2019 World Series: Houston Astros vs. Washington Nationals

elfenix

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Catching DC United games there recently was a weird experience. Totally lawless, like thunder dome. I saw a guy selling beer drinking his beer and people ripping seats out the stadium the last time I was there

DC United fans are pretty wild--wish I was there at the end.  Enjoyed seeing DC United games there but really like Audi field.  

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Series is far from over. But that’s gotta be a wake up call for the Astros & their fans. They all thought this WS would be a cakewalk and they just lost with the best pitcher in the world on the mound.

Did we really. Nats has a 38% chance or so to win tonight by 538. Random shit happened in innings three and four. And by random I mean Cole through some bad pitches that were hit very well. 

Even with the Astros poor hitting with RISP the bullpen of the Nats did not look great. At some point this bad hitting has to stop and hits like Brantley’s to left field fall for once with a man on second that should have been on third. 

or maybe not. It’s baseball after all. 

also the wake up call should have been the Rays and then the Yankees. Apparently we are still hitting snooze. 

Edited by Telegraph_it

All things considered that was an ambivalent loss for the Astros

Terrible to lose game one behind the most dominant starter in the league but ppppplenty to build on.

As a guy that has Stras on my NL only keeper league I have been bemused at/with his post season dominance.

If he continues it tomorrow I will be decidedly searching for different feeling

Corbin was an odd but I guess helpful choice.

At some point I hope to see F Rodney in a leverage spot.

Astros are still the favorite in my mind but decidedly less than the original line.

Buckle up buttercups

Meanwhile, back at the shitshow:

According to three eyewitnesses interviewed by NPR, Taubman appeared to be responding to the presence of a female reporter who was wearing a purple rubber bracelet to heighten awareness about domestic violence.

That reporter has tweeted repeatedly about the issue over the years. Taubman complained last year that some of the reporter's informational tweets — promoting domestic violence hotline telephone numbers, for example — appeared moments after Osuna entered several Astros games in relief.

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

You weren’t reading their 2019 thread where all these jerk offs were ring sizing 

1 minute ago, Brew said:

Did you miss a large chunk of the Astros thread over the last few days? 

I think y’all did. Most of us were bemoaning the disappearance of the Astros offense this post season. But carry on with the narrative you like. 

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Series is far from over. But that’s gotta be a wake up call for the Astros & their fans. They all thought this WS would be a cakewalk and they just lost with the best pitcher in the world on the mound.

That's rich from the guy who picked the Yankees in 4...

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I think y’all did. Most of us were bemoaning the disappearance of the Astros offense this post season. But carry on with the narrative you like. 

Seriously? You may want to go reread it. Your statement is true, but that doesn’t make my statement untrue. Go back to all of the 4/5 game wins and the pitching discussions and the Astros having the advantage in every aspect of the game, etc.

1 minute ago, Brew said:

Seriously? You may want to go reread it. Your statement is true, but that doesn’t make my statement untrue. Go back to all of the 4/5 game wins and the pitching discussions and the Astros having the advantage in every aspect of the game, etc.

Yes. On paper. Match up to match up the Astros are the better team. 

Most of the Astros thread was still concerned about all of the runners LOB. 

6 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

That's rich from the guy who picked the Yankees in 4...

Nats fans wanted the Yankees because we felt we had a better shot playing them. However, they'd drive ticket prices and fan douchebaggery up to 11.  Nobody wanted the Astros unless it was for affordable hotels in the World Series.  

6 minutes ago, Brew said:

All of those things are still true.  Winning one game by one run doesn't change them.  But those things don't guarantee Houston will win the series, either.  That's why it's so fun and so tense to watch.

I get that y'all are happy you won and you're doing the chip-on-our-shoulder-disrespected-underdog-fan thing.  And hey, enjoy tonight.  It was huge to get a road win against Gerrit Cole.  But a couple of Astro bats came around tonight (Springer and Yordan) and your bullpen showed what a big liability it is.  If JV wins tomorrow, I'll still feel really good about things.

I have no animosity toward the Nats.  Hell, I have Rendon in a keeper league.  I really wanted the Cardinals or Braves to settle some old NL rivalry scores, but it wasn't to be.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a classic World Series out of this.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

You’re still posting? Shut the fuck up and stick to your word you flaky Millennial dickweed.

Edited by Girdwood

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Who won Game 1 of the ALCS?

Humbling, indeed...

6 hours ago, TexArcher said:

All of those things are still true.  Winning one game by one run doesn't change them.  But those things don't guarantee Houston will win the series, either.  That's why it's so fun and so tense to watch.

I get that y'all are happy you won and you're doing the chip-on-our-shoulder-disrespected-underdog-fan thing.  And hey, enjoy tonight.  It was huge to get a road win against Gerrit Cole.  But a couple of Astro bats came around tonight (Springer and Yordan) and your bullpen showed what a big liability it is.  If JV wins tomorrow, I'll still feel really good about things.

I have no animosity toward the Nats.  Hell, I have Rendon in a keeper league.  I really wanted the Cardinals or Braves to settle some old NL rivalry scores, but it wasn't to be.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a classic World Series out of this.

Good post. For some to call Astros fans overconfident assholes on a Longhorn fan site is rich. They probably just forgot what that feels like. 

It’s been nice to have a team to follow that fucks.