Whatcha reading?

DocZaius

On 9/23/2021 at 3:36 PM, BearSchlong said:

Had a bunch of drive time lately and some Audible credits to burn. . .

undefined

Yep-I'm listening to that audio book now too-kinda spicy.  Not too surprised about anything that comes out of that book about Trump, but I'm a little shook about Milley and what was going on behind the scenes around the time of the insurrection-I mean, the protest.  To think that those discussions were necessary in regards to what Trump might've been able to do just makes me hate that asshole even more.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 3:25 PM, Bogeywon said:

Any musician should read this. He really nails what it feels like playing live and the feeling you get. He’s a really good story teller and im enjoying the audiobook 9892727C-813D-4D72-8BD0-16D0F866A45B.thumb.jpeg.f3890bab7c289246bf0033d54c2df6e5.jpeg

I picked this up yesterday and am ~300 pages into it- very entertaining and well paced.

9781472280848-us.jpg

Technically didn't read this but listened to the audio book (narrated by MM). I think that's the best way to do it because he's very good at telling his own stories. I really enjoyed it. Learned a lot about MM that I didn't know previously. He's had a very interesting life.

Edited by wild_turkey
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bought this on a whim in an airport bookstore and ended up liking it quite a bit. It's a relationship drama about a couple of young people in Ireland, which I thought did a pretty good job of depicting people struggling to get through their early 20s. It was also made into a TV show which I also thought was great and started a thread about.

9780062671202.jpg?v=1632864503

I was fairly disappointed by this one. I kept seeing it in bookstores and on book lists but the description didn't draw me in. Once I saw it won the Pulitzer, I finally thought it was worth reading. It felt like the plot was pretty boring and just meandered along without much development. I was happy to have it end and move on to something else.

42583886._SY475_.jpg

I've had this book laying around the house for a while now but I thought it would be too cliché or cheesy so I put off reading it. Finally picked it up and I liked it way more than I expected to. It was a quick and easy read. It looks like the movie comes out next summer and will feature Daisy Edgar-Jones (who by the way, gets naked a lot in the Normal People TV show I mentioned upthread).

• Hook 'Em 1

GUEST_7c464b7f-0e81-4a99-a35e-a548a5c1e0

I saw a couple people discussing this earlier in the thread. I thought it was good and entertaining but not as good as The Martian. I do love the way Andy Weir can weave science lessons into the chapters of a novel and it amazes me the random shit he thinks up. Worth reading for that part alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Bunch of Native American books popping up recently. I've read a bunch of them, and agree that Empire of the Summer Moon was perhaps the best. I recently read 'The Earth is Weeping', which essentially was a summary of all the Indian wars I had read about previously, but consolidated and abridged a bit. Great way to learn about all the western tribes (and how they were routinely, and predictably fucked by the US Govt).
The Ice at the End of the World was a great book about Greenland, spanning epic Scandinavian explorers to the present-day scientists giving us a front-row preview of how and why climate change is going to fuck our shit up. Great combination of non-fiction adventure and science.
I'm currently reading 'Kindred: Neanderthal Life, Love, Death and Art'. It gets a bit dry when talking about stone technology, but the information archaeologists are able to tease out of shattered bones, chipped rocks and ash deposits on rock walls is crazy. I also learned about Bruniquel Cave for the first time. It kind of looks like a Paleolithic Thujone creation, but imagining hominids nearly 10,000 GENERATIONS ago creating something that is clearly symbolic and not simply functional blows my mind. I would love to go back and observe the world 50,000-100,000 years ago, as the Neanderthal, human and insane ice age world collided.

Bunch of Native American books popping up recently. I've read a bunch of them, and agree that Empire of the Summer Moon was perhaps the best. I recently read 'The Earth is Weeping', which essentially was a summary of all the Indian wars I had read about previously, but consolidated and abridged a bit. Great way to learn about all the western tribes (and how they were routinely, and predictably fucked by the US Govt).
The Ice at the End of the World was a great book about Greenland, spanning epic Scandinavian explorers to the present-day scientists giving us a front-row preview of how and why climate change is going to fuck our shit up. Great combination of non-fiction adventure and science.
I'm currently reading 'Kindred: Neanderthal Life, Love, Death and Art'. It gets a bit dry when talking about stone technology, but the information archaeologists are able to tease out of shattered bones, chipped rocks and ash deposits on rock walls is crazy. I also learned about Bruniquel Cave for the first time. It kind of looks like a Paleolithic Thujone creation, but imagining hominids nearly 10,000 GENERATIONS ago creating something that is clearly symbolic and not simply functional blows my mind. I would love to go back and observe the world 50,000-100,000 years ago, as the Neanderthal, human and insane ice age world collided.

Thanks for the recs. Want to read on both subjects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned upthread, I have been jonesing for moar naval warfare fiction, bonus if WWII themed.

I stumbled across this:

Cover-A-Call-to-Colors.jpg

About a destroyer at Leyte Gulf.  Pretty decent.  The author has no tics that I perceived, and, he served on a Fletcher Class DD in the Vietnam era, so he knows of what he speaks.  And, he wove a fictional narrative among historical events pretty well, with accuracy.  Also, a sideplot involving steam locomotives and trains, which are a perennial interest.

