Drop a line from a TV show/film that really struck you

Goo Punch

"We got there, there was so much blood you could taste the metal. "

-Mike Ehrmantraut, Breaking Bad

What a description. I can feel it every time I hear it. It's part of a speech by Mike that is absolutely one of the best scenes in the entire series. Top 5 scene for me. Why it isn't available on youtube I have no idea. But that scene, and line, are outstanding. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

"a life jimmy, you know what that is?  it's the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come."

I dunno, a good case....

Then a friend walks by. "Hey Joe, it's me, can you help me out?" And the friend jumps in the hole! Our guy says "Are you stupid? Now we're both down here!" and the friend says, "Yeah, but I've been down here before, and I know the way out." 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12.  Jesus, does anyone?

I didn't understand that one until I got older.  I remember my dad and I driving back home from the theater.  I was ten or eleven at the time.  I don't remember our exact conversation but I remember taking away from the movie that that line was significant.  It would be 25 years or so, long after dad died, that I'd realize why it was important.  You have this narrow window, relative to your whole lifespan, where you had friends simply because you enjoyed each other's company and adventures with one another.  Maybe it was geography and date of birth, sure.  But you never had friends like you did when you were around 8-14.  And the way Dreyfus says it as he types it, after that harrowing adventure they all shared and then the "where are they now" part.  It's kind of inspiring when you're young, watching it as an 11-year old with your dad on his Wednesday night with you as part of the decree.  But you get older and it's a fucking gut-punch.  We were young once and we walked together for the simple pleasure of seeing where the path would take us.  At this age now, it's just about transactions.  

Let me add, with the first line, "You ever get lonely?" 

"Only around people."  

Edited by Lobo

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12.  Jesus, does anyone?

This is the opening to The Body, the novella on which Stand By Me is based—

“The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them -- words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while you were saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear.”

It’s one of the most powerful passages I’ve ever read in any book. (Yeah, I know, this is a thread about TV/film quotes, not books. But TwiceHorn brought it up, and fuck you, Thread Police.)

• Like 3

I didn't understand that one until I got older.  I remember my dad and I driving back home from the theater.  I was ten or eleven at the time.  I don't remember our exact conversation but I remember taking away from the movie that that line was significant.  It would be 25 years or so, long after dad died, that I'd realize why it was important.  You have this narrow window, relative to your whole lifespan, where you had friends simply because you enjoyed each other's company and adventures with one another.  Maybe it was geography and date of birth, sure.  But you never had friends like you did when you were around 8-14.  And the way Dreyfus says it as he types it, after that harrowing adventure they all shared and then the "where are they now" part.  It's kind of inspiring when you're young, watching it as an 11-year old with your dad on his Wednesday night with you as part of the decree.  But you get older and it's a fucking gut-punch.  We were young once and we walked together for the simple pleasure of seeing where the path would take us.  At this age now, it's just about transactions.  

Let me add, with the first line, "You ever get lonely?" 
"Only around people."  

Well said. And I never want that feeling to go away. I’m 43 and still explore the tracks and abandoned places with my friends. It’s a good substitute, but not the same as if it were those friends I had back then.
  • Like 1

"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment.  The only healthy way to live is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

• Like 5

I just honestly don't know what I have in common with those people anymore... or with anyone, really. I mean, they'll all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and, you know, they'll have made themselves a part of something, and they can talk about what they do. And what am I going to say? "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How have you been?"

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I just honestly don't know what I have in common with those people anymore... or with anyone, really. I mean, they'll all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and, you know, they'll have made themselves a part of something, and they can talk about what they do. And what am I going to say? "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How have you been?"

Goddamn great movie

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well said. And I never want that feeling to go away. I’m 43 and still explore the tracks and abandoned places with my friends. It’s a good substitute, but not the same as if it were those friends I had back then.

Please say your friends aren't still 12 year-olds.

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try it again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb. They refuse. They cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

• Like 1