Whatcha reading?

DocZaius

I can't remember all the Jack Reacher books I've read so started in reverse chronological order.  

The latest one [I think] was the best so far.  The others were fine but nothing great.  

They're easy reads and I can knock one out in about 4 days if I get time for it

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

I can't remember all the Jack Reacher books I've read so started in reverse chronological order.  

The latest one [I think] was the best so far.  The others were fine but nothing great.  

Alex Cross books are my go-to for easy knockout reads when I'm in between actual good books

24 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I'm reading the Winds of Remembrance now after finishing Winds of War.  I wonder if the tv series is worth watching?

It was on TV when I was a kid.  For some reason, I associate it with being soap-opera-ish.  Not sure if that came from my parents, or glimpses of it, or what.  I didn't watch enough of it to form a real opinion or know the story. But I was pleasantly surprised by the "of" books.

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdkv6Ob7QUB5hJEUb-4fS

Don't want to CR this thread, but curious if anyone has read this? Is it worth picking up? 

I read it about a month ago. Many people have found reading it an exercise in frustration, but I felt like it was a good book to have read. It will challenge how you think about things when it comes to race and it’ll make you feel uncomfortable at times, but that’s the point l believe. There were some lessons I took from it that are helpful.

I bought that off Amazon and it came in large print which was not clear from the listing. That annoyed me so I sent it back, then I read the reviews to see if other people had the same problem (they did), then by reading reviews I convinced myself I wouldn’t like it after all.

So I’m curious to see your review when you finish it.

Started this one.

Story of two main characters trying to make their way after the Revolutionary War.

I really like the two main characters. It's written a little differently.  One chapter is written from the POV of one character and then the next chapter from the POV of the other character. Then alternating chapters.

I don't care for that style but so far I like it.

91Z-POV2DFL.jpg

On 9/8/2020 at 8:43 AM, Post Oak said:

Started this one.

Story of two main characters trying to make their way after the Revolutionary War.

I really like the two main characters. It's written a little differently.  One chapter is written from the POV of one character and then the next chapter from the POV of the other character. Then alternating chapters.

I don't care for that style but so far I like it.

91Z-POV2DFL.jpg

This was really good.  Well developed characters and a great premise.

I thought it could've been about 20 pages shorter but once it got cooking I couldn't put it down.

My first David Liss book.  I'm off to read some more.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 9:49 PM, wild_turkey said:

I bought that off Amazon and it came in large print which was not clear from the listing. That annoyed me so I sent it back, then I read the reviews to see if other people had the same problem (they did), then by reading reviews I convinced myself I wouldn’t like it after all.

So I’m curious to see your review when you finish it.

Finally finished, not because it wasn't good, but because life sometimes gets in the way of my reading time. 

It was good, not great. The author is a travel writer so she does a real good job of immersing you in the environment. However this was apparently her first novel, and it shows a little. The storyline get a bit predictable and a lot of the dialogue is hackneyed and weak. In the end I was like "well that was a pleasant story" rather than being blown away like a lot of the reviews I've read. Let me ask you this question - Do you like the movie "The Notebook"? If yes, you will love this book. If meh, you will like this book. If hell no, you won't like this book. I was right there in the middle. 

51NUM+N59kL._SY346_.jpg

I read Follett's new one, this time a prequel to The Pillars of the Earth.  It was good.  I feel like with the two sequels and now this one, he has mostly rewritten Pillars three times in different time frames.  This one is set around the turn of the last millennium, so England is showing the first signs of eventually coming out of the dark ages and there are lots of Viking raids.  It also has the familiar tropes - the genius builder, the evil scheming bishop and his family, the couple that fall in love but are kept apart by their different classes and said scheming bishop.  But I really loved the original, so this was good too.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm "reading" Richard Henry Dana Jr's "Two Years Before The Mast; The Life Of A Sailor", published in 1840, in audio book. It's his account of the 2 years (duh) that he spent aboard a sailing ship out of Boston from 1834-1836. I've read it twice before in the conventional way and I like this edition. The reader is pretty good, gets a bit excited at times with the voices but not to the detriment of the story really. This also has a shit ton of other material included, probably an extra 4-5 hours worth of it is supplemental stuff. Started with a long discussion on the many revisions that the author released over his lifetime and the why and the changes that were made. The book includes notes wherever phrases or terms that might be unfamiliar are used and things like that. Oh, also one of the later editions left out a significant part of the first chapter due to Dana's changing views on certain aspects of his life as a seaman and this included that. Then the last chapter is the one he added 24 years after he first published the book. It's a great listen at times, rounding Cape Horn is a harrowing experience and just the day to day of climbing all over a ship in terrible weather. If there could be one complaint it's the long tedious passages about handling the sails. "Unreef the topsail, boom the takle, strip the limp lines and set the jib boom. Haul the royal sheet, turn the studding sets, reave the blocks too and then it's salt for all." Things like that that go on and on. Like anybody could even know that shit. 

One kinda cool thing is Texas gets a shout-out as Santy Anny is president of Mexico and consequently California during the time they are going up and down the coast collecting hides to take back to Boston. 

