Javonne Shepherd is in the portal

texifornia

3 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

No, I'm saying the problems with depth at a number of positions are going to be troublesome because, for whatever reason, they aren't being addressed through recruiting. Sumlin's highest ranked class had 32 members in it and of the members in that class, more served time in prison than saw meaningful playing time on the field.

Having a recruiting class fall apart less than a year after signing day foretells depth problems in the near future.

I'm surprised I'm having to explain the basics of roster management to you, but at least now you know.

So we've lost two guys from the class that weren't literally totally unforeseeable medical issues (and Floyd might come back - who knows with Derrian, we're all just happy he's alive and enrolled)

McCoy was a (very) fun late pickup at a position where we'd already signed his replacement - at WR we had Jake Smith (Gatorade NPOY), Marcus Washington (AA game MVP), Kennedy Lewis (hyper athletic project).

Shepherd's flakiness was well known and we took a shot because he's so talented. At tackle we took Tyler Johnson (uber bluechip), Isaiah Hookfin (bluechip), and Willie Tyler (huge project).

The class numbers were fine everywhere except RB.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Delete McCoy, Brown, Floyd, and now Shepherd form the 2019 rankings (to reflect players from the class that might actually contribute) and the 2019 class drops to 13th.

All in all, recruiting isn't looking to be one of Tom Herman's strong suits.

aggy thread is that way. You're better over there

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I don't care why they aren't ever going to play for the team, I am just saying that after all is said and done, there are emerging holes in the UT roster that will probably remain for the future. And you end up with holes because of issues related to recruiting. It isn't just "bad luck."

The medical problems literally are exactly that! The LB class would have been great if Floyd could play. RB was a shitshow that has been hashed out many times on the recruiting board, but this class looks like it will rebuild that depth.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Delete McCoy, Brown, Floyd, and now Shepherd form the 2019 rankings (to reflect players from the class that might actually contribute) and the 2019 class drops to 13th.

Stick to aggy. You're completely clueless about football.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I don't care why they aren't ever going to play for the team, I am just saying that after all is said and done, there are emerging holes in the UT roster that will probably remain for the future. And you end up with holes because of issues related to recruiting. It isn't just "bad luck."

what is Herman supposed to do about DGF developing spinal stenosis, or Brown having a stroke? These things don't tend to show up on scouting reports.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

So you’re doubling down? The two non-injury guys (who are stilll on the team) are a WR and a project OL. We are more than fine at both of those positions.

Texas is fine at RB and LB?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Losing a highly rated OT who should have been a RS FR next season will mean nothing moving forward?

Ok, cool. Hook 'Em.

You live in your world, I will live in reality.

Losing highly rated recruits before the end of their freshman season isn't the way to build depth. That is the reality of the situation.

But tell yourself the 2019 recruiting class already being down to 22 means nothing moving forward if it helps you sleep at night.

• Fuck You 8

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

So we've lost two guys from the class that weren't literally totally unforeseeable medical issues (and Floyd might come back - who knows with Derrian, we're all just happy he's alive and enrolled)

McCoy was a (very) fun late pickup at a position where we'd already signed his replacement - at WR we had Jake Smith (Gatorade NPOY), Marcus Washington (AA game MVP), Kennedy Lewis (hyper athletic project).

Shepherd's flakiness was well known and we took a shot because he's so talented. At tackle we took Tyler Johnson (uber bluechip), Isaiah Hookfin (bluechip), and Willie Tyler (huge project).

The class numbers were fine everywhere except RB.

Jesus Christ this.  As happens every year.  With virtually every program.  Or is it just some giant fucking mystery how we might graduate a dozen or so seniors each year yet take classes of 23-25+ YOY?  The portal is also new, giving players an untold amount of options never experienced before.  It's only going to accelerate at a pace commensurate with the increased level of waffling and shennanigans we've seen in recent recruiting with the caps, tweets, etc.  Now kids can ink the paper, and then still leave.

Heart: Probably heard Cosmi wants to stay through his senior year and hold down a spot.

Head: Probably heard Orlando is coming bank next year.

Who knows with him. He obviously did well over the summer and was trying to fight OU a week ago so it isn't like he's checked out. I hope he does well wherever he goes, if he does leave. He'll have to burn a year of eligibility sitting out. Maybe he can be convinced to return. Casey Thompson did, and lord knows this guy's mind is prone to change.

