2019 World Series: Houston Astros vs. Washington Nationals

elfenix

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Hard to think the Nats have much of a shot tomorrow. Scherzer can’t be any better than 50% healthy, meanwhile the Astros have a fully rested Greinke & Urquidy, and Cole on 3 days rest.

Don't you put that evil on us, Helobious.  You pick the Nationals right now, dammit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Don't you put that evil on us, Helobious.  You pick the Nationals right now, dammit.

I’m currently ranked #24 in the football prediction contest. I’ve forgotten more about sports than most on here will ever know. It’s pretty obvious who has the huge advantage tomorrow.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’m currently ranked #24 in the football prediction contest. I’ve forgotten more about sports than most on here will ever know. It’s pretty obvious who has the huge advantage tomorrow.

My expertise at picking up on subtle, little noticed trends tells me that the nats will win because they are the road team.  Let’s keep that little nugget between you, me, and your bookie. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

We all just witnessed one of the best performances in World Series history by a pitcher. Try and enjoy what you saw. He did something we might never see again. 

No offense intended, with all due respect, but this is just an uninformed post. 

Seriously, “one of the best performances in World Series history “?

Don Larson’s perfect game is the gold standard, and Strasburg’s performance  might not make the top 50. I’m too tired to look it up  

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

We all just witnessed one of the best performances in World Series history by a pitcher. Try and enjoy what you saw. He did something we might never see again. 

Bob Gibson says hi. 

Koufax says hi. 

I mean it was good, but come on. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

You are such a little fuckboi Millennial. I bet you get your ass kicked a lot in bars don’t you? 

6 hours ago, Bernard said:

I’m drunk on a flight to London right now. Watched most of the game in the airport lounge and bar and streaming until takeoff. Game 7 in London should be epic.

Bernard

Thanks for the update, the whole board was concerned with where you watched the game and whether or not you were drunk.

• Like 2

A few reasons people can't stand Joe Buck:

Silver spoon lineage of announcing and essential fast track to the national stage.

Homerisn - especially early in his career for the Cardinals, but mostly just sucks off any favored team in a big game/series.

His (at times) obvious distaste for baseball; pace of the game, lack of emotion during big moments, his lack of nuance for the games within the game

No signature calls -- he literally takes pride in "letting the moment" play out because he thinks it's cool... but in reality he has nothing of substance to say.

Joe Buck is awesome if you like buying your khakis at Target.

• Like 3

And he says stupid shit. You forgot to mention, he says stupid shit. Says it in a droning on, wandering and frequently incorrect, kind of way. If Joe Buck was any other guy, and he sat down near you at a party, you would get up and go looking for people talking about politics or religion. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

I can't believe someone actually negged an innocent post like this.  Dirk X. West, go buy some new panties, yours seem to be permanently bunched.  So I + repped the post simply to negate her petty nonsense.

If someone on the football board told everyone to get over that UT loss to OSU a few years back with all the bizarre calls, like the ref bumping Charlie Strong and then throwing a flag, that UT just "did it to themselves", they would get the shit negged out of them.  Same principle.  As many here in this thread noted in subsequent posts, that 2006 NBA finals was a fucking for the ages.

Never follow baseball during the regular season and only watch the post season if the Rangers or Astros are in the post season. As soon as they are eliminated or looks like they will be eliminated I stop watching. This year I caught the wild card and the Nationals had that huge comeback with what seemed to be a fun team. So I watched both the Astros and the Nationals this post season. So now here we are and it is going to suck if the Astros lose but the sting will be slightly less to the Nationals.

I only know baseball due to following the Longhorns and the many great appearances in the post season. Also, fuck Wichita and the rule change that year. That team should have been champions. No way they get beat twice in a row.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Well see. Greinke isn’t exactly the most level headed guy, and he’s pitching in the biggest game of his life. Plus, I bet he’s more like 70% with a lot of PKs and an injection. Astros are at home with the better team, but I’ll trust an amped up Scherzer over Greinke.

Nats need at least 6 but probably 7 innings from Scherzer. Is that possible given his shoulder spasms? Is his location going to be anywhere near the plate? I love Max, but I have low expectations. Likely Sanchez and Corbin are out of the pen to eat up a couple innings (each?) to get the game to Hudson/Doolittle. If the Nats win, I think they need to score a lot. Not likely able to hold Houston to 2-3 runs tonight. Their lineup is too good. 

