Javonne Shepherd is in the portal

texifornia

20 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

He will make them better as well, which sucks.  

I hope he ends up at aggy. He needs a couple more years of development and he won't last a couple years waiting for a starting role. It's a wasted scholarship. 

This is why this board was hoping Shepherd would go aggy from the start. 

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I hope he ends up at aggy. He needs a couple more years of development and he won't last a couple years waiting for a starting role. It's a wasted scholarship. 

Their line is absolutely atrocious.  I’m pretty sure he’d get some playing time, at a minimum.  There was a sliver of hope that if aggy completely shit the bed, Demas might maybe look around, this will kill that.  I wouldn’t say it’s wasted, they are still recruiting plenty of jags. They’ll be replacing some 3* receiver/cube with an OT that could help their laughably bad line, and at the same time keeping (an already sure) 5*.  And at the same time “picking the tu players they want” (looch will have some dipshit narrative like this).  

We don’t need this cancer, but I’d much rather he rot at Sam Houston. 

Edited by fattyflattie

That portal gives true freshmen the chance to hit the playstation reset button.....especially if they decide they're afraid of incoming talent numbers and/or they've completely fucked off their class work and are about to post a 0.8 for the first semester

Edited by rungeflash
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

That portal gives true freshmen the chance to hit the playstation reset button.....especially if they decide they're afraid of incoming talent numbers and/or they've completely fucked off their class work and are about to post a 0.8 for the first semester

wonder if they might put some kind of qualifier that you have to be a student in good academic standing at your current school to enter the portal and you can't enter the portal until after your first semester is complete.

2 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

So #3 class in 2018

#3 class in 2019 (ok #13 if you don't account for anyone else's attrition/injuries except for ours)

#5 class in 2020 (with potential additions)

#2 class in 2021 (obviously, a VERY long time until signing day, but off to a great start)

But recruiting isn't one of his strong suits because Brown had a stroke and Floyd has cervical stenosis? Yea, ok. Damn him for not forseeing this and signing backup options.

The quality of any recruiting class is how many quality players it puts on the field.

And your claim is that Texas doesn't have any glaring weaknesses in its 2-deep because recruiting has been so strong. Ok, Cool. Hook 'Em.

Let me give you a little help in assessing the wisdom of decisions that play out over a period of 4-5 years. Don't judge the value of a stock pick on the day you buy it. Look back in retrospect and see how your decision played out before you declare yourself a savant.

When all is said and done, look back at the metrics you used when you made your initial decision and ask yourself, knowing what you know now, how would you have adjusted your selection criteria in retrospect?

Texas has problems with its 2-deep right now. Based on how the 2019 recruiting class is playing out, Texas will have glaring weaknesses moving forward.

You can tell yourself the Texas 2-deep moving forward at every position is strong (no pun intended) because of the recruiting classes Tom Herman has signed, but I would say Texas will struggle over the next two years because, in the end, the recruiting evaluations failed to put sufficient quality players in the 2-deep.

Time will tell which of us is correct. 2019 is starting to feel like a disappointing recruiting class. Blame it on a lack of player development if you want and tell yourself the recruiting is granite. But the product on the field tells me there is a HUGE problem somewhere. The lack of depth is what troubles me. Did you see the after program on LHN post-Kansas? "When we had injuries or whatever, it was next man up. Where is next man up on this team?"

'Next man up" can't happen for Texas right now. because Texas doesn't have the roster depth. Whether you want to admit it or not.

You remind me of the guy who got divorced eight times and insisted he wasn't bad at making evaluations, that he just needed to try more often.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I don't visit the Football board much, but is it always this obvious that RD is an aggy troll?

Hold on to that thought. It provides a wealth of information into the insight you have to offer.

The insistence that Tom Herman can do no wrong is far more aggy than to point out that 15% of Tom Herman's 2019 recruiting class is already a bust.

