10.21.19 Coach Herman press conference Noon

bigup2dahorns

27 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

The fact that you're doubling down on it--while acknowleding our CB play has improved but asserting that improvement is a symptom of coaching incompetence--puts you right around bivalve on the critical thinking scale.

I didn't acknowledge that at all. What I said is that the same poor play is hidden because everything else has gotten worse. CB play is better relative only to the failures everywhere else. It is less obvious because teams don't need to just target our corners anymore. Instead, they can do pretty much anything because we are bad at defending everything.  I see our struggles at performing fundamental and basic tasks on defensive, special teams, and even offense as related. Given that lack of execution of the basics is endemic of our entire team, I find it questionable to blame all of our defensive woes on a guy who has had mostly competent defensive play everywhere he has been.

I'd love for you to do one of your gif threads highlighting the improvement you've seen. 

P.S. thanks for being an asshole. Maybe use your advanced critical thinking the next time you think all "those" players look alike.

51 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

so #5 is playing zone and the deep guy decides he's going to make sure he's there to stop the out route in case the other 2 guys miss the tackle.  christ on a cracker that is an unreal picture.

I don't think Jamison is playing zone at all. More than likely it was man and a banjo or "switch" call was made and Overshown should have taken on the #1 receiver in this case. 

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

Bateman is basically the Mike Leach of defense.  He only has six "plays"/blitzes, but he reps them from a variety of formations.  So his guys know exactly what to do on any given play, because they only have to learn six things.  But they rep variations on formation over and over again, so the guy who was LB last play may be Safety the next play and DE on third down.  So it confuses the offense as to what blitzer might be coming, who to block, and who not to block.

I have two problems with Bateman. 

1. His defense started out strong this year but has regressed since...according to adjustedstats.com, UNC's highest ranking on D is 44th in points-per-game with 24.34 a game...Texas is at 24.74 already, so not much of an improvement.
  2. Mack Brown hired him

I'd be all about trying to poach Heacock because he's already shown he can have success against Big 12 teams.

4 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I don't think Jamison is playing zone at all. More than likely it was man and a banjo or "switch" call was made and Overshown should have taken on the #1 receiver in this case. 

understood.  I was using zone as a basic point that #5 lets the guy he's lined up on go and takes the guy coming into his area on the switch route.  its man that plays kind of like zone.

I watched the replay and I am still not fully sure who screwed up but the safety(i'm just calling him that because he was the deepest player) was never going to get to the inside receiver who ran the out if it was thrown anyway. either bad alignment or a complete screwup.  the safety sees the QB look to the out and just says "fuck it that is where the ball is going, I'm gone."  90% sure the safety is not supposed to do what he did.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

so #5 is playing zone and the deep guy decides he's going to make sure he's there to stop the out route in case the other 2 guys miss the tackle.  christ on a cracker that is an unreal picture.

I've seen better defense being played on those old vibrating football games where the players just move in random directions

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

understood.  I was using zone as a basic point that #5 lets the guy he's lined up on go and takes the guy coming into his area on the switch route.  its man that plays kind of like zone.

I watched the replay and I am still not fully sure who screwed up but the safety(i'm just calling him that because he was the deepest player) was never going to get to the inside receiver who ran the out if it was thrown anyway. either bad alignment or a complete screwup.  the safety sees the QB look to the out and just says "fuck it that is where the ball is going, I'm gone."  90% sure the safety is not supposed to do what he did.

@Burt Macklin knows more than I do but I think a lot of times deep inside the red zone you just play straight man and if the offense decides to set a pick, it becomes harder due offensive pass interference abd basic timing of the route. So a switch call could have been completely called off and they play straight man or maybe not. It seems tho that Jamison and Overshown did not communicate, imo. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I didn't acknowledge that at all. What I said is that the same poor play is hidden because everything else has gotten worse. CB play is better relative only to the failures everywhere else. It is less obvious because teams don't need to just target our corners anymore. Instead, they can do pretty much anything because we are bad at defending everything.  I see our struggles at performing fundamental and basic tasks on defensive, special teams, and even offense as related. Given that lack of execution of the basics is endemic of our entire team, I find it questionable to blame all of our defensive woes on a guy who has had mostly competent defensive play everywhere he has been.

I'd love for you to do one of your gif threads highlighting the improvement you've seen. 

P.S. thanks for being an asshole. Maybe use your advanced critical thinking the next time you think all "those" players look alike.

Here are some examples, you dumbass piece of shit.  Any more response on our CB play the last few weeks?

9j5FJW.gif

mjeXu1.gif

tWg_I7.gif

QC0_Fs.gif

rIXr_O.gif

16 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I love all the speculation on new DCs. If, as I suspect, play improves substantially over the next six games (remaing regular season plus post-season), Orlando ain't goin' anywhere. Keep in mind, play can improve substantially enough for Herman to keep him, while still remaining questionable enough for the rest of us to want to lynch him.

Meanwhile, your top ten defenses / coordinators per AdjustedStats.com by adjusted points per possession are:

Ohio St. -- Greg Mattison
Wisconsin -- Jim Leonhard
Georgia -- Dan Lanning
Auburn -- Kevin Steele
Clemson -- Brent Venables
Penn St. -- Brent Pry
Oregon -- Andy Avalos
Utah -- Morgan Scalley
Iowa -- Phil Parker
Navy -- Brian Newberry

Mattison is from Wisconsin, coached at Michigan, is clearly a B1G guy. However, he was Charlie Strong's "Co-Defensive Coordinator" at Florida in 2006. So there's that.

Leonhard played safety in the NFL for 10 years and has been really good with coaching the secondary. He's at his alma mater, but he's only 36, so if he's going to step away to go somewhere else before a triumphant return as HC there some day, this might be a good time to poach him.

Lanning? Pfffft.

Steele? Double pfffft.

Venables? Yeah, not gonna happen.

Pry? He's been with Franklin forever. Plus, he has cooties.

Avalos is practically Orlando, only with a Boise State "kitchen sink" pedigree. I would not put a whole lot of stock into his limited results so far if you're wanting to differentiate him from what we currently have.

Scalley? Ute for life, seemingly, though like Leonhard, it might be worth seeing if he wants a few years away from his mothership before a triumphant return home.

Phil Parker was hired by Kirk Ferentz, which is enough justification to me to throw away his resume.

And Brian Newberry at Navy was really good over the last four years at Kennesaw State... running the exact same defensive scheme as, wait for it, Todd Orlando.

Drink responsibly, tip your waitresses.

Nice.

One point I'd like to add is that playing defense in the B1G is pretty simple, all the offenses besides Ohio State and Pedo State suck shit.

3 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Best coverage all season.

5 clips and Jamison was 3 of them. That leaping int was a great recovery play, but he was beat.

Great play only made possible by an under-thrown wobbler....receiver had to start chopping his steps to come back to it.

Athletic play - not good CB play.