Next Texas Coach

Girdwood

Legit HC wish list, in no particular order:
(qualifiers of no-coordinator, no G5)

1) Fleck
2) Peterson (not coming here)
3) Stoops (done with college, not coming here lol)
4) Briles (lmao no way)
5) Meyer (see Stoops)
6) Cristobal?
7) Klieman (need a bigger sample size)
Rhule (lmao he makes 10 million a year, hes not leaving Baylor)
9) Patterson (see Rhule)
10) Dykes? 

Did i sum it up pretty well?
You left out the real guy that should be your corch, Mike Leach.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:
1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

1) Fleck
4) Briles (lmao no way)
5) Meyer (see Stoops)
6) Cristobal?
emoji41.png Rhule (lmao he makes 10 million a year, hes not leaving Baylor)
9) Patterson (see Rhule)
10) Dykes? 

Read more  

You left out the real guy that should be your corch, Mike Leach.

Not a chance in hell of him coming here. Need someone to glad hand the boosters, he aint it

9 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Was there a rape cover-up at Vandy or just a rape? My dad lives in Nashville and kinda follows the Vandy program and as I recall it was all handled as best it could be, given that the actual crime itself was heinous.

(And of course there was video evidence, so it was impossible to wriggle out of.)

it wasn't like Baylor but there were some questions about what Franklin knew and how he handled it.  and I believe it was an event not systemic.

Leach ? Do these guys not remember his defenses at Tech were the laughing stock of of the Big 12 ?  Holy shit, what short memories people have.  His political correctness would fit in great with the “blue bloods”.  About like a mounted javelina with a cigar and sunshades in the Highland Park country club 

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

1) Fleck

4) Briles (lmao no way)

5) Meyer (see Stoops)

6) Cristobal?

😎 Rhule (lmao he makes 10 million a year, hes not leaving Baylor)

9) Patterson (see Rhule)

10) Dykes? 

We've really gone down hill on Surly. On the old site our coaching wishlist was Belichick and Saban

Leach ? Do these guys not remember his defenses at Tech were the laughing stock of of the Big 12 ?  Holy shit, what short memories people have.  His political correctness would fit in great with the “blue bloods”.  About like a mounted javelina with a cigar and sunshades in the Highland Park country club 

After reading about Leach in the QB meetings at WSU, forget him. He wastes way too much time.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

He didn't try to play defense in lubbock.  He would have an open checkbook.  yo, Venables.  $5m / 5 years.  100% buyout all monies paid if you want to leave and we want you stay.

Herman’s demeanor strikes me as someone who is almost apologetic to himself for being just a football coach in the context of his self perceived “potential”.

His overthinking and reliance on mental gymnastics instead of just demanding execution of (from the team, coaches & himself) the menial, repetitive things that are required to win football games consistently  shows me that he’s trying to prove himself as the smartest guy in the room at the expense of just playing sound football. 

When his plan doesn’t go as schemed he won’t adjust and instead doubles down because if he conceived it, it must be proven right. 

Say what you will about the marble mouth of Red Stick, but he’s a football coach and stays in trenches with his players and coaches; demanding repetitive execution. 

Saban’s focus on detailed execution instead of scheme and style is another juxtaposition that comes to mind.  

Football at its core requires execution and attention to detail more so than schematic brilliance and I believe Herman wished it were the opposite. 

A schematic advantage goes to shit when you simply get punched in the mouth by an opposing disciplined team and coaching staff....and players lose faith in what they are taught are their keys to winning if it’s all style and no substance....they have no foundational structure on which to fall back. 

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Herman’s demeanor strikes me as someone who is almost apologetic to himself for being just a football coach in the context of his self perceived “potential”.

His overthinking and reliance on mental gymnastics instead of just demanding execution of (from the team, coaches & himself) the menial, repetitive things that are required to win football games consistently  shows me that he’s trying to prove himself as the smartest guy in the room at the expense of just playing sound football. 

When his plan doesn’t go as schemed he won’t adjust and instead doubles down because if he conceived it, it must be proven right. 

Say what you will about the marble mouth of Red Stick, but he’s a football coach and stays in trenches with his players and coaches; demanding repetitive execution. 

Saban’s focus on detailed execution instead of scheme and style is another juxtaposition that comes to mind.  

Football at its core requires execution and attention to detail more so than schematic brilliance and I believe Herman wished it were the opposite. 

A schematic advantage goes to shit when you simply get punched in the mouth by an opposing disciplined team and coaching staff....and players lose faith in what they are taught are their keys to winning if it’s all style and no substance....they have no foundational structure on which to fall back. 

