Next Texas Coach

Girdwood

I think Tom should remain head coach, promote Fedora to OC, and throw the bank at Chizik for a DC. Keep what can be agreed upon as assistants. If the HC position is what Tom says it is, don't think he will walk. But, I'm drunk, so this and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee. The secondary that won it all in 2006 wasn't as highly ranked as what has been recruited, and we had two Thorpe winners and four 1-2 round picks.

CHIEF

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brandywine said:

When we hired Herman I thought we were getting a Lincoln type of guy. I was wrong. 

There is absolutely no comparison between the program Riley inherited and the one Herman inherited. Riley may be a better coach, but the results thus far are not necessarily proof of that. 

• Like 3

If Orlando isn't smart enough to see that what we're currently doing isn't working then I agree he needs to be replaced. I'm not in favor of a panicked in-season change unless Herman and Orlando have a knock down drag out argument over what to do and can't agree. Otherwise, let's see if Orlando can make some adjustments to at least make us half way decent the rest of the season. And then evaluate at the end of the season.

I don't know if it's scheme, or injuries, or whatever. But it needs fixing. Fast. Like now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, markstanco said:

His defense only had to play for 15 minutes against oklahoma last year. Not the best example.

Eh, that's a good point, Army had the option clicking. Still though, it took overtime for Oklahoma to get 28 points and 355 yards of offense. 

I guess it's an empty argument, because no way Texas is hiring Bateman if Orlando is let go, but I think he's going to end up being a really solid coach. 

I get the impression Riley is basically the OC, and Grinch is the DC.  Gundy is a recruiter.  Bedenbaugh is an OL coach.   Grinch does what he does without interference until it goes bad,  or it's something huge. RIley's running the overall show, but he is focused on the offense and is effectively just a "CEO" (to use a term from a decade ago) when it comes to defense.

I feel like that's basically the setup we basically have here.  Herman is OC, and is pretty good at it from the body of work so far.  Beck is apparently not, but is supposedly an ace recruiter.  Orlando is the DC and generally given a wide berth.  So maybe I'm coming around to we just have to have the right guy at DC and we don't.  

This view makes me happier, so I'm probably going with it.

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I get the impression Riley is basically the OC, and Grinch is the DC.  Gundy is a recruiter.  Bedenbaugh is an OL coach.   Grinch does what he does without interference until it goes bad,  or it's something huge. RIley's running the overall show, but he is focused on the offense and is effectively just a "CEO" (to use a term from a decade ago) when it comes to defense.

I feel like that's basically the setup we basically have here.  Herman is OC, and is pretty good at it from the body of work so far.  Beck is apparently not, but is supposedly an ace recruiter.  Orlando is the DC and generally given a wide berth.  So maybe I'm coming around to we just have to have the right guy at DC and we don't.  

This view makes me happier, so I'm probably going with it.

the thing about orlando's scheme is that he runs it because herman lets him. herman needs to tell him to find something that works and stop running this bullshit that doesn't.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:11 PM, ztejas said:

These threads are such cancer. Tom is our guy. He needs a better staff around him and he for sure needs a deeper, more experienced roster. But looking at the bigger picture:

• Immediate turn around year 1 in winning a bowl game and going above .500
  • 10 wins in year 2 including a NY6 bowl win (an ass whipping against Georgia) and a win against OU in the Cotton Bowl
  • 5-2 right now in year 3 - with our 2 losses against 2 of the best 5 teams in college football

I get it. He plays games tight that shouldn't be tight. But fuck, he actually wins, and compared to late Mack and Charlie that is a breath of fresh air. 2020 is our year. It always was our year. 2018 and 2019 are building years. We're young and we're banged up this year. Last year we still had Chuckles stink on the roster. Next year if we aren't blowing out shitty teams and finishing at worst 11-1 then maybe we start looking.

But as of now, Tom is doing what he should be. It's amazing how quickly we get spoiled after being such dogshit for so many years. Just win and move on. 10-2 is on the table. B12 title is on the table. Another Sugar Bowl is on the table. 

Hook 'em Horns and let's move on to next week, try and get healthy and fuck up TCU's bitch ass. 

The difference between Charlie Strong and Tom Herman is Sam Ehlinger

Edit: plus clock management and understanding when to accept penalties.

Edited by TexasEd

On 10/22/2019 at 12:23 AM, Tex Pete said:

There is absolutely no comparison between the program Riley inherited and the one Herman inherited. Riley may be a better coach, but the results thus far are not necessarily proof of that. 

