2019 World Series: Houston Astros vs. Washington Nationals

elfenix

I have no rooting interest, but holy hell was that an awful call. The homer made up for it I guess. 
I said Martinez needed to make a point by getting thrown out and I am glad he did. He absolutely did the right thing getting tossed.
No, it was the right call. That has always been the rule. It was bad base running by the runner. Gurriel's glove getting knocked off sealed it. Martinez was up by three and was a jackass for getting thrown out.

I have no rooting interest, but holy hell was that an awful call. The homer made up for it I guess. 
I said Martinez needed to make a point by getting thrown out and I am glad he did. He absolutely did the right thing getting tossed.
No, it was the right call. That has always been the rule. It was bad base running by the runner. Gurriel's glove getting knocked off sealed it. Martinez was up by three and was a jackass for getting thrown out.

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
3 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

See my previous post on going back to the circle jerk thread. Call was horseshit and your clear bias is horseshit. I feel bad as a Braves fan rooting for the Nationals, but I'm all in. The strikezone has been bad enough in this series and now you get this garbage on top of it.

• Like 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
3 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

It was a laughable call. He was not in the line of that throw. Martinez knew getting tossed was the right thing to do, especially on the road.

8 minutes ago, Brew said:

He was back to the middle of the bag when he crossed. Go back to the circle jerk thread.

It doesn't matter. The lane is there for a reason. The runner is supposed to be in foul territory there. He never stepped in foul territory at any point. It's hard to believe any baseball fan would even argue it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brew said:

See my previous post on going back to the circle jerk thread. Call was horseshit and your clear bias is horseshit. I feel bad as a Braves fan rooting for the Nationals, but I'm all in. The strikezone has been bad enough in this series and now you get this garbage on top of it.

I have no bias. That was just a laughably bad call. The Nats battled through it though.

6 minutes ago, Brew said:

(11)  In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of ) the three-foot line, or inside (to the left of ) the foul line, and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, in which case the ball is dead; except that he may run outside (to the right of ) the three-foot line or inside (to the left of ) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball

Rule 5.09 (a)(11) Comment (Rule 6.05(k) Comment): The lines marking the three-foot lane are a part of that lane and a batter-runner is required to have both feet within the three-foot lane or on the lines marking the lane. The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

It was a laughable call. He was not in the line of that throw. Martinez knew getting tossed was the right thing to do, especially on the road.

That was an easy call and the right call. My fucking Pony Leaguers even know that rule. You're just butthurt over the Astros beating your Yankees. Get a clue.

Just now, UpperWestside said:

I have no bias. That was just a laughably bad call. The Nats battled through it though.

You're completely wrong.  He was running with both feet inside the baseline and he ran into the glove of the fielder attempting to make the play.  That is an out at every level.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wood said:

It doesn't matter. The lane is there for a reason. The runner is supposed to be in foul territory there. He never stepped in foul territory at any point. It's hard to believe any baseball fan would even argue it.

The base is in fair territory so the runner needs to be in fair territory to touch it. A batter shouldn’t have to run farther to get to foul territory just to have to veer back in to touch the bag. 

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

You're completely wrong.  He was running with both feet inside the baseline and he ran into the glove of the fielder attempting to make the play.  That is an out at every level.

I mean that's fine that you see it that way. 

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
5 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Lol. Not biased. You are a Yankees fan. Why are you even on this site?

Once they are done that's it. I am adult enough to be able to not care. You do not seem to possess that ability. This is just sports. Try to understand that.

Edited by UpperWestside

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The base is in fair territory so the runner needs to be in fair territory to touch it. A batter shouldn’t have to run farther to get to foul territory just to have to veer back in to touch the bag. 

Yes, you have to veer back in to touch the bag, but couldn't veer back in because he was never in foul territory to begin with. Had he done that, then it could have been a tougher call, and he'd probably have been safe. The lane is there because the rule is that that's where the runner is supposed to run. He didn't, and the ball hit him,. so he's out. That's an easy call at every level, as has been mentioned.

Just now, wood said:

Yes, you have to veer back in to touch the bag, but couldn't veer back in because he was never in foul territory to begin with. Had he done that, then it could have been a tougher call, and he'd probably have been safe. The lane is there because the rule is that that's where the runner is supposed to run. He didn't, and the ball hit him,. so he's out. That's an easy call at every level, as has been mentioned.

Understood. Like I said, the runner should never be punished for running in a straight line from the batters box to the base, and so the rule should be changed. 

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

(11)  In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of ) the three-foot line, or inside (to the left of ) the foul line, and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, in which case the ball is dead; except that he may run outside (to the right of ) the three-foot line or inside (to the left of ) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball

Rule 5.09 (a)(11) Comment (Rule 6.05(k) Comment): The lines marking the three-foot lane are a part of that lane and a batter-runner is required to have both feet within the three-foot lane or on the lines marking the lane. The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base.

Are you completely ignoring the fact the throw was offline, because the throw was definitely off line which brings int he reasonable chance of making the play as well as then whether it is intentional interference. He was back inside the lines at the time of contact. Keep ignoring all the circumstances of the complete play though. Again, flip it the other way and tell me if you are making the same argument.

• Like 1

Just now, Brew said:

Are you completely ignoring the fact the throw was offline, because the throw was definitely off line which brings int he reasonable chance of making the play as well as then whether it is intentional interference. He was back inside the lines at the time of contact. Keep ignoring all the circumstances of the complete play though. Again, flip it the other way and tell me if you are making the same argument.

The ball was past his glove. It was a horrific call. No other way to slice it 

1 minute ago, Brew said:

That's the fucking rule I posted.  If the rule says nothing about the throw being offline, then it doesn't matter if the throw was offline.  Not sure why you don't get that?

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I mean that's fine that you see it that way. 

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
5 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Lol. Not biased. You are a Yankees fan. Why are you even on this site?

Strasburg turned in one of the best performances in World Series history tonight. That was masterful. Damn I love watching this sport. 

The rule is not just that the runner can't go outside the lane, but also "in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base."  It wasn't a throw from the catcher where he was in the line of the throw.   Even if it had been, he got to the bag ahead of the throw. Just an awful call. 

• Like 2