need an honest mechanic near campus

there's a shop in crestview (about 4 miles north of campus) which i take my kid's car to. he's replaced a faulty thermostat, an alternator (had to recreate a brace to save me a few hundred dollars because nissan is stupid), and the ac compressor.  all solid work and reasonably priced.

it used to be called jimmy's automotive but jimmy retired. one of his employee's bought/took over the shop. it's now called crestview auto repair.  highly recommend.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/crestview-auto-repair-austin-2

24 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

there's a shop in crestview (about 4 miles north of campus) which i take my kid's car to. he's replaced a faulty thermostat, an alternator (had to recreate a brace to save me a few hundred dollars because nissan is stupid), and the ac compressor.  all solid work and reasonably priced.

it used to be called jimmy's automotive but jimmy retired. one of his employee's bought/took over the shop. it's now called crestview auto repair.  highly recommend.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/crestview-auto-repair-austin-2

ok thanks, will check them out 

One thing I did when my kid was away at school was simply give them a code reader so that then the engine light comes on I can figure out whether it is something serious or not.  Big difference in driving 200 miles home with an O2 sensor code, and a multiple cyliner misfire code.  Gave me great peace of mind that only cost me like $60 at Harbor Freight tools for one that could give me live data as well as just read and clear codes.

Also most auto parts stores will read the codes for free.  Dealership costs $100 for the exact same service.

• 3 weeks later...