The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Watched this movie for the first time over the weekend and was blown away.  I’m still digesting it.  Would recommend and watch again.

the-bridge-on-the-river-kwai-ss1.jpg?ito

One of my top 10 all time movies. 
Guinness’ monologue on the bridge while watching the sunset, towards the end of the movie, was perfect. 

The first of Lean’s holy trinity of movies. Lawerence would follow, and Dr. Zhivago would finish it out. Truly amazing run. 

9 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

The first of Lean’s holy trinity of movies. Lawerence would follow, and Dr. Zhivago would finish it out. Truly amazing run. 

lawrence is still my favorite of the 3, but it's close.

if you can see any of these at a theater that shows old movies, it's worth it.  lean was built for the big screen.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

lawrence is still my favorite of the 3, but it's close.

if you can see any of these at a theater that shows old movies, it's worth it.  lean was built for the big screen.

also (to quote myself), i hadn't seen lawrence of arabia in about a decade, and dragged a buddy who had never seen it to a screening a few years ago.  and on the way, i told him it was 3:45 or however long, and he almost jumped out of the car.  after the movie, he was like, "that was so ridiculous, and no way i could watch it at home, too much shit going on."  no intermission, and still flew by.  so good.

i only add this, because i have no idea how old everyone is, and i know some of the younger folk won't watch long, old movies.  gone with the wind is old and long and i fucking hate it.

probably need to watch bridge again, it's been a while.

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

also (to quote myself), i hadn't seen lawrence of arabia in about a decade, and dragged a buddy who had never seen it to a screening a few years ago.  and on the way, i told him it was 3:45 or however long, and he almost jumped out of the car.  after the movie, he was like, "that was so ridiculous, and no way i could watch it at home, too much shit going on."  no intermission, and still flew by.  so good.

i only add this, because i have no idea how old everyone is, and i know some of the younger folk won't watch long, old movies.  gone with the wind is old and long and i fucking hate it.

probably need to watch bridge again, it's been a while.

Bridge and Lawrence are absolute artistic treasures 

17 minutes ago, Grippe said:

Go to the Scribner museum on Camp Mabry - you'll learn the majority of personnel who build the real bridge were captured Texas National Guardsmen - yes the senior officers were British but the labor came mostly from men from Texas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Battalion_(Pacific,_World_War_II)

I did not know that.  Thanks for mentioning.  

10 hours ago, Grippe said:

Go to the Scribner museum on Camp Mabry - you'll learn the majority of personnel who build the real bridge were captured Texas National Guardsmen - yes the senior officers were British but the labor came mostly from men from Texas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Battalion_(Pacific,_World_War_II)

A number of those men were from Decatur. There's a Lost Battalion memorial at the Wise County courthouse.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I’ve seen Lawrence and Bridge multiple times but I don’t think I’ve ever watched Dr. Zhivago. Is it really worth seeking out?

It's visually stunning, but I've yet to make it all the way through.

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I’ve seen Lawrence and Bridge multiple times but I don’t think I’ve ever watched Dr. Zhivago. Is it really worth seeking out?

Yes.  It's a good story, especially the revolution portion of it.  It's also very relevant to today's political atmosphere (no CR).  Julie Christie is beautiful, Alec Guinness is amazing, and Omar Shariff does a great job.

The music alone makes it a must watch.  Just an overall great movie.

Feh.  Lawrence and Zhivago?  Those guys are fags.

Bridge>>>Lawrence>>>Zhivago (I know, I know, great print and all, but those last two are no fun, other than a bit of snarkiness of O'Toole and fucking Julie fucking Christie.)

Lean, especially his little Brief Encounter, is a good introduction to Powell and Pressburger

***= great

49th Parallel (1943)***

One of Our Aircraft is Missing (1943)

The bridge is worth a visit if you're ever in Kanchanaburi, Thailand. Went to the Bridge on the River Kwai Festival in 2010. Pretty impressive fireworks show on the bridge. And the cemeteries are really kept up.

First time I visited many years ago, took a stroll to the other side of the bridge....the quiet side....walked about 50 yards and stumbled upon an elephant just chilling in the grass. Not something you just walk up on everyday. Yeah, yeah...csb.

42 minutes ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

The bridge is worth a visit if you're ever in Kanchanaburi, Thailand. Went to the Bridge on the River Kwai Festival in 2010. Pretty impressive fireworks show on the bridge. And the cemeteries are really kept up.

First time I visited many years ago, took a stroll to the other side of the bridge....the quiet side....walked about 50 yards and stumbled upon an elephant just chilling in the grass. Not something you just walk up on everyday. Yeah, yeah...csb.

Psssst.....  (whispering) they blew the bridge up......

Watched this movie for the first time over the weekend and was blown away.  I’m still digesting it.  Would recommend and watch again.
the-bridge-on-the-river-kwai-ss1.jpg?itok=ecMWaWcv

Awesome movie. I remember watching it as a little kid and it was nothing like I had ever seen before. Still holds up despite it being made in the 50’s...