2019 World Series: Houston Astros vs. Washington Nationals

elfenix

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Shit, remember when "ball tracker" first started being used by the networks, and they were just to sell us on McGwire hitting 540 foot bombs? Gotta say, I kind of miss the blatant bullshit.

Yeah those were pretty off but I had like 30 McGwire rookie cards and thought I was going to cash in so I was all for it.

Still have the cards and my kids ask me "isn't that the steroid guy?"

As an Astros fan who bitterly remembers Wally Backman being allowed to run out of the baseline to avoid a tag at first, which resulted in the Mets winning a game at Shea Stadium in the 1986 NLCS, I say tough crap.  We were owed one.  Can call it even now.

But I get the angst and would be pissed if I wasn't an Astros fan.  But but:  Backman's was far more egregious.

And now it probably doesn't matter, so I guess we Astros fan are still owed one.

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Impeding the ability to catch it absolutely cannot be the rule. How does the runner know where and when the ball will arrive?

He doesn't have to know as long as he's inside that running lane.  

I seriously have never understood why every level of baseball, including MLB, doesn't use the Little League-style 1st base to avoid this problem:

Little-League-player-standing-on-first-b

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Every single step of his left foot was in the grass, it doesn't get more obvious than that. Dumb play by the runner, didn't need to do it.

He was back to the middle of the bag when he crossed. Go back to the circle jerk thread.

• Like 1

I seriously have never understood why every level of baseball, including MLB, doesn't use the Little League-style 1st base to avoid this problem:
Little-League-player-standing-on-first-base.jpg

Never seen that. Is that so the runner can run to the outside base and the first baseman can stand on the inside base?

Little-League-player-standing-on-first-base.jpg

Never seen that. Is that so the runner can run to the outside base and the first baseman can stand on the inside base?

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Little-League-player-standing-on-first-b

You mean the running lane that’s in foul territory, when the entire base is in fair territory?

turner ran a straight line from his spot in the batters box to the base.  When a batter does that, nothing that happens at the bag should be his fault. 

If the rule allows for that, the rule should be changed. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Worst call I've ever seen, given the circumstances.  Unreal.  

I have no rooting interest, but holy hell was that an awful call. The homer made up for it I guess. 

I said Martinez needed to make a point by getting thrown out and I am glad he did. He absolutely did the right thing getting tossed.

4 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Doesn’t matter he squared at the end and was even with the bag. Horseshit call

he never took one step on or outside the line, including when he touched the bag.

Out.  Correct call made.  Mass hysteria by pro-washington announcers.

Edited by Iceman