Next Texas Coach

Girdwood

39 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

1.  The Pirate.  The clear and present answer.  We've been wasting time for 10 years.  But we know it won't happen despite the 100% certainty that WWRTS.

2. Sean McVey.  Back up the truck.  Please Sean, swim in our warbucks.

3. Since the others are fetch, David Shaw.  2 PAC titles, 3 other division titles, 2 Rose Bowl wins.

Shaw has been mediocre once the OL coach left for Rice.

6 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

20 minute timeout from posting

Okay fine.  Hire Les Miles, and make sure he runs a 21st century offense.

Great motivator, national championship winner, hell of a recruiter.

Might have some clock snafus but he'd be fucking great at Texas.

He'd still be at LSU if he'd done what Orgeron did.

I've heard James Franklin is upset because he doesn't have the full support of Penn State boosters and likely never will. I'm not sure if those rumors are credible, but he'd definitely be an upgrade over Herman. I'm not sure if he's good enough to ever win a national championship, but the guy knows how to build a quality program.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Dave Aranda and get him to bring Joe Brady.

Hire a guy with no head coaching experience at the University of Texas?

I should add, a coordinator who is spoon fed NFL talent at every position by that recruiting machine in Louisiana.

Edited by Augustus

10 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I've heard James Franklin is upset because he doesn't have the full support of Penn State boosters and likely never will. I'm not sure if those rumors are credible, but he'd definitely be an upgrade over Herman. I'm not sure if he's good enough to ever win a national championship, but the guy knows how to build a quality program.

Franklin was mentioned on this board a few times and was laughed off as just another Strong. 

6 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Hire a guy with no head coaching experience at the University of Texas?

I should add, a coordinator who is spoon fed NFL talent at every position by that recruiting machine in Louisiana.

Worked for OU. Twice.

You saying he wouldn't be spoon fed NFL talent at Texas?

Edited by HtownHorn

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Franklin covered up rape at Vanderbilt. He's on the same level as Briles.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he was laughed off because he has a bit of stink on him from Vandy.  nobody a pedo cared of course.

Yes, we all know that.  I’m fully aware. 

I’m also fully aware that no one is talking about that today and what they are talking about is Penn St winning big games over the last few years and being ranked where they are. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I’m also fully aware that no one is talking about that today and what they are talking about is Penn St winning big games over the last few years and being ranked where they are. 

fair enough. you said he was laughed off as another strong.  he wasn't considered because of said stink.

I’d take Sonny Dykes right now. He doesn’t have this ass clowns attitude problem either.

People who are this arrogant and can’t support it with shit they do are the worst. Unfortunately CTH is not a likable person and I’m sure it bleeds into the locker room.

You fucking people are the worst combination of stupid and delusional, Franklin lost 12 games his first 2 years at Penn State, you would have all fucking called for his head midway thru year 2 but now somehow hes the right coach.

I will never understand this sites fascination with Mike Leach a coach who's biggest accomplishment in 18 years of coaching is getting blown out by Ole Miss in the Cotton bowl.

Sonny Dykes was 19-30 at Cal, but at least he doesn't seem arrogant I mean I've never really done any research on him but that sounds like a good narrative.

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

You fucking people are the worst combination of stupid and delusional, Franklin lost 12 games his first 2 years at Penn State, you would have all fucking called for his head midway thru year 2 but now somehow hes the right coach.

I will never understand this sites fascination with Mike Leach a coach who's biggest accomplishment in 18 years of coaching is getting blown out by Ole Miss in the Cotton bowl.

Sonny Dykes was 19-30 at Cal, but at least he doesn't seem arrogant I mean I've never really done any research on him but that sounds like a good narrative.

Leach is perfect for backwater programs in Lubbock and Pullman. He'd be a terrible fit at a big-time school, including at UT.

• Like 1

Klieman makes 2.8M at KSU

He has won 7 NCs in 8 years (1 as DBs, 2 as DC, 4 as HC). 

They are trending up and will probably end up 9-3 with a good shot at 10-2.  

i would imagine he would do quite well here with the talent at hand, the defense sure as fuck wouldn't be the worst in P5.  

8 hours ago, Treefidy said:

If he starts now firing 1-2 coaches and UPGRADING (big ifs) it will take 4-5 years to assemble a good staff.  He won't last that long going that route.

if he cleans house of all his dead weight all at the end of the season, recruiting will absolutely tank and transfer portal will have a line like Franklins.   He won't last long going that route.  

Smart move would be to get someone capable of actually coaching who can do something with the talent Mensa has managed to collect.  But when's the last time we did something smart?  Sure as fuck wasn't when we extended Mensa out to 2023.  If not for that extension this could have turned into a great hire as our Mensa Blake.

With the exception of Dabo Swinney, this is the general rule for success in college football.  Not sure many top programs in today's landscape are willing to let a multi-year career play out before actually winning anything of real substance.  Maybe Texas would?  We certainly did with Mack.

