2019 NFL Season Catch All Thread -- Trades, Injuries, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Heard this on the radio Monday, but it's pretty damn funny (and totally Belichick)...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/22/belichick-exploited-loophole-in-nfl-rules-to-run-extra-time-off-the-clock/

With the Patriots leading 33-0 in the fourth quarter on Monday night, they took a delay of game penalty with their punt team on the field. After the Jets declined the penalty, the clock started again, and the Patriots’ punt team waited until they were about to get another delay of game, then false started. The Jets declined the false start penalty, too, the clock started again, and then the Patriots finally punted.

When the Patriots’ third-down play ended, 11:05 remained in the fourth quarter. By the time the Patriots actually punted on fourth down, 9:43 remained. The whole point of the play clock is that teams can’t take more than 40 seconds between plays, but the Patriots, thanks to that running clock after their penalties, took 1 minute, 22 seconds.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick was shown on television smirking on the sideline after that series of penalties, and he acknowledged after the game that the penalties allowed him to take plenty of extra time off the clock. He added that league rules probably shouldn’t allow that.

“No, it was just the way the rules are set up. We were able to run quite a bit of time off the clock without really having to do anything. That’s probably a loophole that will be closed and probably should be closed but right now it’s open,” Belichick said.

The Patriots were so far ahead in the fourth quarter that it really didn’t matter, but Belichick is right that this loophole should be closed. Teams shouldn’t be able to take more than 40 seconds off the clock between plays. Perhaps this is a rule Belichick wants to see changed, and he was waiting until just the right time to demonstrate that it needs to change.

Share this:

Josh Gordon done with the Pats.  Sorta surprised.  But I've learned over the years that nothing Belichick does should surprise. 

N'Keal Harry is supposed to be back soon. Leaves him, Sunu, Edelman, Dorsett, Jakobi Meyers and Gunner Olszewski on the depth chart.  Yeah, Gunner is staying, Gordon isn't.   But he's big on special teams so that gets you an in with Bill.

Hopegully Gordon gets picked up by another team and can stay on the straight and narrow.   Without football, it can get dicey with him.  Even with football, it can. 

While it is unclear whether the league or Vikings will choose to discipline Kearse in the form of a suspension, Minnesota does have a bit of good news coming its way this week. Cornerback Holton Hill returns after he spent the past eight weeks sidelined by two separate suspensions handed down from the NFL -- one for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs and another for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

When his second suspension was handed down in July, Hill spent most of training camp taking fourth-team reps, which he called a "humbling experience." He remained in Minnesota throughout his suspension and was allowed to be in the team facility for the past four weeks.

"It was tough. But I tried to use it as a positive aspect, just watch and let it motivate me to go harder, just so I can come back and match their energy," Hill said. "Just being really attentive in meetings. And when I was able to work out, just going hard and realizing when I was out that I wanted to come back full speed."

Hill is eligible to return to practice this week, which could provide important depth in Minnesota's secondary should he be active in Week 9. While the cornerback said he isn't concerned with being rusty, what his role will be in this defense upon being activated remains unknown.

"I'm just taking it day by day," he said. "I'm willing to do anything from special teams to playing on the defensive side. Whatever the team needs me to do, I'm willing to take on that role."

This is a new one. 

Washington Redskins tackle Trent Williams failed his physical Wednesday, casting more doubt on his immediate playing future.

Williams, who ended his holdout Tuesday, did not pass his physical because there was discomfort when he put on his helmet. Williams underwent surgery to remove a growth on his head in the offseason.

Redskins interim coach Bill Callahan said that Williams would have passed the physical otherwise. He said he wasn't sure if Williams needed to have a specially-designed helmet.

The Redskins were given a two-week roster exemption for Williams. There's no guarantee he plays for Washington again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Dude is a bad ass and seems to be a really good guy, but shit he’s made out of glass. How many seasons has he missed time? Specifically, didn’t finish or start due to injury?

In the last 4 seasons, he’s played 33 games.  Before that, he’d played in all 16 games his first 5 years (according to nfl.com)

Edited by Trey3216

The Buccaneers signed outside linebacker Sam Acho. Acho posted the news on social media.

The Bucs placed tight end Antony Auclair on injured reserve with a toe injury in a corresponding move, Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Carl Nassib (groin) and Anthony Nelson (hamstring) both left Sunday’s game and did not return. 

Acho is familiar with the Tampa Bay defense, having played for Bruce Arians and Todd Bowles in Arizona in 2013-14. He had 11 sacks in those two seasons.

He has not played this season and made only one tackle in four games with the Bears last season.