Down to 22 possible positive contributors in a recruiting class halfway through their freshman season screams that the 2019 class will not prove to be enough to get Texas to the next level.

But feel free to keep on insisting the worst team in all of FBS football in punt returns, the leader in FBS football in missed tackles, and the leader in FBS in absolutely nothing positive is on the right track.

Tome Herman, in his third season, is a 2.5 point dog to TCU, and TCU sucks this year. How is that not a wake up slap in the face? People are willing to accept millions in bets that Texas can't be TCU.

There are HUGE warning signs that a lot of people are demanding others also ignore.

Edited by Randolph Duke

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Coming from the "Herman should have planned for Derrian Brown to almost die" guy, I think I'll be okay with this.

No, he should have planned for sufficient depth at a key position that if one didn't work out, the program wouldn't be set back significantly.

I don't keep a fire extinguisher in my home because I am clairvoyantly foreseeing any particular event. I keep one in my home because I reasonably foresee a number of events could occur and I don't want to be unprepared should any of them happen.

Holy shit he's tripling down on "the class sucks because a luxury take and a post-NSD signee flaked out and the staff doesn't eval for future strokes/stenosis". This is magical.

Caleb Johnson was the other guy who left - the staff found Juwan Mitchell suuuuper late and snapped him up and he straight-up won that competition. That was if anything a validation of the staff's never-say-die approach.

The 2018 and 2019 classes have been good. They're also the youngest guys on the team. They're also being hamstrung by horribad-to-mediocre defensive and ST coaching.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

And your claim is that Texas doesn't have any glaring weaknesses in its 2-deep because recruiting has been so strong. Ok, Cool. Hook 'Em.

You seem to be really good at taking words that were literally never said and then telling other people that that's what they said. Don't put words in my mouth.

All that I intimated was that I disagree with you including Brown and Floyd in your evidence that Herman is not a good recruiter despite evidence to the contrary. I LITERALLY never said a word about our depth chart.

To me, recruiting means identifying talent that you want and convincing them to come to the University of Texas. Tom Herman seems to be doing a pretty good job (obviously not perfect) in that aspect. How is the coaching staff developing them? I guess we'll "look back in retrospect" after their development has played out over 4-5 years.

Plus, this staff has shown multiple times that they are willing to go to JUCO for short term fixes of "glaring weaknesses", including at both LB and RB in the past.

What else is the staff supposed to do?(recruiting wise. Development wise deserves an entirely different conversation on this board)

Edited by TheBryMan81

We should sign 3 people at every position every year to mitigate any potential health concerns or injury issues.

The rb situation is a fair point, but we’re fine even though our 5 star athlete turned rb has missed basically the entire season. Brown probably doesn’t impact that too much.

Shepherd wasn’t going to figure into the rotation for a few years.

Floyd hurts, but in this scheme who knows.

McCoy really isn’t worth a mention.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Delete McCoy, Brown, Floyd, and now Shepherd form the 2019 rankings (to reflect players from the class that might actually contribute) and the 2019 class drops to 13th.

All in all, recruiting isn't looking to be one of Tom Herman's strong suits.

Yes we are the only school that has transfers.   Also you want to pin brown and Floyd on Herman?  Did he share his vodka and g2 with your mom or something?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Hold on to that thought. It provides a wealth of information into the insight you have to offer.

The insistence that Tom Herman can do no wrong is far more aggy than to point out that 15% of Tom Herman's 2019 recruiting class is already a bust.

Down to 22 possible positive contributors in a recruiting class halfway through their freshman season screams that the 2019 class will not prove to be enough to get Texas to the next level.

But feel free to keep on insisting the worst team in all of FBS football in punt returns, the leader in FBS football in missed tackles, and the leader in FBS in absolutely nothing positive is on the right track.

Tome Herman, in his third season, is a 2.5 point dog to TCU, and TCU sucks this year. How is that not a wake up slap in the face? People are willing to accept millions in bets that Texas can't be TCU.

