Tom Herman Is Pressing His Buttcheeks Against Your Mirror & Forcing You To Stare At It

closetojumping

7 minutes ago, The Golden Hat said:

Somehow we have managed to only lose 2 games by a combined 2 touchdowns

With Charlie we saw Texas when led by an idiot.

With Herman we're getting Texas led by a dude with some flaws, but who at least has the organizational/recruiting part of the Death Star humming again.

54 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

This epitomizes Texas football in the time most of us have been alive. It's mind-boggling, what this program has settled for. It's mind-boggling that we've been as mediocre as much of the time as we have over the past 35 years.

Going back to the 1984 season, which is an arbitrary point that I selected in order to maximize the extent of our mediocrity, we've won our conference six times, one of those by probation-related default (1994). Six times out of 35 seasons and while we're not eliminated from 2019, we don't look like this is the year to add our whopping seventh conference title to the wall.

Alabama has won six national championships in the past 35 (actually 27) years. 

But let's be patient with obviously bad decisions. There's no need for accountability as long as things are generally, glacially trending in the right direction. 

What's so surprising about that?

1984 happens to coincide with the start of Akers' down turn, which we spent almost a decade recovering from. Then Mack, for all his wins, just didn't win conference championships--he either lost to OU or blew a couple of winnable games after beating OU. Mack's down turn began in 2010, he couldn't do the rebuild and left a crappy depth chart in key areas.  Follow that with "Three Years of the Charlie," after which the depth chart still isn't fixed. Now you want to knee jerk fire the guy who's gone 22-12 rebuilding and is having some success restoring depth. Cuz' 22-12 after three years of 16-21 is an obviously bad decision.

Yeah, "We're Texas.'" It's just that nobody but us gives a shit. We're not simply entitled to the kind of success other teams have earned. We have to earn it, too, and that starts with digging out of the hole we've been in for years. Herman is doing that. He's not flawless, and he may not be the guy who gets us back to the next level, but he's going to be here for a few more years at least, so you might as well hope for the best.   

11 minutes ago, The Golden Hat said:

Well we had a similar situation with the baseball team earlier this year where they were winning games but looking like shit and it eventually caught up to them. Granted in football you can stretch smoke and mirrors out with so many fewer games...

And granted it is not like we have too many top 10 teams left on the schedule.

But that doesn't disprove that fact that there are big problems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

If you define promised Land as getting someone who has had season tickets for 28 years to finally give up and let them go given 1 national championship and 5 conference championships during that run.

I do believe he is that level of head coach. 

Sucking sucks, and Herman is a master at it.

Haha if Charlie didn't but Herman somehow did with a 5-2 record the season after winning a Sugar Bowl (while I obviously think this staff/team has real issues) I don't know what your fucking deal is at all.

• Like 1

Just now, The Golden Hat said:

I'm agreeing. I don't know how we stayed close to LSU and the land thieves. Sam, I guess.

We have talent and made some plays.

It is really Herman's saving grace right now, he is fixing the roster. But we still have a ways to go, right now we have talent but lack depth and experience.

It would be cool if we could play G5 level defense or know something about how to do return plays on special teams to. I hear those are important.

5 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

The fact that you think Herman is digging us out of a hole, while the team's performance has actually gone down in each and every game this year tells me what I need to know about you.

The facts say that. Going from 16-21 to 22-12 is upward movement. Some historically problematic aspects of the depth chart have been improved. If, God forbid, Herman should be plowed under by a UT shuttle bus crossing the street tomorrow, the verdict would be that he left us better than he found us. 

What Herman has yet to demonstrate is that he can make us as good as we want to be. And, yeah, the Kansas game was a depressing win. But again, Herman is going to be here for at least a few more years. Deal with it. 

• Like 4

The package and personnel issues are the hardest to get past on offense. For all the insistence on "best 11", trotting out Epps and jag tight ends at h is unacceptable. We have playmakers all over the sidelines and are watching Epps get beat for contested balls every time. When he does catch it, he's not making anyone miss. They must start mixing in rbs and hybrid guys at H to provide a schematic advantage. Current personnel not cutting it. I don't care if Herman does nothing to the offensive staff as long as he makes schematic changes that put our actual "best 11" on the field.

On defense, fire Todd. I like Todd, he's a good man and recruiter, but fire the fuck out of Todd Orlando and throw cash at the best young DC you can find. Go get Scalley from Utah and let him decide who else to keep, if anyone. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tired Horn said:

Good for you.

Then you shouldn't need to waste your time here sniveling so bitterly about UT football. Have the courage of your convictions.

The crazy ex-girlfriend on this thread is clearly over her ex. I know because of the amount of time and effort she's taking in letting us know.

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

On a similar note, you shouldn't need to waste your time responding to my posts and after this one, I won't with yours.

Can we reach a similar agreement?

