Three US Soldiers killed in Georgia (USA)

Parliament

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/20/us/fort-stewart-soldiers-killed/index.html

Three US soldiers with the 3rd Infantry Division were killed, and three others injured during a training accident in Georgia early Sunday morning, according to the Army.

The soldiers were riding in a Bradley Fighting Vehicle at Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield when the vehicle "rolled over into water at approximately 3:20 a.m.," Fort Stewart said in a statement.
Three soldiers were pronounced dead on site and three others were taken to Winn Army Community Hospital on Fort Stewart for their injuries. Two of the injured soldiers were later released, and the third was moved to Memorial Hospital in Savannah, Georgia, with non-life-threatening injuries, the statement said.

Thank you for your service, Guys.  Next round's on me.

Horrible.  Best friend was an Abrams driver for the 24th Mechanized.  He had some stories.  Drivers getting killed because they were sitting high in their seats and the main gun was lowered on their heads.  Tanks running guys over.  Turning over.  Etc.  

He told me a story about a time in Kentucky when their TC (tank commander) came up on a "small" creek.  Look safe enough.  Ordered them forward.  He had his hatch (driver) open for better visibility.  Turns out that creek was deep.  The entire tank basically submerged.  He was completely underwater, head out of the hatch.  He just floored it to keep the engine from stalling.  They came out the other side, tank was half filled with water.  Damn scary.  Good thing is the Abrams has what is essentially a jet engine in it.  They hung all their wet clothes behind it and roared the engine.  Made it back.  Dry and toasty.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My son is stationed there, so "close to home" and all that. I freak a little whenever shit happens at Stewart.

When he was finishing up AIT he told me something that made me think. "Dad, you know how 19-year-old drivers annoy you?" "Yep," I said. "Now imagine them driving a tank."

Yeah, that is kinda scary, son.

Weird as this is to say, especially in light of a tragedy like this, but I still think he is safer in the Army than out, with all the car wrecks, overdoses and other stupid shit kids his age get up to these days. (And all days...I had no more sense than he did at 19.) Shit, an old friend of his who he shared a pizzeria job with was murdered behind the register by a just-released ex-con over a few hundred bucks in Bellaire, of all places. 

My son's getting out next month and I won't stop worrying about him. I'll probably worry more. Parenting, man. It never ends. My heart goes out to those parents who are probably just getting the terrible news about now.  

Ditto - my son, 91-bravo, talks about some of the stuff that happens in the motor pool. Stupid shit isn't limited to the outside world, but I agree about safer in than out. But mine just reported to Ft. Hood for 7-8 weeks training before shipping out to the Middle East. They aren't sure where they will be sent, as their mission up to about 10 days ago was to support US forces in Syria. 
I won't lie, I'm worried about what may happen now that our shit head CIC is doing shithead things in/to a shithead part of the world (sorry to CR the thread)

• Like 6

Night maneuvers amplify  everything... including that 19 year old being a less experienced driver. Add in unfamiliar terrain and possible fatigue/ weariness/ inattention and there ya have it. I was in Motor Transport( light vehicles) not armor, but night operations and watching those f'ing cat's eyes on the rear of the vehicle in front of you while on tactical operations was a beating.

First thing I did  upon hearing the news was call my son and see if any of his peeps/ classmates were involved( they were not.)  heart goes out to those families of the soldiers who passed away.  It's one of the worst things you ever think about as a parent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Ditto - my son, 91-bravo, talks about some of the stuff that happens in the motor pool. Stupid shit isn't limited to the outside world, but I agree about safer in than out. But mine just reported to Ft. Hood for 7-8 weeks training before shipping out to the Middle East. They aren't sure where they will be sent, as their mission up to about 10 days ago was to support US forces in Syria. 
I won't lie, I'm worried about what may happen now that our shit head CIC is doing shithead things in/to a shithead part of the world (sorry to CR the thread)

My kid's 91-Bravo too. He's attached to an MP unit and they are all back from Korea now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

How accurate is the movie/book "The Pentagon Wars" in regards to the Bradley?

About as accurate as it is with the F35 Shitbird, V22 Osprey and Zumwalt destroyers.  Which is to say, it's effed up.

ETA

I think though, the Bradley has ended up being pretty good.  It's a very adaptable platform.  They added reactive armor to it, good missiles, etc and don't send it straight against tanks.  They "backed in" to a useful product.

Edited by Parliament

13 hours ago, Parliament said:

About as accurate as it is with the F35 Shitbird, V22 Osprey and Zumwalt destroyers.  Which is to say, it's effed up.

ETA

I think though, the Bradley has ended up being pretty good.  It's a very adaptable platform.  They added reactive armor to it, good missiles, etc and don't send it straight against tanks.  They "backed in" to a useful product.

Zumwalt had the Navy wearing business suits. Fuck that guy.

Bradley was reactionary to the Soviet BMP.  A cheap, effective APC that completely and totally outclassed the venerable M113.  It was amphibious, mounted a low-velocity 73mm cannon, was fast enough to keep up with other mechanized units, and had the capacity for soldiers inside the vehicle to fire their weapons through ports on both sides of the vehicle (where we got the idea for this).  It also mounted an anti-tank missile above the main gun (also where countered with our own TOW missles).  Later, the subsequent BMP models countered the Bradley and other western variants like the British Warrior by adopting their own 30mm high-velocity cannon, better armor, etc.  

BMP,  to it's credit, ushered in a new era of mechanized infantry fighting vehicles that was copied by almost every industrialized army going forward.  Bradley is far superior, but when you do a cost analysis, on what we spend on the Bradley relative to how it compares to the BMP, it's not "that" much better.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.  Fortunately, my kid is locked-in to being a drill sergeant for the next couple of years, so no chance of  deployments should some certain someone get a wild hair up his fat ass.  

• Like 1