MNF: Patriots @ Jets

spystud13

As much as I'd love to give Brady all the credit for making all these fucking spares look good (and he certainly deserves quite a bit), random nobodies step up year after year for New England.  On this drive alone, backup RB makes 30 yard tough back shoulder catch, 40 year old tight end comes right off the street and makes a 4th down catch, and a receiver who wouldn't break most teams' 5-deep gets his feet down in the back of the endzone.

Just now, aggie08 said:

As much as I'd love to give Brady all the credit for making all these fucking spares look good (and he certainly deserves quite a bit), random nobodies step up year after year for New England.  On this drive alone, backup RB makes 30 yard tough back shoulder catch, 40 year old tight end comes right off the street and makes a 4th down catch, and a receiver who wouldn't break most teams' 5-deep gets his feet down in the back of the endzone.

And you think none of that has to do with Brady?

Just now, ztejas said:

And you think none of that has to do with Brady?

Is that even close to what I said? I said that he doesn't deserve ALL the credit. I'm more than happy giving him the majority of it given that he's the one constant, but dudes still have to make great plays when given the opportunity.

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

They just all of the sudden "step up" in Foxboro after getting cut from other teams practice squads?

Okay.

• Like 1

Just now, aggie08 said:

Is that even close to what I said? I said that he doesn't deserve ALL the credit. I'm more than happy giving him the majority of it given that he's the one constant, but dudes still have to make great plays when given the opportunity.

That's fair, I just think it's what great quarterbacks do. Every RB or WR in the NFL is an elite player. It's up to the QB to make them look good. Peyton was incredible in Indy at turning no name WRs into 100 yard per game threats. 

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Fair enough. I'm not exactly the most unbiased person on this board when it comes to the Pats.

6 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

They just all of the sudden "step up" in Foxboro after getting cut from other teams practice squads?

Okay.

I may be an even bigger Pats/Brady homer than you are.  I've been touting Brady as the best QB in football since like 2005, way back when Peyton's counting stats dwarfed his.  I wasn't trying to take anything away from him.  No one makes scrubs look as good as Brady.  Just pointing out how often random castoffs play above themselves in New England.

Edited by aggie08

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

I may be an even bigger Pats/Brady homer than you are.  I've been touting Brady as the best QB in football since like 2005, way back when Peyton's counting stats dwarfed his.  I wasn't trying to take anything away from him.  No one makes scrubs look as good as Brady.  Just pointing out how often random castoffs play above themselves in New England.

Yeah, it's amazing stuff.   When your QB is the greatest to ever play yet he treats himself, and is treated, as just another player on the team, it sort of sets a nice standard and culture from the get go.  One of many reasons I love the team.

So the Patriots have been to three-straight Super Bowls (and four of the past five) despite junk defenses that Belicheck cobbled together with unheralded draft picks and waiver wire acquisitions. The unit gradually improved, year over year, until becoming among the league's best by this season.

Meanwhile, the offense doesn't seem to have slowed down by much.

It's uncanny. And in a way, remarkable to watch.

God help us.

On one hand, I'm tired of the Patriots always winning. On the other, can only admire greatness in all its forms.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

On one hand, I'm tired of the Patriots always winning. On the other, can only admire greatness in all its forms.

I hate individual sports but love the team game.  The Pats personify that as well as any team in sports history.   Nothing wrong with admiring and enjoying it.

As conservative as Belichick is on the surface he's so much more aggressive now with the defense than Flores was.  Probably more stunts and exotic blitzes through this early part of the season than Flores put forth in the entire year in '18.  Doesn't hurt that his corners shut down either side of the field.   Gives you a lot of leeway. 

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

So the Patriots have been to three-straight Super Bowls (and four of the past five) despite junk defenses that Belicheck cobbled together with unheralded draft picks and waiver wire acquisitions. The unit gradually improved, year over year, until becoming among the league's best by this season.

Meanwhile, the offense doesn't seem to have slowed down by much.

It's uncanny. And in a way, remarkable to watch.

God help us.

I think they're the best team in the league so far, but I don't think it's by as large of a margin as it seems.  Their schedule has been Charmin soft; as soon as they beat Pittsburgh, the prevailing wisdom was that they were more likely than not to start out 8-0.  But I think that their lack of anything resembling a deep threat or explosive player could ultimately hurt them.  As great as Brady is, it's tough to put together 5 or 6 12+ play drives against the better defenses in the league--or 7+ similar drives in a shootout--without the occasional 30+ yard gain.  They were dink and dunk last year too, but Gronk still had enough in the tank to open the field up a little bit.

1 minute ago, UpperWestside said:

If Sam Darnold played for some backwater franchise in a small market he'd be labeled a bust by now. This guy is atrocious.

Hes been pretty bleh. his whole team has been for 20 years. Your best playmaker is Bell, then Robby Anderson and Jameison Crowder. I also dont think teams with no real future like the Jets, shouldn't pick QB's with a first round pick unless theyre for sure hes the man. Or pick one later on. they need best available.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Gronk still had enough in the tank to open the field up a little bit.

Gronk will be back. He took off half the season and got to skip training camp. He'll play this season. I was going to go tonight to see this, but the Jets are just not worth paying any amount of money to watch. I'll gladly fork over money for the KC or Dallas game.