I recommend it just for the "holy fuck those bastards were crazy" sentiment it's sure to provide.

• Like 1

Finished The Forgotten 500 about WW II aircrews going on bombing runs over heavily defended Romanian oil fields. The damaged bombers that couldn't make it back meant their crews were captured, unless they were able to hide with help from the locals. The trapped airmen and the locals came up with a plan to bring in rescue planes without alerting the nearby Germans, while also trying to avoid running afoul of the official policies of the US State Department. Several involved received medals/awards which remained classified for decades after the war ended (for reasons I won't spoil here).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/24/2020 at 7:51 PM, Post Oak said:

i started reading the Gabriel Allon books in August...Daniel Silva is one of the best fiction writers out there.

HIGHLY recommend.

Just finished this one.  It's my second David Liss books.  It's was good. Not great.  His books (so far) seem to take a while to get going but once they get up to speed I've found them hard to put down. 

Starting another one now and after that I'm going to start William Faulkner.   

140f7275-651d-417b-8bfd-012e9333aa27_1.2

On 9/29/2020 at 5:47 PM, CycleTex87 said:

Just started this, two pages in

image.jpeg.b4218de281c55e797de85585982da9c6.jpeg

Seeing his name got me curious as to what might be available in my audio library and I found an early novel of his, "The Modigliani 
Scandal". Written in '78 I think. Light fare, an entertaining mystery of a girl on the hunt for a lost painting and the shenanigans that go on among artists, art collectors and art dealers.

51FicgHedJL._SY346_.jpg

I like this series for the mysteries and the will they/won't they with Strike and Robin.  There's also enough Enlighness to make them interesting.  The case this time is a 40 year old disappearance and the investigation stretches out over a year.  It was pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking about it in the Video Games forum, and thought I'd post it over here, since I just started reading it. For those who grew up on the Sierra games like I did, this book is written by Roberta William's husband and co-founder of Sierra Ken Williams. I haven't gotten very far yet, but it's the ultimate insider book:

• 2 weeks later...

Someone upthread mentioned Jack Reacher novels. I'd never heard of them so had to google and that got me to thinking about some men's action novels we passed around when I was in the Navy. No, no, wait, nothing like that. I meant Mack Bolan books, "The Executioner" series. So I downloaded the first 3, plowed thru those, then the next 3 and then the 3 after that. These are audio books all done by the same crew, very much like listening to a radio program. Most all were written around 1970 and set in that time so much is quite dated but some of the author's views of the future are a bit prescient. Most recent thing I can think of him mentioning was the growing role the media plays in everyday lives. 

I say give one a try if you're looking for a few hours of macho escapism. 

• Like 1

I downloaded "The Electric Koolaid Acid Tests" audio book. The reader does it like a piece of performance art, which for the subject matter is fantastic. It does get a bit tedious at times, you sort of wish you could come down but can't, but for the most part it works for me. 

• Like 1

I like most of Pearlman's books, but this one is really good so far.  I never realized just how much Kobe was disliked by almost every Laker for the first few years he was there.  
9781328530004_p0_v4_s550x406.jpg.c1f5a5acc2468af12726f17405b44468.jpg

This one is in spot two in queue for me. Diving into Pappyland starting today, but I am looking forward to Three Ring Circus.

On 9/29/2020 at 7:47 PM, CycleTex87 said:

Just started this, two pages in

update - I’m about 20% in, characters are kind of one dimensional, story is good but predictable.  

image.jpeg.b4218de281c55e797de85585982da9c6.jpeg

Did you read Pillars of the Earth? I enjoyed that trilogy, as well as his Fall of Giants series, and am wondering if this compares.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:36 PM, El Diablo said:

I'm "reading" Richard Henry Dana Jr's "Two Years Before The Mast; The Life Of A Sailor", published in 1840, in audio book. It's his account of the 2 years (duh) that he spent aboard a sailing ship out of Boston from 1834-1836. I've read it twice before in the conventional way and I like this edition. The reader is pretty good, gets a bit excited at times with the voices but not to the detriment of the story really. This also has a shit ton of other material included, probably an extra 4-5 hours worth of it is supplemental stuff. Started with a long discussion on the many revisions that the author released over his lifetime and the why and the changes that were made. The book includes notes wherever phrases or terms that might be unfamiliar are used and things like that. Oh, also one of the later editions left out a significant part of the first chapter due to Dana's changing views on certain aspects of his life as a seaman and this included that. Then the last chapter is the one he added 24 years after he first published the book. It's a great listen at times, rounding Cape Horn is a harrowing experience and just the day to day of climbing all over a ship in terrible weather. If there could be one complaint it's the long tedious passages about handling the sails. "Unreef the topsail, boom the takle, strip the limp lines and set the jib boom. Haul the royal sheet, turn the studding sets, reave the blocks too and then it's salt for all." Things like that that go on and on. Like anybody could even know that shit. 

One kinda cool thing is Texas gets a shout-out as Santy Anny is president of Mexico and consequently California during the time they are going up and down the coast collecting hides to take back to Boston. 

I recommend it just for the "holy fuck those bastards were crazy" sentiment it's sure to provide.

As a former resident of Dana Point, CA, I approve this post.