2019-2020 PGA Tour

Lurch

14 minutes ago, number6 said:

After two years of weather setbacks, disappointing attendance and declining financial results, the PGA Tour has decided that the 2020 AT&T Byron Nelson in May will be the last one held at Trinity Forest Golf Club.

Will it return to Las Colinas??

dallas golfers, please explain to me why you build a treeless course, in the middle of a 'forest' ?

i always thought they out thought themselves on this one. not a links fan, so never was a fan. always looked to me like they wasted a great golf course spot. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Will it return to Las Colinas??

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/golf/2020/01/12/doomed-from-the-start-hosting-the-byron-nelson-at-trinity-forest-wasnt-a-failure-but-it-was-always-a-bad-idea/

Eventually, the tournament will move to PGA Frisco but it may need to make a stopover back at the Four Seasons TPC for 2021, which is sort of like telling your ex-wife: “Hey, things didn’t work out with my new partner, but I need to come home and crash before moving on to my next one, is that OK?’’

Last year’s Nelson reportedly generated about half the $6 million that the 2017 event held in Las Colinas produced. That was reason enough for the PGA Tour to pull the plug.

But if this tournament is going to draw the date immediately before the PGA Championship, it will never produce the fields that Byron Nelson’s presence drew for the TPC course. Factor that in along with tough access, inadequate parking, an unfamiliar location and a course with no history and the Trinity Forest experiment was doomed from the beginning.

Edited by tx 3 putt

Put it at Maridoe. That would be a great test before the PGA. Maridoe is brutal. 

The course has five sets of tees and measures 7,834 yards from the tips with a rating of 80.5 and a slope of 155. The next set of tees is 7,311 yards with a rating of 76.7 and a slope of 150.

By comparison, the ratings and slope from the tips (7,404 yards) at Dallas National is 77.0 and 150, and at Trinity Forest, which will host the AT&T Byron Nelson next May, it is 76.0 and 134 from 7,450 yards.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/golf/2017/07/13/what-s-the-hardest-course-in-dallas-maridoe-gc-which-opens-for-play-saturday/

18 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

dallas golfers, please explain to me why you build a treeless course, in the middle of a 'forest' ?

i always thought they out thought themselves on this one. not a links fan, so never was a fan. always looked to me like they wasted a great golf course spot. 

It was a land-fill. It's my understanding they didn't clear a single tree to build it.

This was an epic fail from the very beginning. The city of Dallas could fuck up a wet dream.

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It was a land-fill. It's my understanding they didn't clear a single tree to build it.

This was an epic fail from the very beginning. The city of Dallas could fuck up a wet dream.

that makes sense. im guessing it's a huge dallas social thing to be a member ?

19 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

that makes sense. im guessing it's a huge dallas social thing to be a member ?

I don't know anybody that is a member at Trinity Forest. It was a logistical nightmare getting down there the first year. I didn't even bother this past year. It's going to Frisco ultimately but my guess is it goes back to Las Colinas in the interim.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I just heard this news and this was my immediate thought. Needs to be at Maridoe. Secondarily, Dallas National, Preston Trail or Vaquero. 

They can't do it at Preston Trail. There's no room for the hospitality stuff that's needed for a PGA Tour event. Would be great though as that's an awesome track. I know the concern for Dallas National was always space but they were talking about trying to have a major there. (The other rub against DN and a major was DN's refusal to host any of the USGA's smaller national events that are usually a requirement as a run-up.) I think it might be fun to take it to Dallas Athletic Club. They hosted a major out there back in the 1960's and it's a great venue with 36 holes. There are more scratch golfers at DAC than any other course in the Metroplex.

16 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

There is no way there are more scratch golfers at fucking DAC than DN, PT, ROCC or Brook Hollow. DAC has the facilities for it, but it’s no longer anywhere near PGA ready and it can’t get there. Not long enough and not difficult enough and very little you can do without a major redo that’d piss off your membership. 

Granted I haven't checked the fact in a few years but not long ago that was absolutely the case. There were more scratch golfers at DAC than any other club in DFW. Preston Trail isn't overrun with good players, just a bunch of rich dudes who want a cool, men-only place to hang out. The membership is also very, very small compared to other places that are serious golf clubs. DAC's identity is golf and it's not as crazy expensive -- or difficult to get in -- as Dallas National or Brook Hollow (and even Royal Oaks to an extent). I would just caution against getting involved in money games at DAC.

This is dated but I remember hearing this claim later than 2008: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jerry-tarde-letter-2011-09

You can test your potential for athletic greatness by taking the Golf Digest Combine, developed by renowned trainer Gray Cook, with staff writer Max Adler. We put the combine to the test in July at the Dallas Athletic Club, which Golf Digest ranked in 2008 as having the best playing membership in the country (26 players scratch or better).

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I can’t dislike any athlete more than I do those two knuckleheads. Don’t pictures jack and Arnie acting like that. Neither of these guys have any class...

I don’t really care for either of them, but a tip of the cap to Koepka, that is world class twitter game.

Players heading over seas for an appearance fee has gone on for years. I remember when Curtis Strange was the 2-time defending US Open champion and skipped the entire West Coast swing. When asked about it he asked how much the tour money leader has made so far, and he replied he had that covered.

Money talks, always has, always will.

It isn't like he skipped a major

Edited by Wally Fairway

Some nice pairing for Torrey (and tee times - PST)

Big Cat, Rahm, Morikawa 9:40 North/10:40 South
Rory, Cam Smith, Sneds  9:30 North/10:30 South
Rickie, Phil, Xander 10:40 South/9:30 North
Day, Rose, Spieth - 10:30 South/9:20 North

Interesting to see if any of the big names are in form, or just getting in some competitive rounds