What is this blocking and tackling you speak of? I haven't seen much of it around these parts.

On 10/27/2019 at 8:31 AM, alphahorn said:

Matt Rhule unfortunately his buyout is too big. would love PJ Fleck, Steve Ensminger might be as good as Riley.  DInkwitz has App St at #21.

Reality is we're fucked. they of course prematurely extended herman to 2023 so the best we can hope for is a gut and new offensive and defensive staffs

Ensminger? Isn't he the one who oversaw LSU's archaic (and most shitty) offense until Joe Brady was brought in to revolutionize what they're doing.

On 10/27/2019 at 9:05 AM, Landomatic said:

Oh, maybe it's because he's bald?

Or, the comparison was made because they both had a tiny bit of success at a lower-tier P5 school, which didn't translate to being ready for a place like Texas for Strong so people were skeptical of making the same mistake twice?

Strong and Franklin were candidates when we hired Strong. They were further down the list after Saban, Briles (ick) and Patterson. Strong seemed a safer hire with less potential skeletons (i.e. rape and bizarre comments about only hiring assistants who have hot wives because they can "close").

On 10/27/2019 at 10:19 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

1) Fleck

4) Briles (lmao no way)

5) Meyer (see Stoops)

6) Cristobal?

😎 Rhule (lmao he makes 10 million a year, hes not leaving Baylor)

9) Patterson (see Rhule)

10) Dykes? 

Rhule doesn't make $10M/year. Swinney is the new highest-paid corch in CFB and he's at $9.8M or so. Saban is second.

On 10/27/2019 at 10:24 AM, markstanco said:

Briles cant win district in 3a

Not without cheating he can't.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:06 AM, dcar00 said:

I don't remember anyone comparing Franklin to Strong to be honest.  maybe it happened but I've seen no proof

See above.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:13 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I was one of I think 2 posters advocating for Franklin over Strong. And yes that opinion was widely mocked. But the comparison was in regards to lack of a resume beating quality teams. Neither coach had much of any history beating good opponents.

I think it's been proven Franklin would've been a better hire than Strong based on the results but there were some odd data-points on Franklin's resume at the time (rape, potential cover-up, etc)

23 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

He didn't try to play defense in lubbock.  He would have an open checkbook.  yo, Venables.  $5m / 5 years.  100% buyout all monies paid if you want to leave and we want you stay.

You know Venables makes close to $2M/year with Clemson already, right?

• Like 1

I know losing to tcu is a big pile of stanky ass shit but I still say before resetting on another coach after 3 seasons it's best to try everything with Herman first. Change both coordinators after the season. Change the assistants. Go out and find guys who are competent. There's talent here it just needs better coaching on a daily basis.

There's zero reason Ehlinger should have regressed after last season. The pass defense being shit is more understandable but still should never be this bad. Herman needs new faces that will bring new ideas and better team building/relationships. Let's try that first before abandoning ship. 

4 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

There's zero reason Ehlinger should have regressed after last season.

Not true. The reason is, he practices against total suckage on D - as a result of that, when he faces competent defensive play, he has no idea how to attack it. 

44 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Do you trust Herman to hire the right new people?

he would have to completely break tendency (which is an admission that he was wrong) AND overcome a very challenging hiring environment to attract top talent (being on a hot seat and needing them to come in and save his job doesn't scream 'smart career move').

so...no.

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

If I were CDC I'd try to get buy in from the Big Cigars to put the full court press on Chris Klieman.  

That dude is a winner.  

Man, I watched that KSU/ou game and how that defense played and was coached was stunning compared to what I saw in Dallas.

I mean, they knew what they were doing.

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

Man, I watched that KSU/ou game and how that defense played and was coached was stunning compared to what I saw in Dallas.

I mean, they knew what they were doing.

I watched his teams in the past few DII playoffs and he won me over.  His players would run through a brick wall for him...our coach gets knocked back trying to break particle board with a sledgehammer.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 7:07 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

Stoops was a coordinator, but that hire was 20 years ago. I'm not sure I agree a coordinator can hack becoming a head coach for the first time at this school. It's such a CEO role. I would have expected Herman to be better at it, having coached under Mack Brown and Urban Meyer, but he doesn't seem to understand it.

I'm not opposed to hiring coordinators as head coaches per se, I just don't think our program is a good fit for it. But at this point, I'm willing to try anything. Especially cleaning house.

The CEO is Del Conte. Just going hire the best fucking coach you can, HC experience while important should not be a fucking disqualifier.

Still on the Aranda/Brady train.

Edited by HtownHorn