True. But to be fair, Riley also helped rejuvenate that program as OC

On 10/22/2019 at 4:13 AM, El Squared said:

What else needs to be said? Do you wait until the team goes 5-7 or 6-6 ? 

How much more evidence do you need?

does the evidence show that this team is headed for 5-7 or 6-6?

it's clearly superior to that, and to macks rocky final 8-5 years

• Like 1

Riley has as many B12 titles at OU as Texas has since 2005. Assuming they win this year, which unfortunately isn't a stretch given what we saw in Dallas, he will have as many B12 titles in three years as Texas does since the inception of the conference. He will have won a championship in every single year he's coached there. That's the definition of championship caliber. Texas fans trying to argue otherwise are really getting in touch with their aggy side.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

big12 championships don't mean shit when you choke in the big dance. and OU chokes. every fucking time. not championship caliber.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TexasEd said:

The difference between Charlie Strong and Tom Herman is Sam Ehlinger

Edit: plus clock management and understanding when to accept penalties.

I was gonna tell you what a fucking, shit-stupid, moronic, asshole, dumb fuck you would have to be for posting utter drivel such as that, but it appears you've already been told that. I expect the telling will be continued. Don't do that again.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 6:41 PM, LTtxfan said:

Depends on results of next 5 games.  But regardless of the outcome, Orlando still might need to go...   Think about how much Baylor has improved over the last 2yrs and developed their defense vs Orlando and Texas...  THIS SUCKS!!!

Who has Baylor played this year?  Let''s see their d against ou before we crown em.

Who has Baylor played this year?  Let''s see their d against ou before we crown em.

The Baylor defense is good. They've consistently handled their business against lesser competition and played well against Iowa State and Oklahoma State. Their corner Houston is really good but outside of that I don't think they have the athletes in the back seven to really contain Texas's receivers without giving Texas opportunities in the run game.

What is worrisome about them from a Texas perspective is their potential for explosive plays on offense. It's easy to see Hasty, Mims, etc knifing through this defense. Brewer can run when he needs to and will not have an issue hitting the guys Texas leaves open. On the one hand, Texas had really dominated Baylor defensively under Orlando, even with far less offensive help than they'll have this year. On the other, well, everyone knows the state of the defense right now.

Baylor doesn't have me penciling in a L like many on here are, but they've done enough to prove they're capable of beating Texas this year. I do think Texas ultimately wins though.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I was gonna tell you what a fucking, shit-stupid, moronic, asshole, dumb fuck you would have to be for posting utter drivel such as that, but it appears you've already been told that. I expect the telling will be continued. Don't do that again.

Tom Herman would have lost to Kansas without Ehlinger.  

On 10/21/2019 at 8:56 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Lulz.  The notion of defending a Herman playcall with a Garrett playcall  . . . . 

and every other coach playcall, doesn't matter, if we kick the field goal and leave 3 seconds left and they even come close to scoring you shitheads would be crying about leaving 3 seconds left.

OK, I'm sure I'll get reamed for this one.......but I'm beginning to wonder if Herman and/or Orlando has lost this team.....I'M NOT SAYING HE HAS.....but I am starting to wonder.

1)  Terrible tackling....these kids all knew how to tackle coming out of HS....but they seem to get worse after they get to the 40 Acres....why is that?  Either the position coaches are teaching wrong technique....or the kids just don't give a shit.  I know we've had a terrible run of bad luck in the secondary, but come on......even the backups should at least tackle properly.  

2)  Dropping balls and lots of penalties.......lack of concentration.  Not focused on the game.  

3)  Getting worse as the season goes along.......I don't think anyone would argue that we look worse now than we did at the start of the season, particularly on defense.  Injuries play a part of that, yes, but we looked like The Walking Dead in the BlowU game (esp. the first half), and didn't look any better playing KU.....like the players are just going thru the motions......

4)  A larger than usual number of decommits lately......a few were "soft" commits, but it seems to be snowballing.....had another one today.  I knew two commits from the Mack III years, one from Strong years, and one from Hermans first year......the commits talk to the current players more than you'd think.....what are they hearing?  

As I said, I don't know this is happening, have no proof this is happening, no "inside source".......but I'm starting to wonder and hope that is not the case.

Let the flaming begin......

On 10/21/2019 at 4:10 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Tellin ya, I really like this Jay Bateman guy...he knows how to scheme. 

Actually, his whole deal is that he kinda doesn't scheme. He just reps all his players to be able to do pretty much anything at any given moment, and so he can "wing it" without really winging it. It's the same theory behind a really tight jazz combo -- you've got a repertoire of licks, so when you do call and response, and you're all on the same page, it sounds really tight.