Auclair played eight games with five starts this season, his third in Tampa. He made his only catch of the season Sunday, gaining 11 yards.

This mother fucker is even dumber than we thought. His 2-year career is over. 

The Miami Dolphins waived running back Mark Walton after he was arrested Tuesday morning on a charge of aggravated battery of a pregnant woman.

According to a police document released to ESPN, Walton is accused of pushing the woman into a wall and punching her several times in her face and head. Walton is currently being booked into Broward County jail.

The officer called to the scene observed swelling to the woman's left eye. The woman is five weeks pregnant, and Walton is the father. She told officers that she had told Walton about the pregnancy on Sunday.

The alleged aggravated battery occurred at 4:15 a.m. Tuesday in Davie, Florida, after an argument.

A message to Walton's agent for a response was not immediately returned.

Walton, 22, was through two games of a four-game league suspension for violating the NFL conduct and substance abuse policy relating to his three offseason arrests between January and March. He was released by the Cincinnati Bengals after these arrests, and the Dolphins signed him in May.

• 2 weeks later...

Scroll to the last paragraph for previous examples of his intelligence. 

Arizona Cardinals cornerback Josh Shaw was suspended indefinitely through at least the 2020 season for betting on NFL games on multiple occasions this season, the NFL announced Friday.

Shaw has not played a down this season for the Cardinals. He was put on injured reserve on Aug. 25 with a shoulder injury.

He can file an appeal of the suspension within three days.

The NFL's investigation into Shaw did not uncover evidence that indicated he used inside information or that any game was compromised. The NFL also announced that Shaw's teammates, coaches or other players around league were not aware of Shaw's gambling.

Shaw has not been around the Cardinals much this season.

"The continued success of the NFL depends directly on each of us doing everything necessary to safeguard the integrity of the game and the reputations of all who participate in the league. At the core of this responsibility is the longstanding principle that betting on NFL games, or on any element of a game, puts at risk the integrity of the game, damages public confidence in the NFL, and is forbidden under all circumstances," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "If you work in the NFL in any capacity, you may not bet on NFL football." Betting on football is one of 10 restrictions on legal gambling that the NFL laid out in its gambling policy.

"All NFL Personnel are prohibited from placing, soliciting, or facilitating any bet, whether directly or indirectly through a third-party, on any NFL game, practice or other event," the policy states. "This includes betting on game outcome, statistics, score, performance of any individual participant, or any other kind of "proposition bet" on which wagering is offered."

Shaw can petition for reinstatement on or after Feb. 15, 2021 if his possible appeal is denied.

The Cardinals signed Shaw on March 18 to a one-year contract worth $850,000. He's made more than $3 million in his career.

Shaw, 27, was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the fourth round of the 2015 draft. After playing his first three seasons in Cincinnati, Shaw split time between the Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season.

Shaw made headlines in 2014, while at USC, when he said he suffered a high ankle sprain jumping from a second-story apartment to save his 7-year-old nephew who was struggling in a pool. Shaw later admitted to lying about that story and was suspended indefinitely by the school.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a fucking badass LB corps. 

Vaughan Johnson, a member of the New Orleans Saints' legendary "Dome Patrol" linebacking corps, died Thursday night at age 57 in North Carolina, according to Saints Hall of Fame general manager Ken Trahan.

The four-time Pro Bowler had been battling kidney disease for several years and lung failure most recently, according to Trahan's report for CrescentCitySports.com.

Johnson began his career with the USFL's Jacksonville Bulls in 1984-85 before spending eight seasons with the Saints and one with the Philadelphia Eagles. Known as a punishing hitter, the 6-foot-3, 235-pounder finished his career with 669 tackles, 12 sacks and 11 forced fumbles.

Denver Broncos coach Vic Fangio, who was Johnson's position coach in New Orleans, told ESPN's Chris Mortensen: "He was a great teammate, loved by everyone. He was a ferocious hitter and great all around ILB. And feared by the RBs in the league when he played. Ask Roger Craig."

Johnson is the second member of the Dome Patrol to die at an early age, following Sam Mills, who died of intestinal cancer 45 in 2005.

Pro Football Hall of Famer Rickey Jackson and Pat Swilling were the other two members of the fierce foursome, which produced a combined 18 Pro Bowl selections among them. They made history in 1992 by all being selected to the Pro Bowl together.

"He was one of the best players and best people I ever played with," Jackson told Crescent City Sports. "He was never fighting with anyone, the most generous guy I ever knew. He loved everybody. He was the greatest teammate I ever had. He would hit so hard. He was a great player and a great man. I am truly going to miss him. He was my brother. He was more than a teammate. He was my great friend for life."