There are HUGE warning signs that a lot of people are demanding others also ignore.

I think you're either stubbornly doubling down on a failed position, or just getting a bit hysterical.

Nobody has said our two deep is filled out in all areas to where we want it. It's a work in progress still trying to recover from some bad decisions spread out over many years. But a reasonable person doesn't lose it over the fact of two injuries in a class and two transfers. And its insane to think one class is the answer to getting us back to the next level. That is, again, a multi-year process.

Our defense isn't good right now. We still, however, have a winning record. We are an underdog to TCU. That doesn't, however, mean we will lose. Herman is a work in progress who may or may not be a long term answer. But Rome wasn't built in a day, and you should probably develop a hobby besides wetting your pants on the internet because some freshman transferred.  

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's atrocious but they're also returning almost everyone. If they're starting somebody like Shepherd at tackle next year they're screwed regardless. 

He can't play next year if he transfers, so there's that. 

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

wonder if they might put some kind of qualifier that you have to be a student in good academic standing at your current school to enter the portal and you can't enter the portal until after your first semester is complete.

Where do all the kids go who fail out, do they have to go to a community or junior college?   Can another school with lower standards like aggy pick them up?   Woundering if blue chips who flunk can hit portal to try and find a soft landing. 

32 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

He can't play next year if he transfers, so there's that. 

Where do all the kids go who fail out, do they have to go to a community or junior college?   Can another school with lower standards like aggy pick them up?   Woundering if blue chips who flunk can hit portal to try and find a soft landing. 

it your failing your 301 kinesiology or intro the theater coarse, what soft landing is there?

2 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

You seem to be really good at taking words that were literally never said and then telling other people that that's what they said. Don't put words in my mouth.

All that I intimated was that I disagree with you including Brown and Floyd in your evidence that Herman is not a good recruiter despite evidence to the contrary. I LITERALLY never said a word about our depth chart.

To me, recruiting means identifying talent that you want and convincing them to come to the University of Texas. Tom Herman seems to be doing a pretty good job (obviously not perfect) in that aspect. How is the coaching staff developing them? I guess we'll "look back in retrospect" after their development has played out over 4-5 years.

Plus, this staff has shown multiple times that they are willing to go to JUCO for short term fixes of "glaring weaknesses", including at both LB and RB in the past.

What else is the staff supposed to do?(recruiting wise. Development wise deserves an entirely different conversation on this board)

Do we know where RD is on the spectrum? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is just one man’s opinion, but you guys are some crazy motherfuckers coming at RandolphDuke like this. You are fucking moments away from seeing him petition the state legislature to have you formally removed from the University of Texas in every possible way. He’ll have you scrubbed from the alumni database. He’s going to have your transcripts removed and disappeared, like Matt Damon in The Departed. He’s going to petition to have immamac remove each of you from the Surly system. He’ll have you censured by the governor himself.

The state of Texas deserves better than The Posters United Against Randolph Duke On Surly. 

Let the record show that I’m a big fan of Randolph and the Chinese government.  Don’t want to piss either one off.  

• Haha 1

The portal is just another thing that the best coaches will use to their benefit. Hell Riley is already using it to never have to recruit HS QBs.

It reduces the importance of HS recruiting if you do it right. You lose some guys to the portal but you go and poach guys other good programs have coached up for a year or two to fill the holes in your roster. 

15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

When you start paying closer attention, he’s not really all that impressive when he stays in his lane either. 

RD is an insufferable twat and an embarrassment to Texas fans everywhere.  I simple Google search isn't difficult to validate this:

There's a 106 page thread on them laughing at him with links to many, many other threads where he continues to embarrass himself

Or an Indianapolis Colts thread where he sued Aggy.  There are many others, but this one is particularly bad.  

You dug so fucking deep you managed to get doxed and outed by the ags (which I won't post).  Jesus man, just fucking stop.  This sophomoric nonsense needs to stop.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 3