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

It's pretty fucking bad. 

Seems like you haven't been watching the team play much.

Which is to your benefit.

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

It's pretty fucking bad. 

Seems like you haven't been watching the team play much.

Which is to your benefit.

I get it. I mean they are not much fun to watch. They are sloppy and can't do anything well consistently. Their defense is to the point that forcing a punt is a game highlight. But the team clearly has really talented players and does make plays. I don't know what it all means for the long term.

We will see what it looks like at the end of the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I get it. I mean they are not much fun to watch. They are sloppy and can't do anything well consistently. Their defense is to the point that forcing a punt is a game highlight. But the team clearly has really talented players and does make plays. I don't know what it all means for the long term.

We will see what it looks like at the end of the season.

Seems like a reasonable take.

19 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

On defense, fire Todd. I like Todd, he's a good man and recruiter, but fire the fuck out of Todd Orlando and throw cash at the best young DC you can find. Go get Scalley from Utah and let him decide who else to keep, if anyone. 

tenor.gif

As for cancelling season tickets, well, if that's a choice folks are making for their own needs on how to allocate personal time and financial resources, great. But if anyone think it's making some kind of statement to the athletic department, know that the fund raising and season ticket sales under CDC are has high as they've pretty much ever been in Texas football, so yeah, that point isn't going to be made. 

There are a few possible outcomes this off season and we'll know exactly where we are as a program:

Herman Makes Changes On His Own
CDC Forces Herman to Make Changes
No Changes Are Made Nor Imposed

I'm not assigning percentages, that's a fucking waste of time. But we'll know exactly who and where we are as a program and athletic department in a few short months. I'm still bullish long term on Del Conte, so I think he'll either help Herman see the light this season, or he'll shot put him into the sun after season 4 and have a list of guys raring to go. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Herman Makes Changes On His Own
CDC Forces Herman to Make Changes
No Changes Are Made Nor Imposed

I think it's fucking hysterical that you wrote a post that long and then said that assigning percentages is a big waste of time. Meanwhile, it's pretty obvious to me that the 2nd option is by far the most likely. Probably as it should be. Don't curb a coach's stubborn loyalty, just redirect it when necessary. When it comes to coaches, the difference between stupid and brilliant is frequently just timing, after all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm still bullish long term on Del Conte, so I think he'll either help Herman see the light this season, or he'll shot put him into the sun after season 4 and have a list of guys raring to go. 

This is where I am. I hope it's the former because I don't want to throw away another year of my football life.

The biggest issue on defense for me is tackling. I get that they are mixing in a lot of young guys due to injuries, which leads to confusion on the field, but I don't understand why the tackling is so bad. Even if you are young, you were a highly rated defensive player out of high school and should know the basics of tackling. Orlando needs to simplify the scheme for the younger guys to understand or they are toast on the road against some good offenses we still have on schedule. Not sure how they caught the tackling AIDS though.

On offense, they often have the wrong personnel to execute a play. Sometimes, I feel like the call would have worked just fine if we had so and so on the field rather than pushing it with unproven guys. I don't know if this is Tom's way of telling the guys that he treats everyone equally and that anyone on the roster should be able to execute a play he designs or just being stubborn.

23 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

The crazy ex-girlfriend on this thread is clearly over her ex. I know because of the amount of time and effort she's taking in letting us know.

That's pretty good.

But we do have to take into account that he's done something no mere mortal can--purchased season tickets. Surely no one else on this board has ever done such a thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't know what it all means for the long term.

This is where my frustration and mild pessimism come from-- we are not as far along as I hoped and we seem to be trending in the wrong direction defensively. And, after 35 years of patience, I'm concerned that we're all going to agree to be Good Football Fans and just wait patiently over the next six years as Herman tries to fix the problems that are gradually more and more his making. 

9 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I think it's fucking hysterical that you wrote a post that long and then said that assigning percentages is a big waste of time. Meanwhile, it's pretty obvious to me that the 2nd option is by far the most likely. Probably as it should be. Don't curb a coach's stubborn loyalty, just redirect it when necessary. When it comes to coaches, the difference between stupid and brilliant is frequently just timing, after all.

I'm not sure how it it takes you to type buddy, but that was about 35 seconds of my life. Making up percentages when I have zero insight or leanings toward probable outcomes but will be held accountable for at a later date, well, that would require some thought. More than 35 seconds of it.

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

And pass rush, and pass coverage, and giving up points, and overall regarded defensive scheme, and kick off returns, and blocking DL stunts, and offensive scheme, and player development.

I don't disagree all those are problem areas (our entire defense is) but some of those problems are exacerbated by poor tackling. Too often the opposing player runs by them and our guy makes a lame effort to put a hand on him. Just mind bottling!

Watching the tackling in the Georgia game, I can't understand how a team can fall this far in a few months in basic fundamentals. 

