sam has made big strides as a passer the last two years and he’s cleaned up his mechanics a ton. He would thrive in Harrell’s offense, and look significantly better than he did this year.

I think I’ve mentioned it twice. He’s surprised me at times but we all know his current limitations.

2 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Should have canned his ass.

Yep.  If the shit hits the fan at work, all eyes are on me and not my assistants. Herman should’ve fired himself.

43 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Fuck no.

There are several former Leach qb's doing doing good for themselves as OCs/ HC.  And Qbs coached by him tend to put up good numbers and make sound decisions. All are leftovers from the big programs...   His WRs get open and actually catch...   

But I'm looking more for a stable of capable OCs so when we lose one moving up somewhere else, we just plug another one in and keep rolling.

Oh and I do agree that Sam could do good things in an Air Raid type offense.  It does open up some running seams. Especially for a QB who doesn't fall down just because a lineman bumped into him.  

Edited by Gaffords

36 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Agree. I think Harrell is the guy.

You kind of have to make this move.

1.) USC is in flux. Now is the time to bite.

2.) Brady isn’t going to leave when LSU has playoffs / shot at Naty

2a.) LSU will match whatever we offer.

3.) It makes sense with Texas High School Football to have an Air RAID offense 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

You kind of have to make this move.

1.) USC is in flux hiring Urban who will probably want to bring his own guy in, so Harrell will likely be available very soon. Now is the time to bite.

2.) Brady isn’t going to leave when LSU has playoffs / shot at Naty

2a.) LSU will match whatever we offer.

2b.) Brady has never been an OC and has very little experience, so he's about as big a gamble as had we just kept Beck.

3.) It makes sense with Texas High School Football to have an Air RAID offense 

Pretty spot on...I tweaked it a little little.

• Haha 1