15 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Nats need at least 6 but probably 7 innings from Scherzer. Is that possible given his shoulder spasms? Is his location going to be anywhere near the plate? I love Max, but I have low expectations. Likely Sanchez and Corbin are out of the pen to eat up a couple innings (each?) to get the game to Hudson/Doolittle. If the Nats win, I think they need to score a lot. Not likely able to hold Houston to 2-3 runs tonight. Their lineup is too good. 

Astros are fucked in the head at home.  The winner of this game depends entirely on whether the Astros hitters can get themselves unfucked and mentally straight.  I don't think the pitcher for the Nats is even relevant.  Corbin got lit up in your stadium, but would have shut them down had he been pitching in game 2 or 6.  Not sure what it is about playing in front of the home crowd, but they suck.  Both teams really.  Much was made of Strasburg's pitching, but it wasn't his best outing.  The Astros were completely undisciplined at the plate.  Some of that was the gracious strike zone the umps gave y'all, but most of it was just stupid hitting on the part of the Astros.  Springer battled through bad called strikes.  Everyone else was just swinging away without even paying attention.  None of the strikeouts were classic "awesome pitching beating awesome batting" strikeouts.  It was a great pitcher striking out a little league side.

I think I could strike out Correa right now, and I'd be lucky to throw a pitch over 50 mph.  

That being said, I can't imagine Scherzer is near 100% and the type of injury he had can affect throwing motion.  Still, a 10% Scherzer could handle last night's Astros.  All he needs to do is throw a breaking ball a foot outside.  Astros won't lay off it.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Astros are fucked in the head at home.  The winner of this game depends entirely on whether the Astros hitters can get themselves unfucked and mentally straight.  I don't think the pitcher for the Nats is even relevant.

God damn, this is a bad take.

At home, the Astros have faced Scherzer once and Strasburg twice.  

In Game 1, once they got Scherzer out, they scored a pair of late inning runs against the bullpen.  And Stras was dealing in both of his starts, as he's done against pretty much everyone for about three months.

Good pitching generally beats good hitting.  That's why runs-per-game go down in the playoffs every year.  Sometimes you just tip your cap.

Do you think Corbin would've shut down the Astros had that game been in Houston instead of in DC?  Nope, because Corbin's been a gas can the whole postseason.

The quality of the starting pitching matters a hell of a lot more than the location of the game.

And if Max is off tonight, he's gonna give up runs.  They could play it in Mexico City and that would be the case.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Astros are fucked in the head at home.  The winner of this game depends entirely on whether the Astros hitters can get themselves unfucked and mentally straight.  I don't think the pitcher for the Nats is even relevant.  Corbin got lit up in your stadium, but would have shut them down had he been pitching in game 2 or 6.  Not sure what it is about playing in front of the home crowd, but they suck.  Both teams really.  Much was made of Strasburg's pitching, but it wasn't his best outing.  The Astros were completely undisciplined at the plate.  Some of that was the gracious strike zone the umps gave y'all, but most of it was just stupid hitting on the part of the Astros.  Springer battled through bad called strikes.  Everyone else was just swinging away without even paying attention.  None of the strikeouts were classic "awesome pitching beating awesome batting" strikeouts.  It was a great pitcher striking out a little league side.

I think I could strike out Correa right now, and I'd be lucky to throw a pitch over 50 mph.  

That being said, I can't imagine Scherzer is near 100% and the type of injury he had can affect throwing motion.  Still, a 10% Scherzer could handle last night's Astros.  All he needs to do is throw a breaking ball a foot outside.  Astros won't lay off it.

I always find it pretty crappy as a fan to try and undermine the performance of the other team or just try and explain away a loss, a good performance on the other side, etc. The strike zone mapping doesn’t support your faulty conclusion just for the record. It was more consistent last night than some of the others. It did get a little wide to the outside after the botched call, but for the most part it was consistent.

As far as Strasburg’s performance specifically, view it however you want but he pitched a hell of a game last night once he made the adjustments after the first to stop tipping his pitch. Batters definitely chased some bad pitches low, but sometimes pitching, the count, prior at bats, etc. dictates that as much as hitters just being wild. Houston’s hitters also didn’t dictate anything with the runs the Nats put up outside of Bregman potentially being nice enough to fire them up a little.