Whatcha reading?

DocZaius

5 hours ago, NoName said:

he's a damn good writer. highly recommend the Danny Ryan books, highly recommend the cartel/power of the dog series and highly recommend The Force (which was optioned to be a movie and still hasn't happened yet)

oh hell yeah. i started with the power of the dog/cartel series and read the Force as well. i liked the boone daniels books too  winslow is awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/10/2024 at 10:32 PM, Delta Charlie said:

Just finished the last of Don Winslow's 3 novel set about Danny Ryan.  "City in Ruins" closes out the story and is Winslow's final book.  All his stuff is great, but this series was excellent. 

On 4/11/2024 at 7:43 AM, NoName said:

he's a damn good writer. highly recommend the Danny Ryan books, highly recommend the cartel/power of the dog series and highly recommend The Force (which was optioned to be a movie and still hasn't happened yet)

Just started The Power of the Dog based on these recommendations. Very good so far. 

• Hook 'Em 1

image.png.2dbff196bef1e3327631d0595ed0569b.png

If you are over 40 and interested in feeling like you're 65 when you are 80 I highly recommend this.  A very straightforward and actionable book about minimizing your risk of the ailments we often assume are inevitable in old age (heart disease, obesity, alzheimer's, etc).  I think anyone that reads this is likely to adopt several of the clear recommendations.  

• Hook 'Em 3

On 4/10/2024 at 10:32 PM, Delta Charlie said:

Just finished the last of Don Winslow's 3 novel set about Danny Ryan.  "City in Ruins" closes out the story and is Winslow's final book.  All his stuff is great, but this series was excellent. 

I’ve read most of his stuff and have just dived into his “surf” books. So far, so good. 

On 4/11/2024 at 1:42 PM, Delta Charlie said:

oh hell yeah. i started with the power of the dog/cartel series and read the Force as well. i liked the boone daniels books too  winslow is awesome. 

What is the correct order of the border trilogy?  is it the border, the force, the cartel?

On 4/13/2024 at 12:56 PM, Bodhi said:

image.png.2dbff196bef1e3327631d0595ed0569b.png

If you are over 40 and interested in feeling like you're 65 when you are 80 I highly recommend this.  A very straightforward and actionable book about minimizing your risk of the ailments we often assume are inevitable in old age (heart disease, obesity, alzheimer's, etc).  I think anyone that reads this is likely to adopt several of the clear recommendations.  

Might save your life, too.  Peter Attia's podcast convinced me to get a calcium screening, which led to a stent placement.

• Hook 'Em 1

A Fever in the Heartland by Timothy Egan (2023)

Kind of wanted it to be more about the Klan in Indiana and less about a murder trial.  But a nice read (audible). 

Kind of scarily timely book in certain ways.

S5ZUG-.gif

If anyone has a rec on a good overall history of the klan, please drop it.

Slow Down by Kohei Saito, Japanese wannabe Karl Marx.  He thinks we in the Global North should all feel terribly guilty for our gluttonously destructive and imperialist lives that exploit all the sufferers in the Global South; and that as a result capitalism should be dismantled and replaced with communism.  Guess he forgot to ask China.

Finished the Herold book above, Disillusioned: Five Families And The Unraveling Of America's Suburbs (2024). IMO, this was a good read. The author takes five families from various locations and socioeconomic and racial demographics, and explores the scene both large and small that has been unfolding since WWII. He got the interest in writing it when he went back to his own childhood home outlying Pittsburgh and he interweaves the history of each of the five communities, families, and the nation into the piece. Whether you're urban, rural, or a burb dweller, it's a good read.

Just for extra:

The five families (pseudonyms were used save one) were from Penn Hills (PA), Gwinnett County (GA), Evanston (IL), Compton (CA), and Lucas, (TX). The family from Lucas used to live in Plano, and then moved to Lucas.

On 2/25/2024 at 2:33 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Since it had been mentioned here, I checked this one out and have begun reading:

image.png.b4b4984276f14a0760221e0e045c8389.png

Finishing it up.  It was fine.  Depressing on many levels, but LW is such a good writer it moved along lickety split.  Yeah, it was kinda name-droppy but those are his friends, so there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just finished this:

image.png.cbf47cdfdd3066a1e3cb7f81112caf47.png

A minute-by-minute account of a potential North Korean nuclear strike on the U.S., the subsequent response, and the aftermath. Pretty chilling to think about how quickly the world as we know it could end. This quote from Nikita Khrushchev stood out: "the living will envy the dead."

Seems to be well researched and entirely plausible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Has anyone begun/finished the new Amor Towles book “Table for Two”?

Nope. The Goodreads reviews are really positive and it's on my list.  AGIM was great.  Really loved RofC.  Couldn't finish Lincoln Highway. Didn't care for that at all. 

On 4/23/2024 at 8:53 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

Just finished this:

image.png.cbf47cdfdd3066a1e3cb7f81112caf47.png

A minute-by-minute account of a potential North Korean nuclear strike on the U.S., the subsequent response, and the aftermath. Pretty chilling to think about how quickly the world as we know it could end. This quote from Nikita Khrushchev stood out: "the living will envy the dead."

Seems to be well researched and entirely plausible. 

She was on Dan Carlin's pod a couple of weeks ago. She was a really good interview.

Terrifying to think about. 

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Nope. The Goodreads reviews are really positive and it's on my list.  AGIM was great.  Really loved RofC.  Couldn't finish Lincoln Highway. Didn't care for that at all. 

Same for me regarding his other books. I thought Lincoln Highway was a dud.  Thought AGIM was perhaps the one of the best books I ever read.