The problem is that it does take a heck of a lot of discipline, and there are limits to what you can do with personnel who are that flexible -- they should be able to do everything "pretty well" but that limits how many of them will do anything "very well".

Edit:  I should also point out, I really like him too. It's my preferred approach to pretty much everything, not just defending against a modern football offense.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
Clarity, confession, and the hell of it.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Actually, his whole deal is that he kinda doesn't scheme. He just reps all his players to be able to do pretty much anything at any given moment, and so he can "wing it" without really winging it. It's the same theory behind a really tight jazz combo -- you've got a repertoire of licks, so when you do call and response, and you're all on the same page, it sounds really tight.

The problem is that it does take a heck of a lot of discipline, and there are limits to what you can do with personnel who are that flexible -- they should be able to do everything "pretty well" but that limits how many of them will do anything "very well".

Edit:  I should also point out, I really like him too. It's my preferred approach to pretty much everything, not just defending against a modern football offense.

That's interesting, I'm gonna watch him closer now. Good shit, thanks. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 5:28 AM, gmr548 said:

Riley has as many B12 titles at OU as Texas has since 2005. Assuming they win this year, which unfortunately isn't a stretch given what we saw in Dallas, he will have as many B12 titles in three years as Texas does since the inception of the conference. He will have won a championship in every single year he's coached there. That's the definition of championship caliber. Texas fans trying to argue otherwise are really getting in touch with their aggy side.

Heh

On 10/25/2019 at 9:55 AM, Let 'Em Hang said:

OK, I'm sure I'll get reamed for this one.......but I'm beginning to wonder if Herman and/or Orlando has lost this team.....I'M NOT SAYING HE HAS.....but I am starting to wonder.

1)  Terrible tackling....these kids all knew how to tackle coming out of HS....but they seem to get worse after they get to the 40 Acres....why is that?  Either the position coaches are teaching wrong technique....or the kids just don't give a shit.  I know we've had a terrible run of bad luck in the secondary, but come on......even the backups should at least tackle properly.  

2)  Dropping balls and lots of penalties.......lack of concentration.  Not focused on the game.  

3)  Getting worse as the season goes along.......I don't think anyone would argue that we look worse now than we did at the start of the season, particularly on defense.  Injuries play a part of that, yes, but we looked like The Walking Dead in the BlowU game (esp. the first half), and didn't look any better playing KU.....like the players are just going thru the motions......

4)  A larger than usual number of decommits lately......a few were "soft" commits, but it seems to be snowballing.....had another one today.  I knew two commits from the Mack III years, one from Strong years, and one from Hermans first year......the commits talk to the current players more than you'd think.....what are they hearing?  

As I said, I don't know this is happening, have no proof this is happening, no "inside source".......but I'm starting to wonder and hope that is not the case.

Let the flaming begin......

Well, I may have gotten my question answered today........

When you need to fire your entire assistant coaching staff in a season, it's the head coach who needs to go.  

Had he used UTs buying power to assemble a good staff and/or started cutting 1-2 dead weight coaches and upgrading year over year, he would not be in this position.  

Theres around 30 coaches I can think of who I would rather have at this point.

• Like 2

When you need to fire your entire assistant coaching staff in a season, it's the head coach who needs to go.  
Had he used UTs buying power to assemble a good staff and/or started cutting 1-2 dead weight coaches and upgrading year over year, he would not be in this position.  
Theres around 30 coaches I can think of who I would rather have at this point.

This is what bothers me. All but Hand may need to go. That’s not good.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This is what bothers me. All but Hand may need to go. That’s not good.

If he starts now firing 1-2 coaches and UPGRADING (big ifs) it will take 4-5 years to assemble a good staff.  He won't last that long going that route.

if he cleans house of all his dead weight all at the end of the season, recruiting will absolutely tank and transfer portal will have a line like Franklins.   He won't last long going that route.  

Smart move would be to get someone capable of actually coaching who can do something with the talent Mensa has managed to collect.  But when's the last time we did something smart?  Sure as fuck wasn't when we extended Mensa out to 2023.  If not for that extension this could have turned into a great hire as our Mensa Blake.

1.  The Pirate.  The clear and present answer.  We've been wasting time for 10 years.  But we know it won't happen despite the 100% certainty that WWRTS.

2. Sean McVey.  Back up the truck.  Please Sean, swim in our warbucks.

3. Since the others are fetch, David Shaw.  2 PAC titles, 3 other division titles, 2 Rose Bowl wins.