He has a whole series of naval fiction books.  I can recommend that one, at least.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 11/26/2021 at 8:23 AM, TexPx said:

Yeah, his writing is very dry but a fascinating story. Scorcese movie should be out soon I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've only seen a release date for next year (22) but perhaps things picked up a little this year. That's where I grew up, and the story has been a long time coming. I may have mentioned it earlier, but another read about it is the one below, which meanders a bit, but it's a personal take by the author (it was his grandmother):

'The Deaths of Sybil Bolton' reprinted by Chicago Review ...

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 10:09 AM, tantric superman said:

20th anniversary made me finally get around to this.  Was terrific. (Audio)

81Y3TeKfuwL.jpg

I’m reading something related.

GUEST_f49e86a3-c961-4c1a-9e84-00f27fb69e

It’s a good read. Soufan mentions Wright and his Pulitzer Prize winning book. He also mentions that Wright wrote a profile on him for The New Yorker. Here’s that article:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2006/07/10/the-agent

A Payroll to Meet. I've read it before, but my son is 12 and decided to grab it off the shelf a couple of weeks ago, so I am rereading it now.  As someone who grew up when SMU was winning (and cheating and got the Death Penalty), it is still very interesting to me.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Audiobook of Mel Brooks' biography "All About Me!"  Only about 30% through it and it's a real peach, better than I had expected.  Mel must've recorded it within the past year and he's 95 fuckin years old.  His voice is still strong and he's sharp as ever. Very engaging with some good backstory.

2. "The Lost City of the Monkey God," by Douglas Preston (nonfiction).  Fascinating glimpse at a civilization which flourished in Central America independently of the Maya. Any intrepid traveler planning a back to nature visit to the jungles of Honduras should read this book before spending money or booking a flight. One word: Leishmaniasis (skin disease will fuck you up). Another word, hyphenated: Fer-de-Lance.  Pizen snake will also fuck you up.  It's a well done audiobook revealing the numerous obstacles to jungle archaeology, including but not limited to politics, drug cartels, deadly snakes, jaguars and diseases, monsoons, difficult topography and remote location, to name a few.  There are payoffs to the curious reader - the advent of LIDAR and the discovery of strange sculptures and totemic shit at multiple sites.  NATGEO has some articles too.

Stillness is the Key by Ryan Holiday

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfJgwUWa4Aibbk8EHAg

I thought this was really pretty terrific (audio).  Drives right down the middle of the road.  Arguably just a primer on some Stoic and Buddhist ideas, it really reads like a collection of essays just to help you get your shit together.  Great gift for a workaholic or anyone who is obsessed about something that is not good for them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Green Lights (Audio)

I guess you can get some insights from someone who is the polar opposite of you in just about 95% of you in terms of his approach to life.  Probably would have enjoyed this a bit more if it were just about the process of acting and filming and less prescription for a well lived life.  Dude is who he is.

41XXku5EQZL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On 1/12/2022 at 1:59 PM, Hozz said:

In the Heart of the Sea.  Book on the real life incident that somewhat inspired Moby Dick.  Whaling was some brutal, hardcore shit.

Really solid story and great job describing the intricacies of the job. I’d get stoned, turn lights off besides a couple candles and audio book it through my stereo. 

6 hours ago, bluto said:

Really solid story and great job describing the intricacies of the job. I’d get stoned, turn lights off besides a couple candles and audio book it through my stereo. 

Have you read any Erik Larson?  All of his stuff is pretty good but Devil in the White City and Dead Wake are particularly good IMO.

10 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I'm stoked.  The only Erik Larson I have read is Isaac's Storm, and that was fucking fantastic. 

I almost mentioned that one too, that is my third favorite of his.  His most recent is Churchill/Battle of Britain and also pretty great.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 7:42 AM, Hozz said:

Have you read any Erik Larson?  All of his stuff is pretty good but Devil in the White City and Dead Wake are particularly good IMO.

Yep… garden of beasts, dead wake, and white city. For some reason storm never grabbed me. 

On 1/18/2022 at 4:46 PM, CycleTex87 said:

The Lincoln Highway: A Novel

I'm about halfway through.  Honestly, it's not quite as engaging as his other books.  Maybe it picks up steam on the second half.

Excited about this one.  Hopefully it picks up.  I loved Gentleman and was surprised by how much I enjoyed Rules of Civility.

I'm reading this one. 

168642.jpg

On 1/24/2022 at 1:00 AM, bluto said:

Really gave Lincoln’s highway a shot but it just didn’t come close to the interesting characters of G in Moscow. And the little brother is an ass whip 

I've finished the book.  It was engaging to the end.  The ending leaves room for part 2 in my opinion.  Beautifully written and crafted novel, some poignant moments, and not as good as Gentleman in Moscow.

16 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I've finished the book.  It was engaging to the end.  The ending leaves room for part 2 in my opinion.  Beautifully written and crafted novel, some poignant moments, and not as good as Gentleman in Moscow.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:00 AM, bluto said:

Really gave Lincoln’s highway a shot but it just didn’t come close to the interesting characters of G in Moscow. And the little brother is an ass whip 

Good to know. GIM is one of my favorite books of the last 10 years.  I'll adjust my expectations on Lincoln Highway and hopefully I'll be rewarded. I did the same with Rules of Civility and it worked out 

• Hook 'Em 1

I just finished Lincoln Highway and liked it but not as much as Gentleman in Moscow. Can’t decide if I like the ending or not. Would love to discuss it more but obviously don’t want any spoilers here.

+rep to NorthLooo for informing me that Peter Heller has a new book out. I’ve loved all of his books so far. The Guide will go in my short list.

And yes, Erik Larson is fantastic.