Whatcha reading?

DocZaius

On 11/28/2020 at 6:55 PM, Gil Bang said:

As a former resident of Dana Point, CA, I approve this post. 

I spent the better part of 6 years afloat, first in the Navy and then as a merchant mariner. Those old accounts of life at sea are riveting. I recently downloaded and listened to a Jack London collection of stories he wrote based on his  experiences in the South Pacific around 1908 or so. It was even then a territory inhabited by unrepentant cannibals. Also this year reread Michener's Tales of the South Pacific (WWII era) and just started Melville's Typee and Omoo (also set at about the same time as the Dana story). The full Melville "trilogy" is 44 hours in length. Pretty sure I'll have my salt water needs met if/when I finish this one. 

Edited by El Diablo

On 11/30/2020 at 12:36 PM, hornbri said:

Started Ready Player Two this weekend, good so far but a little heavy on the "technology is evil" theme. 

The author was a guest on Coast-to-Coast AM one night a week or so ago. I think their stuff is available on their website if you cared to listen. 

On 11/30/2020 at 2:36 PM, hornbri said:

Started Ready Player Two this weekend, good so far but a little heavy on the "technology is evil" theme. 

I mentioned this in the video game sub, but If you have $30 burning a hole in your pocket (if you have less, you can still pick up several books), you can pick up 95 books on the history and development of videogames

http://storybundle.com/games

I'm starting with Designers & Dragons - 1970s, 1980s, 1990s & 2000s, then Commodork - Sordid Tales from a BBS Junkie.

Going to relive my younger years.

I finished "Typee" last night. Ending came up out of nowhere, opportunity presented itself and bam! the guy's adventure was suddenly over. It's a good story, just a narrative really without a lot of action moving the story though there is a storyline. Mostly descriptive of the life and ways of the Marquesan's of the mid1800's.  Next up is "Omoo", the tale of the companion who escaped early on in "Typee" and what became of him. 

Some recent finishes:

51Nlp8MMftL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Meh.  I thought this was going to be focused on the Revolution in the Hudson River Valley.  It was essentially a short retelling of the Revolution that mildly touched upon how the Brits were focused on the Hudson.  The story of that war has been told better.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdWWqfGlmURJFWyef7Ymy

This was great.  First hand accounts of vets taken by a pro interviewer.  A little of that stilted English prose that reads a bit like a Ph.D thesis to an American, but the stories.  Wow.

image.png.e545cfbb4df5058e2f05676d6712d233.png

Hart relies a lot on Liddle's interviews, but does a better job telling the overall story of the Gallipoli campaign.  Well researched and written, it reads much more fluidly than Liddle's book.  It's an academic history, told with a popular history touch.

81NzE1u3t9L._AC_UY218_.jpg

The story from the other side of the hill.  Well researched and a bit eye opening being used to hearing the Brit/Anzac view of the battle.  Once again, for the Allied side, he relies on Peter Liddle's interviews.  

91FkGNNOQvL._AC_UY218_.jpg

A great in depth telling of the political and diplomatic forces of the early 1900s that culminated in the making of the modern Middle East at the end of WWI.  If you want to know how we got to into the Middle Eastern quagmire without going over the entire history of the Ottoman Empire, this is the place to start. 

Edited by Chad Fuck

• 2 weeks later...

51jzze44WQL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Finished this one it's a quick read. Historical fiction. There are a few busty colonial wenches in bursting bodices that caught my attention.  Quick read and learned a few things about Bunker Hill.  I'll dig into that further after i finish this next one.

It's a story of fathers and sons and world-class bourbon.  I love most anything Wright Thompson pens.  This is no exception.   I read half of it last night and didn't want to put it down.  I teared up a few times and learned quite a bit about whiskey and bourbon.  I finished it and went to my kid's rooms while they slept and cuddled them. 

So far this one has moved me.  I don't hand out many five stars on Goodreads but I'm thinking this one will get one.  

• Like 1

Just finished The Boy From The Woods by Harlan Coben. Pretty decent little mystery novel and a quick read. The modern day political digs are a little heavy handed but enjoyable nonetheless. I’m gonna read a work book next (by our CEO) and then tackle either Dune or The Stand (I got both for Christmas).

Been reading a good bit of Hunter S Thompson lately. Mostly collections of his journalistic efforts with various magazines during/from his campaign trail days. No CR, the things we're seeing today have all been done before. In a way it's sad but comforting. 

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 1

Also just finished Second Suns by David Oliver Relin. It’s about a Nepalese ophthalmologist and an American ophthalmologist who team up to provide cataract surgery for poor people in Nepal and Africa. I really enjoyed it because it’s in my line of work, but others may enjoy it from a humanitarian standpoint.

Regardless, the main reason I’m sharing is because of this excerpt towards the end of the book:

9b3a8cfcdbd6b13d12a36d8d414a7532.jpg

These are ophthalmologists hiking in the Himalayas in the mid-2000s when they encountered this guy. I’d be really curious to find someone who knows the Longhorn who got mauled by a bull and had his intestines sewn back in by an ophthalmologist in the Himalayas.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann. 

While impressively researched, Grann is just not a mystery writer. There are some unnecessary hints to the killer's identity very early in the book. Also the final act is completely unnecessary and anticlimactic. The set up to the final act was written as cliffhanger twist, it is not. 

Scorsese is getting up there in age. He'll turn 79 in the fall. Not sure why this book/screen play jumped out to him. 

On 2/23/2021 at 6:38 AM, El Diablo said:

More Hemingway, a collection of his short stories. Some are really short. That's a good thing about Hemingway, if you don't like a particular story it doesn't take long to get thru it. Brevity, he had it. 

Supposedly, but I think it's true, he was a Paris/Europe correspondent for a Montreal paper and the cost of his telegrams was deducted from his pay.  Thus, he learned an economy of words.

His and Fitzgerald's short stories are among the best fiction literature ever put to paper, imo.  Another pretty good one, but somewhat undersung, is John O'Hara.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/24/2021 at 5:47 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Supposedly, but I think it's true, he was a Paris/Europe correspondent for a Montreal paper and the cost of his telegrams was deducted from his pay.  Thus, he learned an economy of words.

His and Fitzgerald's short stories are among the best fiction literature ever put to paper, imo.  Another pretty good one, but somewhat undersung, is John O'Hara.

I liked the Nick Adams character, wish that had been fleshed out more in a single novel. Google told me that those stories were compiled into a collection in '72 but I think that most of them were in the collection that I just finished. Some of the stories, due in part to the economy of words, seemed somewhat unfinished but nope, that was the story and more words would not have conveyed anymore than what there already was. Wish I knew French now. 

On 12/26/2020 at 3:44 PM, Post Oak said:

It's a story of fathers and sons and world-class bourbon.  I love most anything Wright Thompson pens.  This is no exception.   I read half of it last night and didn't want to put it down.  I teared up a few times and learned quite a bit about whiskey and bourbon.  I finished it and went to my kid's rooms while they slept and cuddled them. 

So far this one has moved me.  I don't hand out many five stars on Goodreads but I'm thinking this one will get one.  

Pappyland was moving. I heard Thompson's voice the whole time. Finished it within two sittings this past week.

• Hook 'Em 1

Read the first 4 Harry Potters to the (now) 6 and 8 year old. Wanted to change it up a little. Found a copy of the Dark is Rising series (in one book) on eBay for ~$5. They liked Over Sea Under Stone but are really liking DiR, which I remember being my favorite...25 years ago?  Pacing is a little slow for the 6 year old. I’m really enjoying the RE-read myself, maybe almost as much as the 8 year old. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 2