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

Hiring a coordinator has worked out with ousux(twice now), Ohio state

Ohio State promoted a coordinator who'd already been interim HC for three games. OU promoted a coordinator. Those moves were made with continuity in mind.

Who do you want to promote from our current staff, to encourage program continuity? 

Ohio State promoted a coordinator who'd already been interim HC for three games. OU promoted a coordinator. Those moves were made with continuity in mind.
Who do you want to promote from our current staff, to encourage program continuity? 

Bob stoops was a coordinator. I’m saying our fans need to quit being fucking retarded about “needs HC experience” shit. Go find the best fucking guy out there whether it be a coordinator or not. Don’t be fixated on HC experience.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Bob stoops was a coordinator. I’m saying our fans need to quit being fucking retarded about “needs HC experience” shit. Go find the best fucking guy out there whether it be a coordinator or not. Don’t be fixated on HC experience.

Stoops was a coordinator, but that hire was 20 years ago. I'm not sure I agree a coordinator can hack becoming a head coach for the first time at this school. It's such a CEO role. I would have expected Herman to be better at it, having coached under Mack Brown and Urban Meyer, but he doesn't seem to understand it.

I'm not opposed to hiring coordinators as head coaches per se, I just don't think our program is a good fit for it. But at this point, I'm willing to try anything. Especially cleaning house.

Stoops was a coordinator, but that hire was 20 years ago. I'm not sure I agree a coordinator can hack becoming a head coach for the first time at this school. It's such a CEO role. I would have expected Herman to be better at it, having coached under Mack Brown and Urban Meyer, but he doesn't seem to understand it.
I'm not opposed to hiring coordinators as head coaches per se, I just don't think our program is a good fit for it. But at this point, I'm willing to try anything. Especially cleaning house.

Your attitude and excuses are exactly why we’re in the situation we’ve been in.
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

This is absolutely correct.  And to take it a step further, at a place like Texas, I'm starting to think it's not just someone with head coaching experience, but someone with several years at a P5 school.  Making that jump from a couple good years as head coach at a group of five school to being in charge of one of the top 10 blue blood behemoth programs in the country is a leap most people won't excel at.  In fact, I'm struggling to think of single exception to that rule.  At least in recent history.

40 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Your attitude and excuses are exactly why we’re in the situation we’ve been in.

There's not a single excuse in his post.

Now, you may disagree with his position on coordinators, and that's fine.  But I'm getting tired of internet badasses who don't "enable" or "excuse" coaches. JFC, get a grip.

7 hours ago, Pancho said:

Penn State's 17-12 win at Iowa this year was Franklin's first career road victory over a ranked opponent. 

• Like 1

Matt Rhule unfortunately his buyout is too big. would love PJ Fleck, Steve Ensminger might be as good as Riley.  DInkwitz has App St at #21.

Reality is we're fucked. they of course prematurely extended herman to 2023 so the best we can hope for is a gut and new offensive and defensive staffs

Just now, Pancho said:

I don’t know.  You can ask those posters who compared him to Strong. I wasn’t one of those posters.

Oh, maybe it's because he's bald?

Or, the comparison was made because they both had a tiny bit of success at a lower-tier P5 school, which didn't translate to being ready for a place like Texas for Strong so people were skeptical of making the same mistake twice?

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Oh, maybe it's because he's bald?

Or, the comparison was made because they both had a tiny bit of success at a lower-tier P5 school, which didn't translate to being ready for a place like Texas for Strong so people were skeptical of making the same mistake twice?

You're trying really hard to bait. 

Me telling you that some posters on this board compared him to Strong is just that--and informative statement.  You'd have to ask those posters as to why they compared him to Strong. Once again, I wasn't one of those posters.  And I don't believe I was even advocating for Franklin myself, so I'm not sure what you're trying to do.  

• Like 1

Just now, Pancho said:

You're trying really hard to bait. 

Me telling you that some posters on this board compared him to Strong is just that--and informative statement.  You'd have to ask those posters as to why they compared him to Strong. Once again, I wasn't one of those posters.  And I don't believe I was even advocating for Franklin myself, so I'm not sure what you're trying to do.  

I'm explaining to you why people would have compared Franklin to Strong.  What are you trying to do?

Legit HC wish list, in no particular order:

(qualifiers of no-coordinator, no G5)

1) Fleck

2) Peterson (not coming here)

3) Stoops (done with college, not coming here lol)

4) Briles (lmao no way)

5) Meyer (see Stoops)

6) Cristobal?

7) Klieman (need a bigger sample size)

😎 Rhule (lmao he makes 10 million a year, hes not leaving Baylor)

9) Patterson (see Rhule)

10) Dykes? 

Did i sum it up pretty well?

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

I don’t know.  You can ask those posters who compared him to Strong. I wasn’t one of those posters.

I was one of I think 2 posters advocating for Franklin over Strong. And yes that opinion was widely mocked. But the comparison was in regards to lack of a resume beating quality teams. Neither coach had much of any history beating good opponents.