If it's anything involving aggy tampering then they absolutely should expose it but it isn't like Texas doesn't have guys that worked with FWK. Probably just a case of the fact that he is on a multi year track to compete for a spot really setting in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Texas is fine at RB and LB?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Losing a highly rated OT who should have been a RS FR next season will mean nothing moving forward?

Ok, cool. Hook 'Em.

Losing highly rated recruits before the end of their freshman season isn't the way to build depth. That is the reality of the situation.

But tell yourself the 2019 recruiting class already being down to 22 means nothing moving forward if it helps you sleep at night.

I guess Nick Saban is a shit recruiter since they are starting two true freshmen linebackers. He should have known that his first round linebacker would get injured during fall camp. What poor planning on his part to let players leave for the draft, flake out, and get injured, I'm so glad we never hired him because he is a shit recruiter.

11 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Ok, cool. Hook 'Em.

The 2 medical guys are the LB and RB. This can’t possibly be blamed on Herman by anyone but a moron. The 2 that entered the portal are a WR and an OL, and yes we’re fine there. I don’t think you follow recruiting very closely.

17 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Ok, cool. Hook 'Em.

What do Sul Ross and E. King Gill think about our recruiting?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kid goes through fall camp, doesn’t get in 2 deep, decides to transfer. This is common and happens with a lot of freshman that we don’t hear about because they are talked off the ledge. Herman even mentioned a few weeks ago that a freshman asked him why he wasn’t playing and Herman had to explain that the player in front of him was a future top NFL draft pick. You can guess that’s Cosmi.

5 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Portal will continue to cause havoc on cfb rosters and make recruiting a nightmare.   Just another small nail in cfb's coffin, imo. 

Portal is a zero sum game.  You think the portal put a nail in OU, LSU, or OSU's coffin?

Edited by Gene Parmesan

49 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

So #3 class in 2018

#3 class in 2019 (ok #13 if you don't account for anyone else's attrition/injuries except for ours)

#5 class in 2020 (with potential additions)

#2 class in 2021 (obviously, a VERY long time until signing day, but off to a great start)

But recruiting isn't one of his strong suits because Brown had a stroke and Floyd has cervical stenosis? Yea, ok. Damn him for not forseeing this and signing backup options.

10 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Portal will continue to cause havoc on cfb rosters and make recruiting a nightmare.   Just another small nail in cfb's coffin, imo. 

If child molestation, rape and domestic violence don’t ruin the sport, I’m sure it can survive the transfer portal.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Ok, cool. Hook 'Em.

this has been stated already, but how is Herman responsible for the 2 injuries?  McCoy?  He was already enrolled at USC before he committed/came to Texas so that one imo was just icing on the cake (not the one Charlie Strong left to be baked).  Sheppard?  Half of this board had to talk themselves back into the camp of "he could be a great talent here but needs to put in work" when Sheppard committed because before that everybody was over his shit and we had highly rated tackles already as part of the class.  Recruiting may not be for you if something like this will have you freaking out.  Stick to aggy, it is what you do best.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm shocked, shocked to see a bunch of stupid, thoughtless takes present on the football board. It's the only thing less surprising that Javonne Shepherd hitting the transfer portal. 

Herman is a dumb, dumb motherfucker for failing to check the "18 Year Old HS Kid Will or Won't Have a Stroke" section on Brown's recruiting report. 

giphy.gif

look, I'm not saying I could be an offensive coordinator because I'm so good at Madden, but in all my years of playing Dynasty on NCAA Football on Playstation, I never lost a recruit to stroke

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Anyone bet aggy has been contacting him? They may have finally realized they don't just need guards.

aggy doesn't realize anything.  It's the hallmark of all that is aggy.  Of course, they may have still tampered but nothing to do with reality or realizing shit. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

naw, that goes to the guy with 2000 posts who said the Texas offense is the problem.

Oooh, nice jab!

Too bad I never said they're THE problem tho. I'm not sure you could boil it down to a singular problem, either. Where you (and several others who missed the point) and I differ is in saying/ acknowledging there is a problem on offense. But whatever, we're ______ in _______ per game so clearly I don't know what I'm seeing (first fucking half of the game mind you).

Sucks about Sheppard. Thought if he kept patient he would be a monster. 

46 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Or he can go to aggy, not worry about his weight, and play anyway.

He will make them better as well, which sucks.  Maybe it’ll help clog up and sway a ‘21 OT they would have gotten (looking for some kind of silver lining). Also, what does this do for Karen and her ovaries on the table?