Edited by ShowMeALoss

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

And, after 35 years of patience, I'm concerned that we're all going to agree to be Good Football Fans and just wait patiently over the next six years as Herman tries to fix the problems that are gradually more and more his making. 

This is a very specific fear. I'd suggest worrying about the short term because we only get 11-13 games a year and no one knows what's going to happen. That's why watching sports is fun.

6 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

This is where my frustration and mild pessimism come from-- we are not as far along as I hoped and we seem to be trending in the wrong direction defensively. And, after 35 years of patience, I'm concerned that we're all going to agree to be Good Football Fans and just wait patiently over the next six years as Herman tries to fix the problems that are gradually more and more his making. 

You can agree to be a Good Football Fan. Meanwhile, i'll continue to scream at the same fucking retards who sucked off Mack from 2010-2014, and who apologized for Strong...who are STILL apologizing for Strong, and who now will plant their face in the sand regarding Herman needing more time, and less injuries, etc. What the fuck else am I doing to do except rail about this shit online and to the athletic department? Certainly not enjoy the football product. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure how it it takes you to type buddy, but that was about 35 seconds of my life. Making up percentages when I have zero insight or leanings toward probable outcomes but will be held accountable for at a later date, well, that would require some thought. More than 35 seconds of it.

Might wanna up your daily dosage, then.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3mx2HGQ0wqLBF-hwKHf2

1 hour ago, The Golden Hat said:

and kansas fans are happy that they should've won saturday's game against us. moral victories are great if you ignore the steaming pile of shit since the OSU game. we have enough evidence to know what kind of team that we have and what shortcomings we have on the coaching staff.

we love to make fun of aggy but with this staff, we're not winning any conference championship any time soon, especially with riley at ou.

recruits are starting to also notice the shit product on the field.

They are sloppy and can't do anything well consistently. Their defense is to the point that forcing a punt is a game highlight. But the team clearly has really talented players and does make plays.

Those two thoughts followed by your third are really what demonstrate our issue here.

For all of that talent, we can't really do anything designed and intentional well. Sometimes one of our athletes makes a play, but not really because it was schemed well, we just had a better athlete.

It's about time we complimented those athletes with some schemes that help them more than hurt them (literally and figuratively).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Unless you're a bot, I'm guessing he hasn't murdered you yet.  But did he at least fuck your wife?

I don't know. Hell, I don't want to know. She seems pretty busy with other shit, though. He's RollLeft, the Lothario of Surly, so I'm admittedly concerned now that you mention it.

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

He was going to do one about the defense, but after starting he decided to sit in his garage with the car running 

If you look, though, much of what I wrote is about the defense. Even the rant about offensive personnel choices devolved into defensive choices as well.

1 hour ago, Tired Horn said:

The facts say that. Going from 16-21 to 22-12 is upward movement. Some historically problematic aspects of the depth chart have been improved. If, God forbid, Herman should be plowed under by a UT shuttle bus crossing the street tomorrow, the verdict would be that he left us better than he found us. 

What Herman has yet to demonstrate is that he can make us as good as we want to be. And, yeah, the Kansas game was a depressing win. But again, Herman is going to be here for at least a few more years. Deal with it. 

Note that my original post was about calling out bullshit decisions and behaviors I'm seeing, but not begging for Herman or anyone else besides the rape-enabler be shown the door. I'm religiously involved with this program, and I am tired of UT losing and looking incompetent on the field, so I'll continue to cross my fingers and hope that the head narcissist-in-charge figures some shit out and keeps us on an upward trajectory. And I'll continue to entertain myself with my own absurd tumbledowns on Surly and elsewhere in life.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

Going 15-5 the last 20 games, compared to 9-11 the previous 20 games before that has this fan base on edge. 

Considering we were a cunt hair away from losing to Kansas at home, I think being on edge is warranted. That alone would be grounds to terminate Herman. 

But the bigger issue is we see the trend in our defensive performances and realize the there is a high likelihood of a few more losses coming our way. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

so I'll continue to cross my fingers and hope that the head narcissist-in-charge figures some shit out and keeps us on an upward trajectory. And I'll continue to entertain myself with my own absurd tumbledowns on Surly and elsewhere in life.

This is where I'm worried.  TH seems mired in his own excess analysis.  He's overthinking this instead of getting back to basics.  It's not always about nuance.  Especially on defense.  They need to dial things down, simplify the schemes, and let their players play.  You can see how puckered they all are.  Even Sam is playing tight.  

Our defense seems like Shaq practicing free throws.  No matter how much time you put in, it's a flawed process.  Change is needed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

I am, by cancelling my season tickets.

Again, so Strong didn’t force you to do this but Herman who is immensely better than Strong is just more than you can handle.  You seem like a troll.  I’m not sure that I have ever seen even one of your posts that weren’t just completed awful.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1