Cardinal Ritter College Prep (STL) cancels season

Dennis Taylor

Unbelievable story of blatant cheating and lying. Star player was supposed to be suspended for the season opener after being ejected from state title game in 2018, so the coaches made up a fake player name and the stud played under that name and a different number...

The RB was given the suspension after being ejected from last year's title game, but the team found a way to disguise Jackson, or so they thought.

Instead of his normal No. 4, he wore No. 24 and went under a freshman named "Marvin Burks." It was Jackson's tattoos that ended up giving him away. Jackson, as well as head coach Brandon Gregory, both went along with the lie that the junior didn't play, despite him actually putting up 109 yards on the ground and scoring a 56-yard touchdown in the 32-21 win. 

Gregory told the Post-Dispatch that the imaginary freshman Burks, "earned" the start and that "it was his time to play ball." Jackson also put his acting skills to the test, telling the newspaper that "watching last week, it wasn't fun at all. It gave me a spark."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/high-school-cancels-football-season-fires-every-coach-after-suspended-player-suits-up-with-different-identity/

The coach seems utterly and completely full of shit.

Gregory said after the news was made public that "a mistake was made.

He also said that he did not know Jackson should have been suspended for a game.

"That's kinda my wrongdoing of not knowing the rules and that he shouldn't have not sat out the jamboree, he should have sat out week one so that's what happened" he said.

As for the coach's defense of Jackson wearing a different jersey, Gregory said "that's a thing our kids do on the regular basis, you know, they try to change jersey numbers and sometimes don't let us know."

That still doesn't explain Jackson being listed as a freshman with a fake name.

Was the suspension a a self imposed suspension?  I mean I'm saying disobeying a self imposed suspension isn't really cheating.

I believe it was a National Association type of rule where a player must serve a suspension, for a game, the game following an ejection.

Snitches get stitches. It’s possible they didn’t know until it was too late. The coaches might have had the guy dress in their office or something and keep his helmet on all game. (I didn’t read the article so I’m talking out of my ass). But that’s the craziest mess I’ve heard of for a football game.

interview with the kid's mom...she says blame lies with adults, which i agree with. she does not, however, blame the coaches which unless I'm missing something are the "adults" that should be blamed. also the fact that it took 6 weeks for this to come out is strange, which of course means "we are sorry (that we got caught)"  . says she'e not cutting ties with the coach, even though the school obviously has, so not sure how that works. the kid will be suspended for 8 games next season as well.  no word if CAB or his posse has been in touch        

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/bill-jackson-cardinal-ritter-high-school-football-scandal-mother/63-4a33d37b-2210-45d2-8102-956278a4fef2

15 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Snitches get stitches. It’s possible they didn’t know until it was too late. The coaches might have had the guy dress in their office or something and keep his helmet on all game. (I didn’t read the article so I’m talking out of my ass). But that’s the craziest mess I’ve heard of for a football game.

Even then they could have said something after the game.  It's never too late to be a decent person.

57 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

What do you mean by complicit?  You mean the other players should have just tattled?  I bet a lot of them were like "what the fuck."

I'm not saying that his teammates should have tattled, but ending their season is not unreasonable.  I do think it sucks for the players that are now not going to get to play the rest of the season, but I also think that Cardinal Ritter is doing the right thing.

As the mom said, it is the adults that shoulder the responsibility of ensuring that they are all doing the right thing.  When the adults failed, then everyone is going to have to pay the price.  It sucks, but it's about all the school could do.

On another note, I find it highly suspect that the athletic director or any of the school administrators didn't know what was happening.  Even I, as just some parent watching my boys' high school games, would know if something like this was going on.  I'm not sure if I would say anything, but I do know that if the punishment were to forfeit the remainder of the season, it wouldn't come as a shock to me.

Edited by You don't know me
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

interview with the kid's mom...she says blame lies with adults, which i agree with. she does not, however, blame the coaches which unless I'm missing something are the "adults" that should be blamed. also the fact that it took 6 weeks for this to come out is strange, which of course means "we are sorry (that we got caught)"  . says she'e not cutting ties with the coach, even though the school obviously has, so not sure how that works. the kid will be suspended for 8 games next season as well.  no word if CAB or his posse has been in touch        

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/bill-jackson-cardinal-ritter-high-school-football-scandal-mother/63-4a33d37b-2210-45d2-8102-956278a4fef2

That is one stupid woman.

1 hour ago, You don't know me said:

I'm not saying that his teammates should have tattled, but ending their season is not unreasonable.  I do think it sucks for the players that are now not going to get to play the rest of the season, but I also think that Cardinal Ritter is doing the right thing.

As the mom said, it is the adults that shoulder the responsibility of ensuring that they are all doing the right thing.  When the adults failed, then everyone is going to have to pay the price.  It sucks, but it's about all the school could do.

On another note, I find it highly suspect that the athletic director or any of the school administrators didn't know what was happening.  Even I, as just some parent watching my boys' high school games, would know if something like this was going on.  I'm not sure if I would say anything, but I do know that if the punishment were to forfeit the remainder of the season, it wouldn't come as a shock to me.

Yeah, pretty much agree with this.  It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone on the team.  

All the players had to know, although I'm not sure what they could or should have done about it.  Ideally, "tattle" although that is admittedly a tall order, morally.

It's also a tiny school with a total enrollment of less than 500.

Edited by TwiceHorn

43 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, pretty much agree with this.  It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone on the team.  

All the players had to know, although I'm not sure what they could or should have done about it.  Ideally, "tattle" although that is admittedly a tall order, morally.

It's also a tiny school with a total enrollment of less than 500.

Small school, but a football power in the state.  In Missouri there is no separate 'class' or playoff for private schools.  They are lumped in with public schools of similar size.  Cardinal Ritter recruits football players, plain and simple.  They maintain a small enrollment and compete against public schools that are class 2.  It's a screwed up system, but whatever.